HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
So after becoming proficient with my MCX2, would this be a good next step up? I already have a Nano CPX, but forget about flying that thing for a while. Just getting the hang of the MCX2 barely right now, but already thinking about the next step up, between this and the Nano.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
536 Posts
thanks robo heli for the tips but I don't think I am being clear. I get how to fly a 4ch, been flying a v911 for 4 months and my msrx and mqx for 2, I just am getting annoyed by my swash being out of whack and despite the several versions of directions to get it to mmm or whatever you want to call it I think I have gotten it so out of position that I don't know which way to correct. I zip around the back yard but can only turn right and end up flying sideways every time. The left turn sends me backwards and into the ground normally. Do I correct for my right turns or left, they send the heli different directions. I can stop turning and get back to a hover but my backyard is not huge so I am pretty much always turning and I know if I had the swash links right this wouldn't be so difficult. It may just be that I am rushing my skills and I should take it slower but I feel like it is mechanical. Sometimes I think I should just get a mcpx or nano because they don't do the swash reset thing and I would stop having to worry about it but part of me thinks I will just be avoiding a problem I could fix if I could just wrap my head around it. Wish I could just hover without as3x and adjust for which way it goes like trim on other helis but when I put rudder trim to try that tbe happens. I will take another crack at it tomorrow, just replaced the swash tonight because I broke a ball trying to adjust a link again, maybe that will help.
Greg Head is online now Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
thanks robo heli for the tips but I don't think I am being clear. I get how to fly a 4ch, been flying a v911 for 4 months and my msrx and mqx for 2, I just am getting annoyed by my swash being out of whack and despite the several versions of directions to get it to mmm or whatever you want to call it I think I have gotten it so out of position that I don't know which way to correct. I zip around the back yard but can only turn right and end up flying sideways every time. The left turn sends me backwards and into the ground normally. Do I correct for my right turns or left, they send the heli different directions. I can stop turning and get back to a hover but my backyard is not huge so I am pretty much always turning and I know if I had the swash links right this wouldn't be so difficult. It may just be that I am rushing my skills and I should take it slower but I feel like it is mechanical. Sometimes I think I should just get a mcpx or nano because they don't do the swash reset thing and I would stop having to worry about it but part of me thinks I will just be avoiding a problem I could fix if I could just wrap my head around it. Wish I could just hover without as3x and adjust for which way it goes like trim on other helis but when I put rudder trim to try that tbe happens. I will take another crack at it tomorrow, just replaced the swash tonight because I broke a ball trying to adjust a link again, maybe that will help.
With the msrx with its AS3X system, you have to fly with both sticks...it does not behave like a v911 or msr or mcx2...it is totally different animal and requires constant stick inputs.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:48 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
Hey Greg, yeah, I hear you. I'm not telling you how to fly a 4ch heli. I'm giving you some suggestions on how to fly the msr x. It's a very different animal from a V911 and jake's right. When turning you have to give it rudder, aileron AND elevator all the same time. How much is something you have to learn and if you go back to my post and try my suggestions I think you'll be able to pick up which way to turn it.

However, first things first. If you've been adjusting your swashplate, you should put it back to a "factory default" position. What's that position? Well...both of my MSRxs came with a swashplate that was "level" to the ground when the heli is sitting on its skids with the power off. So, turn your TX on, turn your heli on, let it initialize on the flat surface, and then turn it off. Adjust the link lengths until the swashplate looks as "level" as possible.

From this point, I'd say that you could try giving it two CCW turns on the aileron so that the link length increases. And then two turns CW on the elevator to shorten it. Or maybe 3 on aileron and 1 on elevator. In either case, doing that seemed to help me fly reasonably well under control indoors. Outdoors, it doesn't really seem to matter so much since I'm always blasting full speed ahead anyway.

I flew 12 flights this weekend--5 outside and 7 inside and worked on watching the heli and controlling it. I was doing both CW and CCW circuits as well as figure 8s. I even got to the point where I did one reasonable CW (right rudder) piro. The left piros are pretty straight forward for me right now but that's because I've practiced more with them. When turning, I have to give it some combination of forward/backward elevator and some aileron depending on which way I'm going. I just watch the tilt of the heli and let it tell me which way I have to correct it. I even tried some nose-in funnels that worked out sort-of okay. I tried a tail-in funnel as well as some backwards circuits but found those to be a LOT harder and they looked horrible. LOL I obviously need a lot more practice.

My problem is that my original one seems to have a bit of a vibration issue. It's louder and tends to be a little more squirrely than my other one which is much quieter and smooth as glass. I changed out the maingear because I saw a wobble in the old one and made sure the motor was seated properly. Not sure whether I should try changing out the blades or trying anything else yet.

Of course, that all may be moot for a little while since my Nano arrives tomorrow....
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
536 Posts
Thanks, I wish I had known that it was as easy as level when the heli is off (after initializing per your instructions) to find the starting point again. I had the day off today and put in about 12 flights myself. You are right about flying fast outside, don't really notice the problems when you are hauling a$$ I am really close to buying a nano myself. Don't know how much longer I can resist cp that I can fly in the house and back yard.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:19 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I wish I had known that it was as easy as level when the heli is off (after initializing per your instructions) to find the starting point again. I had the day off today and put in about 12 flights myself. You are right about flying fast outside, don't really notice the problems when you are hauling a$$ I am really close to buying a nano myself. Don't know how much longer I can resist cp that I can fly in the house and back yard.
Get an MCPX....I had the nano and did not care for it..motors don't last long....and it is just too small.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,391 Posts
I love my nano. Much easier to fly than an MCPX. My nano is set on 80% rates and I can flip it easily. My MCPX on the other hand is set on 40% rates and it's still a handful.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
Quote:
DO IT!!!!!! I just got my Nano today and put 2 flights on her. OMGWHATACRAZYHELI!!!!

This is my first CP heli. It's the perfect size for me. All I can say is that I'm REALLY GLAD I had the MSRX first. Learning to fly the MSRX with its little quirks kept me from overcompensating and ramming my Nano into the walls at least a few times. Well, that and I'm really glad I've flown the mCPX in Phoenix as well.

I love these tiny micros. I'll go bigger eventually (mCPXv2, 130X, 300X???, etc..) but right now, these little guys are the perfect size.

I'm flying a mCPX tail on my mSRXs right now. It makes the tail/body proportions about the same as the Nano, actually (maybe a little longer). I'm also probably going to put mCPX skids and get some mCPX batteries. When flying the mSRX in wind and really gunning it, I have to bring it back after 3 minutes otherwise I risk hitting LVC with the big current draws. The bigger battery should give me more flying time. Of course, that'll put me into a perfect position to go get a brushless conversion kit from Asteroid Designs. hee hee!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
DO IT!!!!!! I just got my Nano today and put 2 flights on her. OMGWHATACRAZYHELI!!!!

This is my first CP heli. It's the perfect size for me. All I can say is that I'm REALLY GLAD I had the MSRX first. Learning to fly the MSRX with its little quirks kept me from overcompensating and ramming my Nano into the walls at least a few times. Well, that and I'm really glad I've flown the mCPX in Phoenix as well.

I love these tiny micros. I'll go bigger eventually (mCPXv2, 130X, 300X???, etc..) but right now, these little guys are the perfect size.

I'm flying a mCPX tail on my mSRXs right now. It makes the tail/body proportions about the same as the Nano, actually (maybe a little longer). I'm also probably going to put mCPX skids and get some mCPX batteries. When flying the mSRX in wind and really gunning it, I have to bring it back after 3 minutes otherwise I risk hitting LVC with the big current draws. The bigger battery should give me more flying time. Of course, that'll put me into a perfect position to go get a brushless conversion kit from Asteroid Designs. hee hee!
Watch them blades....they will cut you like a razor.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
536 Posts
Having good flights with the msr x but I consider buying the nano daily. Bonus in 4 weeks, lets see if I can wait that long. It was pretty windy today and the msr x handled it way better than my mqx, don't know why so many people on here prefer it.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
The MSRX is fantastic in mild wind. I'm going to keep flying mine alongside my Nano because it's a slightly different flying experience (simpler) and because it's mechanically simpler, repairs are a LOT cheaper if I crash.

Don't have a mQX yet to compare. Maybe I'll pick one up with xmas money this year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,333 Posts
Helicopter newbie in need of your advice:

Ive been into prop planes and EDFs for the past 8 years or so. If had a couple coxail helis in the past and have had no problems with them and I have been putting in a lot of time on my RealFlight with the fixed pitch 4-channel helis and even the 6 chan models. Im able to do moderate stunts and tricks pretty easily so I figured getting this Msrx wouldn't be too much of an issue.

First I need to say that I just bought this used off of a member on this site. It came well packed and I didn't notice any damage or broken parts when it arrived. I had a few charged 160mah batteries so I immediately bound it to my DX7s. Its definitely a lot "twitchier" than I expected, but not too bad. I have no problem with the hover, forward flight or side to side, but the second I go to use the tail rotor, the model wants to zoom backwards and to the right...

It will hover fine, but once i attempt a simple spin during a hover, it goes out of control. Ive owned a few of the AS3X planes and I know you can hear the gryos working while you are holding the model....is this supposed to make the same sounds? Cause mine doesn't make any correcting sounds. I set the model type to Heli on my DX7s, what other settings should I try? I understand that it is normal for these to hover at a tilted angle...any way of fixing that other than adding weight to a skid?

Sorry for all of the questions guys, Im just out of my element with this one. Im thinking of buying a normal MSR for comparison purposes....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jordan
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
The simplest way to explain it is that the heli is going to switch modes when you touch the rudder. The AS3X can best be described as "head holding" mode when you have zero rudder. The moment you touch the rudder, it will go into "rate mode" and you have to actively control the cyclic and apply some non-trivial corrections while piroetting. This heli is seriously infamous for this behavior. The best thing you can do is just take it very SLOWLY and pay attention to how the heli starts moving the moment you touch the rudder so that you see how you have to correct it.

John Salt's book at www.rchelicopterfun.com has a few pages devoted to why the heli does this when you piro. I recommend it.

However, I also STRONGLY recommend working with the MSR first. It's much more stable and consistent. I went form MCX2 to MSR to MSRX and now to the Nano and I learned something very important at each level.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
536 Posts
JGuilty,
I read 200 pages of people complaining about this tendency and still complained about it when I got mine Search for the MM Mod which basically explains how to mechanically trim the swash on a helicopter that flies crooked and auto corrects 99% of the time. It will make rudder inputs a little smoother but at some point you just have to live with it and fly through it.

RoboHeli - My nano dreams were just crushed by the guy working the counter at the local hobby shop. I was ordering a part, mentioned the nano and he said "Nano, you wanna see my 130X?" I may be in love, looks awesome, was ridiculously stable and I had kind of thought of it as too advanced and breakable but he (and 2 other guys in the shop) assured me settings on my dx6i will tame it and it is just about as easy to fix as any other blade microheli. How is your nano treating you?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:24 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,391 Posts
Quote:
I was ordering a part, mentioned the nano and he said "Nano, you wanna see my 130X?" I may be in love, looks awesome, was ridiculously stable and I had kind of thought of it as too advanced and breakable but he (and 2 other guys in the shop) assured me settings on my dx6i will tame it and it is just about as easy to fix as any other blade microheli.
Some of the guys at our indoor fly do all kinds of wild and terrible things to micro helis. Brushless, mods, intense flying. They eat helis like breakfast cereal. I can't say I've got the same stomach for the steady stream of replacement parts these guys go through. But I can't argue with their success either. Last spring these guys were just learning to hover, now they're doing tight flips and inverted flying. Practice, practice, practice.

They tell me the 130X is awesome (more than one has one). When it's properly set up and tuned that is. When it's not properly set up and tuned it's grounded. More often than not when things break it's mid flight causing a crash, not a result of the crash. They've rated the 130X the highest maintenance of the bunch with a list longer than my arm of what's been fixed and replaced. When the 130X is running good it's the best thing going, but be prepared for lots of work (and money) keeping it running good. Just saying.

The nano on the other hand is one tough bird.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam