Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:21 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
If your msrx is wild - try this

Well I'll be darned. I've had my MSRX for a couple years now and gave up flying it inside. I just couldn't seem to tame it down. Mind you, I'm a fixed wing guy, and this little devil had me convinced that I needed to stay that way. I can fly it outside like a bat out of hell, but bring it inside and it's like a moth to a flame for the nearest wall.

Yesterday, I bought a Nano for myself for Christmas, so I was determined to learn to fly my MSRX inside. As usual, it was ugly. I was fine until I used rudder input and then - Sally bar the doors - off she went in whatever random direction she wanted while I yanked on the sticks to avoid whatever wall she was headed for.

And then it crashed - and it was the best thing that could have happened.

I picked her up, checked her over, and noticed that there was more play than usual in the feathering shaft - it has been wiggling up and down a bit (if you know more about heli's than I did, you realize where this is going), but I thought nothing of it - until she went berserk. Tail hold, forget it. She was all over the place.

A closer inspection helped me to realize that the gear at the bottom of the heli is only pressed on there (at least it is on mine). Over time, it was slowly moving down the shaft towards the battery, allowing more and more play in the feathering shaft, which meant more play in the swash, which meant that I was trying to point a wet noodle.

So, I pushed the gear up the shaft so there wasn't any play and instantly the little beast sounded nicer. Up she went and she is like a brand new heli! I easily flew her around the living room, dodging columns and furniture, and brought her - for the first time EVER - to a smooth landing on the coffee table.

SO - if your MSRX is a wild child - tame her by making sure the white gear that runs off the motor is pushed up tight against the main body. You might just get a whole new heli out of it.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:52 AM
Up, up & away...
USA, CA, Orinda
Joined Nov 2005
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Good times, man, good times.

Then of course, because the Nano is a collective pitch, you have to learn to hit the throttle hold switch on your TX (you DO have a computerized radio right?) rather than slamming the throttle to zero. If you kill throttle with the stick, you risk going to negative pitch and having the Nano crater itself into the ground!
If you programmed your transmitter as recommended, you have one flight mode that should mimc the MSRx better, i.e. the throttle controls the head speed from 0% to 100%. That could be a good way to transition to the Nano.

What I did, since I wanted more experience with the collective pitch while transitioning is to have my middle flight mode be:

left stick 0% 25% 50% 75% 100%
pitch 50% 65% 70% 90% 100%
throttle 0% 80% 90% 95% 100%

I've since made some mods but the gist of it is to prevent a negative pitch until I am completely trained to use the throttle hold when I am in trouble.

So far I'm loving the Nano.
eflyingman is offline Find More Posts by eflyingman
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
I'm thinking that my tail motor is dying a slow death. I notice that every once in awhile, my tail "kicks out" in a turn, or won't respond to rudder input. At first I thought that I was fighting with the AS3X, but it's happening more and more frequently. I am also noticing that it feels tight - I used to be able to get it to spin by blowing on it, but now it even feels stiff to move with my finger. SOOOOoo . . .

Any pointers on how to replace one of these? Looks like sodering will be involved, but does the new motor wire run through the tail boom, or do I cut off the old one where the heat shrink is on the old one?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:48 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
You could solder yourself - or bite the bullet and get the plug n play

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...t-msrx-BLH3202
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Perfect! Thanks!! Had no idea it would be one piece.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Perfect! Thanks!! Had no idea it would be one piece.

Yup. It's pretty trivial to remove with gentle (but firm) force to pull the boom out of the mainframe. Re-installing the boom just needs a little bit of care to avoid bending or crimping the wires but it goes in pretty easily.

If you're curious, you could also try a mCPX tail boom. They slide in exactly the same way. I'm flying these in my mSRXs right now and I like them better for outdoor use. I put the mSRX tail fin on it. They feel more stable and the longer boom should provide more torque when flying into the wind.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
235 Posts
mCX2 full body with LED lights on our mSRx?

Has anyone tried to do this here? I'm currently tuning up my mCX2 and the full body is just so cool. I would love to put this body on my V1 msr and one of my mSRx's.
Brian
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,696 Posts
I think someone's done this. Check over at Helifreak. They've got specific forums for the MSR and MSRX and there's a sticky thread in each of these forums that is devoted for people to publish pictures of their helicopters. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of these with the MCX2 body on it....

Let me know if you can't find the threads I'm talking about.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Has Blade seen the light with the motors? For some time, MSRx motors haven't been available in the UK. Eventually I saw some so I bought a couple. Installed one and found that the rotors were going the wrong way. Reconnected the plug with the marker facing DOWN and it was green, not red. So the markers now don't line up on the top.

I wondered whether it was an MCPx motor but then it would need a better battery wouldn't it? The motor is fine. It seems to be running a bit faster but I do wonder whether Blade have made a quiet change to replacement motors.
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post
Has Blade seen the light with the motors? For some time, MSRx motors haven't been available in the UK. Eventually I saw some so I bought a couple. Installed one and found that the rotors were going the wrong way. Reconnected the plug with the marker facing DOWN and it was green, not red. So the markers now don't line up on the top.
You must be referring to the tail motors. MSRX are marked with red, MCPX are marked with green (and reversed). You can't accidentally put an MCPX main motor in an MSR, but you can certainly use an MCPX tail motor.

The Nano motor plugs are marks are green (like the MCPX). I don't know if a Nano main motor will fit an MSRX. I think they're close but slightly different diameters. If you're talking about replacing the main motor, that's probably what you got. If it fits it's probably no better/worse than a true MSRX motor.

There's never been an issue with tail motors AFAIK. All the issues with motors are with the main motor.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
No, I'm talking about the main motor. I've had the MSRx since it came out last December and am well aware of the tail motors etc. This is a main motor, marked GREEN on the plug and has to be reversed on plug in. Maybe it is actually a Nano motor and is now being sold as an MSRx as well. It has a different sound to the old motors as well.

The funny thing is, I checked the bag and it says MSRx Not MCPx or anything like that.

In fact I have another one sealed in the bag with a green marker - part no. BLH3203.

I wonder whether Blade has decided to change something? Is there a shortage of the original motors because they are a bit scarce in the UK at the moment.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,436 Posts
The nano main motor has a 7 tooth pinion and the MSRX motor has an 8 tooth pinion. I wouldn't expect them to mesh properly (too tight/loose) if you tried to switch them, but I don't know for sure. If your motor has a 7 tooth pinion, it's definitely a Nano motor, and if it all fits it would run faster (because of the 7 teeth).

Maybe someone did a bag swap and returned it?

If it is a Nano motor, and it's a direct fit, keep us posted on how well it performs compared to a stock MSRX motor. Even though it has to spin faster because of the pinion, it also has to not work as hard, so the trade off may be longer life. It would be nice to know if the two are inter-changeable.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
I had a count (with difficulty and a magnifying glass) and it has 8 pinions.

I also have another new MSRx since they were doing a very cheap deal at one point over here in the UK and the motor on that one has a standard red mark which lines up correctly with the connector.

These two motors that I have are with green markers and they have to be reverse connected.

They were both in official MSRx Bags. Maybe my old motor was running slow?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
wow

I have recently bought a nano and an mcpx and hadn't flown my msr x in a while. I dusted it off and flew it a couple days ago and noticed it was a little worse for wear (read a lot worse for wear), I replaced the frame because a couple canopy pins were broken, the skids because my hot glue and ca patches kept breaking and the main blades mainly because I had gotten some red ones a while back and never put them on. After all that it had a weird wobble that was driving me crazy. I was still having fun sport flying because I am less scared of it that its cp buddies and I broke a arm on the swash in a really mild crash. This is the good part, I replaced the swash and it is soooo stable and smooth now. I flew it like a bat out of heck outside and even around the house which I normally don't do and didn't crash in 2 packs. I guess my swash was getting pretty beat up or worn because I never remember it being so smooth in flight. It was my first non coax so I learned how to crash really well when I first got it It was the first time I had more fun with it that flipping my cps and mqx.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:27 AM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Mine have been going for a year now and I can literally fly it like a coax.

It's a fun heli and all that talk a year ago about its awful flaws seems silly to me now. People saying that they couldn't fly it in their front room because it flew out of control and the dreaded left turns.

I really don't find it that bad and rarely crash. In fact, I try to fly in a 'scale' kind of way nowadays because it is a challenge and then outside, I throw it around.

Parts have worn and had to be replaced but it has been fine generally.

I had a strange wobble; even after replacing the swash on one. It turned out to be something to do with the link from one of the servos. I replaced the link and then it was perfect. The wobble that I had normally followed a left turn so I felt that there was something amiss. I never exactly found what it was. I just replaced it.