HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B dog View Post
Where are you guys getting the battery adapter to allow the mcpx battery to fit the stock plug?
Brian
You can use the battery charging adapter that comes with the mcpx. They're easy to find.

If you have any soldering skills, you can do what I did and split the connectors on the charge adapter, and direct solder each end into a 'nub'. I plug the nub into my msrx battery cable and it lives there permanently. Takes up hardly any room and you don't even know it's there. If I ever want to go back to regular msrx size batteries, I can just pull the nub and it's good to go.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Selling MSRX if anyones interested
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Went outdoors with the MSRXs again yesterday. It was just windy enough that my 9958 and V911s were barely able to keep from being blown away from me. (Broke a MSR flybar on my 9958 after a hard nose-down attempt to fly into the wind caused me to crash. Easily fixed though.)

Now, the MSRXs were doing very well, but I did have one interesting blow-out. I was doing a HARD banked turn into the wind and I could hear the tail rotor SCREAMING as it tried to keep the nose pointed in the right direction. That was about 1:15 into the flight (using a Turnigy Nanotech 160) and right in the middle of the turn, the low-voltage cutoff behavior kicked in and the heli fluttered down to the ground. I rebooted the heli and I found that I had at least 2:45 left in the battery (I only fly to 4min as a rule). I guess the current spike of that hard tail rotor usage cause the voltage to temporarily drop below the acceptable levels.

I decided to install MCPX tail booms on my MSRXs last night. I test flew both of them indoors and they both flew VERY well. In fact, if anything, they might have been easier to piro right and left than they were before. I won't be able to go outdoors until the weekend to try them out, but the extended tail length should be a little easier on the tail rotor.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
241 Posts
Hey guys,
I bought a second hand msrx to complement my existing msrx, I got it for $60 so I thought it was a deal. It was a good deal except the tail motor was failing (quick full throttle blasts would cause a piro/spin). So I did some home work and bought a new mcpx complete tail (longer) along with the mcpx landing skids and a Thunder Power mcpx 240mAhr battery. I got home and installed everything then realised the battery connector is diferent, bummer. I just got home from the LHS with a battery adapter to allow the mcpx battery to be used on any UM plane/heli. I have not shortened the wires up yet but the results are good. The mcpx tail on the msrx moves the CG back, the mcpx landing skids/ battery holder/ big mcpx battery, makes everything just right. To break in the new battery I flew 4 mins (110mah to full charge from a TP AC6), second charge I flew 6 mins and never had a LVC! Good times! I think everyone should explore this win-win situation when your tail motor fails.
Brian
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
So, I've also heard that the mcpx tail on the msrx moves the CG back. But after I installed the tail on my MSRXs, I was doing some slow circuits around my studio and I really didn't notice anything that would make me think that it wanted to pitch backward. I haven't had a chance to fly them outdoors yet, but we'll see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,621 Posts
I thought the AS3X system compensates for this?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
I got this heli today at our new LHS...hurrah for Hobby Town and welcome! Saw the mSRX and bought it, just 'cause. Thought I'd taken a step down from my SR120 and had found something a few cuts above the CX. Ha! Well, this is how we learn.

I've spent about twenty flights getting to the point that I can (sort of) fly circuits right AND left indoors. The first hover was like something from a kamikaze scene in a WWII movie with my face being the target. The one skill that has transferred well from my other small helis is chopping the power just before smashing into something. Reflexes: hunnerd percent. Anyway, this little guy was a major surprise to me...it is really something else!

The MMM thing seems to show that the heli has a tendency to drift off to the left-front but before I start messing with the swash links, I did some of that with my others and have not found a good, low-trauma method for getting the ball links unhooked and then stuck back together. Anybody have some idea for approaching this that will keep things un-bent? No tools seem to exist for these little guys. Any thoughts?

Looking forward to taking it out tomorrow morning early and seeing how it does with some space to play with.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:19 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop View Post
I got this heli today at our new LHS...hurrah for Hobby Town and welcome! Saw the mSRX and bought it, just 'cause. Thought I'd taken a step down from my SR120 and had found something a few cuts above the CX. Ha! Well, this is how we learn.

I've spent about twenty flights getting to the point that I can (sort of) fly circuits right AND left indoors. The first hover was like something from a kamikaze scene in a WWII movie with my face being the target. The one skill that has transferred well from my other small helis is chopping the power just before smashing into something. Reflexes: hunnerd percent. Anyway, this little guy was a major surprise to me...it is really something else!

The MMM thing seems to show that the heli has a tendency to drift off to the left-front but before I start messing with the swash links, I did some of that with my others and have not found a good, low-trauma method for getting the ball links unhooked and then stuck back together. Anybody have some idea for approaching this that will keep things un-bent? No tools seem to exist for these little guys. Any thoughts?

Looking forward to taking it out tomorrow morning early and seeing how it does with some space to play with.
I use my fingernail to pop them...putting them on is a littel bit more work..you have to make sure you turn the black part in 1 turn increments...they only go back on one way...I use a little spit on the swash and then holding the swash arm with needle nose pliers (carefully), I pop the rod back onto the ball.

I thought this heli was a handful until I bought a Nano CPX, which I sold a few days later....the nano cpx to me was like a dragonfly on steroids...I had a really hard time controlling it...like the MSRX tho.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Just take it easy with the ball links. I also use my fingernail.

I've had great success with the RakonHeli aluminum parts. I strongly recommend the aluminum blade grips right out of the box. I've experienced a spontaneous break of a blade grip ball on my stock blade grips in flight that caused a spectacular crash. I know others have experienced the same thing.

Regarding the MMM, I found that my swash looked "level" to the ground (e.g. with the heli sitting on its skids) when I took it out of the box. In fact, both of my MSRXs started out this way. I extended the aileron a little bit (2-3 turns) and shortened the elevator a little bit (1-2 turns) and did that for both of my birds and found that it worked pretty well for letting me do circuits indoors.

Outdoors? Don't need to even worry about it, as far as my experience has been. You just blast this little guy around like a hotrod and the momentum takes care of any weirdness. I LOVE how this thing cuts through the wind like it's not even there.

It's raining on my parade today. I wanted to go out and fly my MSRXs with the MCPX tailboom that I installed last weekend but the weather is too bad right now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop View Post

Tweezers - they work great to get the links back on - position them on the back of the ball and against the ball link and squeeze
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
241 Posts
AS3X compensating for COG change from mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I thought the AS3X system compensates for this?
The AS3X will compensate but proper COG is still a good thing. With the COG moved rearward from adding a mcpx longer boom, the AS3X will tilt the swash forward (down elevator) to compensate. This will in effect limit your servo throw because its' dead stick position (hover) within the linear servo will no longer be in the middle. So while flying with an aft COG, you will have less FFF authority and more than needed rearward pitch. Might be good for back flips but we should always try to keep the basics correct.
Brian
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Good call, B dog. How do you measure COG on the MSRX? With a flybarred heli, it's a bit easier since you can just balance the flybar between two supports...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Good call, B dog. How do you measure COG on the MSRX? With a flybarred heli, it's a bit easier since you can just balance the flybar between two supports...
I guess you can hold by the blades.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,621 Posts
For most of these Heli...if you can disengage the motor pinion and main gear mesh. I.e. pushing up on the motor slightly, you can hold the the main shaft so it's parallel to the ground. Then you'll be able to see which side is heavier.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I guess you can hold by the blades.
Thought about that but it's a little wonky with blades that can pivot. Daryoon's idea of holding it by the shaft might work as well.

I'm intending for my tail mod to ultimately grow in to a full-on brushless conversion eventually complete with mCPX skids and batteries so I'm not going to sweat it. It'll all come eventually.

I'm going to really try hard to find a time when I can go flying outdoors with them before the snow comes...
RCG Plus Member