SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:47 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Learning to the Nano was like learning to fly the MSRX for the first time. There were frustrations and then there were triumphs. The difference is that it took a lot less time for me to recognize the learning curve and realize what I had to work on with the Nano. Now, when I go flying at my local soccer field, I bring two MSRXs and two Nanos. I practice on the Nanos where I have plenty of open sky to make mistakes that don't cause me to crash. In between the Nanos, I kick back and relax with my MSRXs. I don't much fly my MSRXs indoors anymore. I have my 9958, V911, TRex100 and MSRs for that.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Maybe someone can help me with this. Ive had my MSRx for a little over two weeks now and have gotten much much better with it. I recently picked up an MSR just for fun and have been screwing around with both out in my back yard.

Here is the issue I am having: My MSRx is definitely more nimble and quick, but the MSR seems to have better constant forward flight....even outdoors. Whenever I try to get my MSRx to stay in a faster forward motion across the entire yard it wants to eventually pitch upwards and climb then stay in a hover. I can get the MSR to zoom forward across the entire lot.....this seems like it would be the other way around to me?

Ive got a DX7s and all trims are at neutral. Am I missing something simple?

Also, one last question. Im already looking into getting a 120SR cause its a little bit bigger....how does that compare in outdoor flight to the MSRx? Thanks guys!

Jordan
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
That doesn't sound right... Both of my MSRXs are very happy to zoom all over the soccer field where I fly. In a gust of wind I'll get a little porposing but I am able to power through it just fine.

Maybe check to make sure your links are firmly attached to the swash and blade grip balls?

I don't have a 120SR but I've heard that it's not great in the wind. The MSRX and my Nano are fantastic in wind that would blow my MSR and other FP flybarred helis (9958 and V911) away like a leaf.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Its finally snowing here in central New York, so my outdoor flying is on hold. I managed to take my Msrx outside once and fly through one battery before I broke the $%@* blade grip again. (CF Xtreme Blade grip on its way!) Smacked into a tree branch. My problem it that it was fighting me to go forward (into a very light breeze). It went maybe 8 feet then pulled up hard and I had to turn to keep it moving. Is this normal? I thought it wasn't supposed to do that...?
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Certainly doesn't sound normal to me. How cold was it? I wonder if your servos or other moving parts were being affected by the temperature....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Certainly doesn't sound normal to me. How cold was it? I wonder if your servos or other moving parts were being affected by the temperature....
Upper 50s, low 60s. We've been having a great fall here.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
Got the Hakon grips on the X; they're doing very well. However, I've been having a problem with the connecting rods being thrown from the swash; has happened a lot. I moved the rods out to the long arms and thought that might have solved the problem but it didn't. I think the really aggressive flying I've been doing has either distorted or worn the connectors to the point that they just give up. I think I'm going to have to go over to the Hakon upgrade for the swashplate because the metal balls fit much better. Hate to spend the extra bucks though.

I no longer use expo outdoors...it flies much better with full throws and linear settings. Really amazing. Indoors, I use some expo to tame things down a bit and that works out well. My 120 isn't getting much play these days...but with this link problem I guess it'll be back in the air for a while.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Upper 50s, low 60s. We've been having a great fall here.
Okay, I officially hate you now. LOL It's 30s-40s right now and I'm afraid to go outdoors lest the plastic get brittle and snap on me.

Um, I'd double check to make sure that all of your links are firmly set on the blade grip and swash balls. Make sure that they haven't popped too far off or been pushed too far in. Check your shaft for any wobbling or play. Make sure that there aren't any cracks or broken parts in your blade grips and head. Then make sure that your servo arms are more or less keeping the swashplate level (or close enough to it) when at zero stick. What you were describing was very much NOT expected behavior!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop View Post
Got the Hakon grips on the X; they're doing very well. However, I've been having a problem with the connecting rods being thrown from the swash; has happened a lot. I moved the rods out to the long arms and thought that might have solved the problem but it didn't. I think the really aggressive flying I've been doing has either distorted or worn the connectors to the point that they just give up. I think I'm going to have to go over to the Hakon upgrade for the swashplate because the metal balls fit much better. Hate to spend the extra bucks though.

I no longer use expo outdoors...it flies much better with full throws and linear settings. Really amazing. Indoors, I use some expo to tame things down a bit and that works out well. My 120 isn't getting much play these days...but with this link problem I guess it'll be back in the air for a while.
GO with the RakonHeli (you meant that instead of Hakon, right???) swashplate. You won't regret it in the long run. I've got them on both my X's and they perform great. Get some extra links for spares and you should be good to go.

I also never use expo on my MSRX anymore. I have to do that indoors to tame down my Nano but I've learned to love the full linear curve with the X.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I officially hate you now. LOL It's 30s-40s right now and I'm afraid to go outdoors lest the plastic get brittle and snap on me.

Um, I'd double check to make sure that all of your links are firmly set on the blade grip and swash balls. Make sure that they haven't popped too far off or been pushed too far in. Check your shaft for any wobbling or play. Make sure that there aren't any cracks or broken parts in your blade grips and head. Then make sure that your servo arms are more or less keeping the swashplate level (or close enough to it) when at zero stick. What you were describing was very much NOT expected behavior!
Its now that cold here and snowing, as I said. Bummer. I'll check all of that out. Not sure if I'm in the mood now though. I just spent hours trying to get my 9x working for Sim time and had ZERO luck. I'm so aggravated! I even tried to get my ps3 controller to work with my laptop. I just wanted a free way to practice while batteries charge and to prepare for my nano cpx.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Do you have er9x on your T9x yet? I never tried getting it to work with stock firmware. With er9x it's pretty easy once you find the right template to copy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Do you have er9x on your T9x yet? I never tried getting it to work with stock firmware. With er9x it's pretty easy once you find the right template to copy.
Not yet. I'm hoping to score a smartieparts board for Christmas if my wife isn't completely fed up with my obsession. now I'm looking into USB dongles or cables or even a low priced dynam 6ch simulator tx.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Yeah, a smartiparts board is really a great way to go. I use my T9x with Phoenix now. Works great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Jan 2007
14 Posts
Please Help.....

Hi to all the heli gurus here!
I just bought a msr x, bind it to my old cx2 controller LP5DSM.
Dip switch is #1-on/up, #2-#9 all off/down.
I know that someone posted that #8 should be up, but i like to make my rudder to turn the direction the same direction as the joystick.
Everything fly nicely, but i have a problem.......
Once in a while the heli will have a glitch, and spin it's tail, making me lost control and crash.
I thought it was due to my controller, but everything is fine when i fly it with my CX2 and mCX.
Any one got this problem?
Or is it due to this controller does not support msrx? and missing something/function?
Anyone has any advise for me?
Thanks!
wildpig is offline Find More Posts by wildpig
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
I don't own a LP5DSM but I'm sure it should be fine to control the MSRX if everything is working right.

If nobody else has any good ideas for you, I'd recommend giving Horizon Hobby tech support a call (they have a callback service so you don't have to wait on hold) and ask them about it. It may be a glitch in your MSRX. Which way does it spin the tail? Clockwise or counterclockwise?
RCG Plus Member