SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,735 Posts
I agree. In the beginning of this thread, there were two kinds of people. The folks who had experiences flying CP helis said this thing was pretty cool. The folks who didn't found it very difficult and complained. In my experience, it's been all about learning to mix your cyclic inputs while you turn. You can't expect to control it like a coax or a flybarred heli.

Now, that being said, I was definitely in the second category. It took me two weeks of some real frustration and practice until I started to feel more proficient with this. When Blade said that this was an Intermediate machine, they definitely meant it!

Also, another complaint that I heard a lot of was that you'd learn bad behaviors trying to fy this thing. I don't buy that anymore now that I've been flying it for 6 months. As far as I can tell, I haven't learned any bad behaviors with my MSRX that prohibit me from flying any of my flybarred helis or now my Nanos. If anything, the MSRX was a much better stepping stone to start learning the Nano than if I had gone up from my MSR.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Dec 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added a little more of my experience
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
Go small or go home
ruzam's Avatar
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post
I had a count (with difficulty and a magnifying glass) and it has 8 pinions.

...

These two motors that I have are with green markers and they have to be reverse connected.
That's really weird. You definitely got an MSRX motor, but with Nano motor pin markings on the connector. I don't know how that could even happen at an assembly plant. The two motors are a different size with a different pinion, so it's not like they can accidentally end up in the wrong production line and have the wrong plug attached. Maybe you have a collector's item

I wonder if HH tried to design the Nano around the MSRX motor, or whether they just started fresh with what ever motor they thought should do the job. I mean, the two motors are so close in performance requirements, I think the Nano could have easily been designed to use the same motor/gear combo. A slightly different main gear tooth count would have made the motor pinion gear change unnecessary. It makes sense in my mind to ramp up volume with a common motor, but maybe marketing sees it otherwise. There might be more end value in having a wide selection of non-compatible parts. Maybe it slows down the clones and aftermarket suppliers?

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the HH design meetings...
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I agree. In the beginning of this thread, there were two kinds of people. The folks who had experiences flying CP helis said this thing was pretty cool. The folks who didn't found it very difficult and complained. In my experience, it's been all about learning to mix your cyclic inputs while you turn. You can't expect to control it like a coax or a flybarred heli.

Now, that being said, I was definitely in the second category. It took me two weeks of some real frustration and practice until I started to feel more proficient with this. When Blade said that this was an Intermediate machine, they definitely meant it!

Also, another complaint that I heard a lot of was that you'd learn bad behaviors trying to fy this thing. I don't buy that anymore now that I've been flying it for 6 months. As far as I can tell, I haven't learned any bad behaviors with my MSRX that prohibit me from flying any of my flybarred helis or now my Nanos. If anything, the MSRX was a much better stepping stone to start learning the Nano than if I had gone up from my MSR.
I have to agree. I was also in the second class. Major buyers remorse transitioning from a mcx v 1. However, with a Nano under the tree, I have been practicing and can FINALLY do figure 8's inside and make it do what I want it to. The other day I flew it outside and, after some crazy laps around the yard i broight in at warp speed and skidded to a stop right at my feet.


Yeah. I love this thing now.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I have to agree. I was also in the second class. Major buyers remorse transitioning from a mcx v 1. However, with a Nano under the tree, I have been practicing and can FINALLY do figure 8's inside and make it do what I want it to. The other day I flew it outside and, after some crazy laps around the yard i broight in at warp speed and skidded to a stop right at my feet.


Yeah. I love this thing now.
LOL. From a MCX? Yeah, I can see that. I went from a MSR/9958/V911 to a MSRX and there were times in the first couple of weeks of ownership that I wanted to drop kick it out the window...

My favorite mods are the RakonHeli swash & blade grips as well as a mCPX tail boom & motor. I kept the MSRX tail blade though.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:10 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Actually, I stopped contributing on this thread due the the argy bargy back and forth.

I got very tired of being written to like I was an idiot or something when in fact, I've been flying for a long time.

Now in restrospect, I think it's turned out to be a better heli than some were saying. I'm using a totally standard pair of helis. They're fine.

Robo-Heli, it hasn't taught me one bad habit. That was indeed, one of the things that came up time and time again and I can still fly bigger machines with ease. The MSRx hasn't turned me into a poor pilot. I felt that that was a load of tommy rot when I read it as well.

The other thing were the guys harping on about this 'flawed' heli. They all fly differently and it's what makes the hobby rock. I learned the MSRx in small steps, just like a big one and it paid off. I think that many expect to buy this heli and throw it around straight from the start because they're used to helis that don't need too much controlling.

Going the other way makes this heli seem much easier. It really depends where you are coming from.

I learned it by flying very slowly and watching exactly what it was doing on turns. Once you grasp that, it becomes easier and you can then speed up. I send the MSRx very high up now and it's amazing up there. Like a little bee. And fast too.

As far as these new motors I have goes, I ordered some more and they have arrived with the green markers again!!

These motors 'seem' quite good. They have a bit more poke I think or else my old one was very tired. They have to be plugged in backwards, so I've contacted the shop to ask what is going on.

They are in official Horizon bags so I don't think that they are equivalents. We have had a shortage of motors in the UK for a couple of months now and when I saw these, I jumped and bought all their stock. They are a well known Blade company in the UK and are very good.

http://www.rc-choppers.com/index.cfm...ith-pinion-581

The picture is a standard one but the motors I'm receiving from them are different. Let's see what they say ........
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,735 Posts
Hi iancraig10! Nice to hear from you again. Yours was one of the voices that convinced me that the MSRX was worth trying out once I had gotten good with the MSR. All I can say is that I'm glad that I did! It was definitely worth it. It was the first helicopter that I could really take outside and fly in light wind. That meant that I could go out when I wanted to go out rather than waiting for a perfectly calm day and then rushing out to go fly with the MSR and other flybarred helis.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
I can now say with some authority that the MSR x is a PERFECT training platform for the Nano.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I can now say with some authority that the MSR x is a PERFECT training platform for the Nano.
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi iancraig10! Nice to hear from you again. Yours was one of the voices that convinced me that the MSRX was worth trying out once I had gotten good with the MSR. All I can say is that I'm glad that I did! It was definitely worth it. It was the first helicopter that I could really take outside and fly in light wind. That meant that I could go out when I wanted to go out rather than waiting for a perfectly calm day and then rushing out to go fly with the MSR and other flybarred helis.
Hi,

I went quiet. Thought it wasn't worth sitting here chatting with people who were talking down to me!!

I'm glad you stuck with the MSRx. It's really worth the effort and not as difficult as people make out. Judging by what I saw on videos, people were using the sticks too enthusiastically and literally throwing it in the air and then trying to recover. When it became difficult to recover, they announced it a 'flawed' heli.

Tiny movements, close observation and a little bit of intelligence gets it flying beautifully and the funny thing is - I can still fly the bigger ones in spite of learning how to fly the MSRx!!

I think one of its advantages is that you actually have to learn how to fly it and it is, as you say, less influenced by wind outside than the original MSR. Great training for outdoor flying.

I now wait for a little bit of wind to take it out since it sharpens my reactions. Up to a point, the windier it goes, the better training for you as a heli flyer. I even fly it at long distance now, to the point of just being able to see it!! It's a hilarious little heli and I really like it a lot.

If you've learned this one and can actually control and hold it, then the step to a Nano or MCPx is just a little easier. Or even a bigger one which will be even easier to hold if you can get over the size issue and the speed of the rotors. The bigger ones are a bit less prone to wander all over the place by comparison.

They are indeed, great trainers.
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
Crash Test Dummy
powdermnky007's Avatar
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
Good thread. I was about to toss my MSR X that I got for christmas this year until I found someone mention having your transmitter set in Acro mode. That helped ALOT!!!!!

I didn't read this entire thread, but I read about 50 pages. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on it. I found this in the manual.

Installing the Flight Battery
1. Lower the throttle to the lowest setting.
2. Power on the transmitter.
3. Install the battery in the helicopter by sliding it into the battery mounting supports/slots just below the main
gears. Slide the battery into the slots with the label facing downward and the connector oriented toward the
back of the helicopter.
4. Connect the battery cable to the 4-in-1 control unit.
NOTICE: Do not allow the helicopter to move until the blue LED on the 4-in-1 control unit is solid.

The part I'm curious about is the notice. And yes, the notice is in bold in the manual, so I think it's pretty important. Maybe that's the Gyros 'calibrating' for lack of a better word. Your thoughts?
powdermnky007 is offline Find More Posts by powdermnky007
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:49 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdermnky007 View Post
Good thread. I was about to toss my MSR X that I got for christmas this year until I found someone mention having your transmitter set in Acro mode. That helped ALOT!!!!!

I didn't read this entire thread, but I read about 50 pages. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on it. I found this in the manual.

Installing the Flight Battery
1. Lower the throttle to the lowest setting.
2. Power on the transmitter.
3. Install the battery in the helicopter by sliding it into the battery mounting supports/slots just below the main
gears. Slide the battery into the slots with the label facing downward and the connector oriented toward the
back of the helicopter.
4. Connect the battery cable to the 4-in-1 control unit.
NOTICE: Do not allow the helicopter to move until the blue LED on the 4-in-1 control unit is solid.

The part I'm curious about is the notice. And yes, the notice is in bold in the manual, so I think it's pretty important. Maybe that's the Gyros 'calibrating' for lack of a better word. Your thoughts?
That's exactly right. Spooling up before that thing is solid is going to really test your piloting skills! You can experience it by moving your rudder trim more than a couple of clicks. This thing without the gyro is . . . an interesting experience.

BTW, I discovered a little tip for those who want a little more flight time. I have a bunch of hyperion 180's, which are flat 1S batteries and don't fit in the normal slot. I had a broken skid that I just replaced, so decided to try cutting off the battery tray in it and simply sliding the battery between the body and the skid - works GREAT! Now I can crash into walls for twice as long!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:42 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
After a year of coaxials, solo pros, a Dx6i, a 120sr, some quads and some practice, I'm moving on to a Msrx. Something to stunt about my lounge in the winter - I hope
Eric the Red is offline Find More Posts by Eric the Red
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:31 PM
Crash Test Dummy
powdermnky007's Avatar
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
I was understanding the Notice differently. I hold the helicopter in my hand while I plug in the battery and was afraid that moving the helicopter to set it down on the ground would mess up some sort of gyro calibration.

The way you are explaining it sounds like it should read "Do not FLY the helicopter until the blue light is solid."

See what I mean? Am I just over thinking this?
powdermnky007 is offline Find More Posts by powdermnky007
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
After a year of coaxials, solo pros, a Dx6i, a 120sr, some quads and some practice, I'm moving on to a Msrx. Something to stunt about my lounge in the winter - I hope
If you haven't read this thread you should take the time. The msrx is currently my favorite heli which is weird because I kinda hated it until I got my nano and mcpx and realized that the msrx is awesomely stable. It has "quirks" but with cyclic input when applying rudder and swash leveling it is sooo much fun to fly. My others are outdoor only and I am trying to learn 3d so I am beating the heck out of them but the msrx is pure zip around house or backyard fun.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:23 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
If you haven't read this thread you should take the time. The msrx is currently my favorite heli which is weird because I kinda hated it until I got my nano and mcpx and realized that the msrx is awesomely stable. It has "quirks" but with cyclic input when applying rudder and swash leveling it is sooo much fun to fly. My others are outdoor only and I am trying to learn 3d so I am beating the heck out of them but the msrx is pure zip around house or backyard fun.
+1. Funny how the Nano makes you appreciate the MSRx in a whole new way!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion mSR to mCP X transition Nomad57 Micro Helis 23 Dec 31, 2011 07:07 PM
Discussion Quick MSR/MCP-X question... bp_968 Micro Helis 10 Oct 23, 2011 06:28 PM
Discussion mSR vs mCP X Nomad57 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 28 Oct 02, 2011 11:32 AM
Sold Eflite mcpx mcp x rtf!!!! Msr sr120 sr hootie7159 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM
Sold Eflite Blade MSR Plus 2.4ghz Eflite Transmitter soaringcam Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Apr 07, 2010 10:27 AM