HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:29 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
I'm going through the same growing pains with my Nano that I went through with my MSRX. I'm still only comfortable doing tail-in stuff. I've done a couple of shaky circuits and piros with it, but I do NOT feel like I have a "feel" for how it flies yet. I had my first crash last night but there doesn't seem to be any damage as I had my finger on the throttle hold ready to go...

I am NOT ready for a heli as big as 130X. I'm not ready for a mCPX for that matter. I'm perfectly fine with the Nano. Do not believe those guys at the LHS. They want to sell you a big bird that will cost a lot to repair. Imagine who will be getting the money when you do that? I really find it irritating when LHS guys push that stuff. At mine, the guy keeps trying to get me to buy a Blade 450. Funny thing is that when I'm at the store, he's always back there repairing someone's big helicopter. They charge by the hour, you know... If you feel inadequate, just remember that you'll always be able to buy a 130 later. I fully intend to get one eventually. I just need a space to fly it. And I need to learn how to fly a CP where when I crash I don't always BREAK SOMETHING.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
502 Posts
ruzam/roboheli - that is what I have heard about the 130x. It's weird how the guy trying to sell it says it doesn't have those issues I probably should and will get the nano first, but if I had $300 in my pocket today I would probably be trying to figure out how to fix that sexy 130x as we speak.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
502 Posts
Any advice on how to cut down syma 108 blades for the msrx. I have seen a couple people say they use them and I have some but have no idea how to "cut them down." Length or width? curved or strait cut? Do they fit in micro heli aluminum blade grips? I have 2 pair and have broken 3 stock blades.

ps thought I should get back on topic since I have had cp helis on the brain
Last edited by Greg Head; Nov 10, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
So I would like to once again re-iterate for the record that learning to fly the MSRX for me has been a great way to work up to the Nano. The skills that I've had to learn to keep the MSRX flying correctly while piroing and doing circuits are actually translating very well to the Nano.

I cannot speak to any other CP heli yet, but after having read this thread from its beginning and heard the testimonials of all the pilots, I can FINALLY feel confident in giving an informed personal opinion on the matter of whether the MSRX is a good stepping stone to a CP heli--at least a very small one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Apr 2005
993 Posts
Hobbled indoors indeed!

I've had the opportunity to fly outdoors several times now as well as indoors in a gym, and the contrast with trying to coax the thing into behaving itself in a small room is pretty striking. I have gotten the little thing to navigate around more-or-less tamely in the living room, but it's a constant effort to keep it from zipping off into a wall, TV or cat. Outdoors and in that gym, it was a real pleasure to fly, and I think it's simply because the added space also gives the pilot that nice buffer of time...time to get his act together before smacking something.

But! I have smacked a few things so far and I'm now running with a new board (and I am deeply grateful to Horizon for getting it to me without a quibble and in record time. They are the greatest. Period) and now am waiting for a Hakon head to replace the original which shed one of the balls. I'm going to stick with the original swash and see how things go...would rather not sink much more $$$ in this little heli. Flew my SR120 back-to-back with the SRX in the gym and bigger does seem to be definitely better, or at least less-squirrelly. But...the X is fun, no doubt about it. I'll be very glad to have it back in flyable condition, the sooner the better.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Last edited by roidspop; Nov 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
502 Posts
new case
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Looks good! I like the MSRx and Nano snuggling up under the mQX
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,293 Posts
Im really starting to get the hang of this little thing! This was my first true 4ch heli....it seemed a bit much for me at first, but after a couple days of practice Im doing much better. Left turns still need work, but I'm making progress. I actually just got the MSR also for comparisons and man is that thing much easier to fly.....but its not even a challenge compared to MSRx now, but still fun. I already want something a bit bigger for out in the yard....I want to stay with FP for now and am thinking of the Blade120SR.....think that would be alright?
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
If you like the MSR, you should like the 120SR as a bigger version. Go check out the 120SR thread and say 'hi' there. Those folks will be able to steer you in the right direction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,314 Posts
The 120sr is really nice. Smooth, stable, easy to fly. It's like a bigger, msr and it doesn't suffer anywhere near as much from pendulum.

If you have the space, like a gym, it's perfect but I'd be a little hesitant to call it a yard flyer. It's very "floaty" and doesn't handle wind well at all. Where I live there's always a 'breeze' of some sort, even when you think it's a calm day. For my area, the 120SR is too big to fly in the house, but too sensitive to fly outdoors, which really only leaves gym time at indoor fly events which is harder to come by. So it's a duck without a pond. The MSRx is a much better outdoor flyer.

If you have calm air where you live, a 120SR will be perfect. Otherwise, you should consider your CP options first.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2004
254 Posts
Hey guys, I have an mSR and been flying it comfortably for a couple of years. I would like buy the the mSRX bnf but really don't have cash to get a ds6i tx to go along with it. How tough is it to fly with the tx I have for my mSR? I realize you have to fly mSRX all the time..... I'm not afraid of a challenge. How many of you (if any) are flying it with the the stock controller, and please let me know your thoughts. Thanks
rdw777 is offline Find More Posts by rdw777
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
I think you'll probably be just fine. I've been flying my MSRXs at 100% D/R with no expo on my DX6i and T9x and I'm perfectly happy with them. I imagine that the low/high rates on your stock MSR TX will work just fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
221 Posts
First post here in the msrx thread. I just finished the majority of the 330 odd pages.

I picked up my msrx bnf on eBay from a seller who said it had toilet bowl effect and was for "parts only." After reading a few pages here about how it's pretty much impossible to get TBE on this bird, I bid on it. I won it for $35-ish dollars. When I got it, I had a wait before I could get batteries and then had to use a batarang MLP4DSM that my brother has for his 120SR.

First flights were painful! Crashed all over the place and broke a blade grip ball within 2 minutes of throttling up for the first time. Gave my second battery a go and same thing: crash crash crash, but no more broken parts. No toilet bowl effect in sight, though! Take that, eBay seller!

Flash forward a week and I'd read most of this thread and was ready to attempt the MMM/JBB adjustments. Didn't seem promising at first. I adjusted backward then figured it out and got it mostly dialed in only to realize that I hadn't charged my second battery last time. Bummer.

Before I did the MMM/JBB, I was seriously considering dumping this now dinged up bird back on eBay. Afterwards, however, I'm totally stoked and have snagged up my own MLP4DSM that should be here in a couple days! I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all the sage advise posted, mistakes made, and lessons learned. Keep it up!
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Hi elkabong80, great to have you over here!!!

Yeah, I also picked up the MSRX because I wanted something new and also because I knew I was getting something that was going to be a real challenge to deal with. I too read every posting in this crazy thread and decided that I had been properly forewarned and forearmed with an Excel sheet full of posts and tips.

My first few weeks with this heli were exceedingly frustrating as well. Crash crash crash as you say. There were a few times that I felt that I wanted to re-kit this thing using my boots. Thankfully, I realized that the pain I was feeling was actually my skillset expanding. After a while I started to realize that I was able to fly this thing and that I was really starting to enjoy it.

Then I had a chance to take it outdoors. And I was 110% sold on it.

Save yourself some grief and go get the RakonHeli blade grips at the very minimum. I've had my blade grip link balls rip off mid-flight and another set break when I was trying to install a link. The aluminum RakonHeli ones just don't break. The red anodized aluminum looks awesome as well.

The TBE claim on FBL helis is really, really interesting as well. It's typically caused by someone who has dialed in a little too much expo and is actually "chasing" their heli around with the stick and not realizing that they're actually INDUCING the TBE! I speak from experience. LOTS of experience with this. Once I realized that I was the cause of the TBE, I got rid of all of the expo and haven't looked back.

My Nano and I had the same sort of communication problem. I had too much expo (the manual's suggestions were too high for me) and so I was chasing it around again. I found that 10% expo on the Nano is sufficient to tame it down juuuust enough and still help me avoid user-induced TBE.

Happy flying!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
221 Posts
I'm hoping to pick up another msrx for Christmas to practice with while I save up for a cp helis, be it a nano or other. It will be palm sized, whatever I pick. Is AS3X just as much a pain on the Nano as it is on msrx? I need to find a place to fly outside. I have a good sized yard, but its like a forest. Way too many trees.
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80