SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
Oddly enough my shaft is cracked badly and gear is loose, but the thing spins smooth as butter. I ordered a new shaft and the gear with a set screw for when it finally does break.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:58 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
I flew one of my MSRXs indoors for practice today (~3:30 to break in a battery). When I was done, I picked the heli up and I could FEEL the heat radiating off of the motor through the canopy!!!

For those of you who have had motors go bad, is mine about to bite the dust? I've got about 25 flights on it.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:56 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
For those of you who have had motors go bad, is mine about to bite the dust? I've got about 25 flights on it.
Never hurts to keep a spare motor on standby. Better yet, replace the motor you have now and keep 'it' for the spare. That way you'll find out if your 'new' motor is any good before the return period expires and you'll know the spare has still has a few flights left in it.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
Sage advice. Off to the LHS I go!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,335 Posts
Time to go brushless. You don't know what you are missing.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Time to go brushless. You don't know what you are missing.

I've been eyeballing Asteroid Designs' web page today and thinking about it. Oh yes, I've been thinking about it. LOL

I've definitely been paying attention to what you say about the MSRX performance on BL. And those guys over at HeliFreak have made a clearly compelling case for it. I'm getting about 3:30 worth of flight time on my MSRX when I let it loose in on a soccer field in whatever wind there is. I wouldn't mind the bigger mCPX battery.

Here's a question for ya : Is it worth doing the BL mod on the tail rotor? Or is the mCPX tail (normal or extended???) sufficient?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:53 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
Sweet bird, just passed 150 flights completely stock, only fly over grass, all still in one piece.

I found the longer boom seemed to porpoise more, so I took it off (sorta like not inserting the battery in all the way!! LOL)

However the longer boom does wonders for the MCPX!
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts
I've found that with the longer tail I remove the rear tail fin to help balance the heli when using stock size batteries. When I use MCPX size batteries I put that fin back on.

Though I thought the porpoising was due to the fixed pitch of the blades... might put back on the shorter tail next time I'm outside flying. See what kind of difference it makes.

Can anyone suggest a simple way to check the centre of gravity?
giiba is offline Find More Posts by giiba
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Subd!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:14 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
Why MCPX batteries, heavier more stress on motor???
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giiba View Post

Can anyone suggest a simple way to check the centre of gravity?
Picking it up by the rotor hub?
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
Why MCPX batteries, heavier more stress on motor???
More flight time and better flight stability (the extra weight results in less lean in hover). If you've also got an MCPX then you only need to bring one size of battery with you to the field/gym (convenience). For me anyway, that's a big advantage because I can charge up all my MCPX batteries for an indoor fly and if either my MCPX or MSRX is damaged, I can just keep flying the other.

Given the quality control on the main motor, it's really hit or miss that you'll get a good what that lasts a long time or a bad one that dies an early death. I don't believe a heavier battery adds a significant amount of stress if you've got a good motor.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
I'm flying the good 'ol MSR around again, MSR-X main board glitches on me half the time and thats no fun. MSR was literally collecting dust for about 6 months till the other day I tried it and it did work but the motor was very weak and the tail motor was buzzing and hunting. Picked up a new main and a new tail the other day and now it is flying much better. The two original lipos are even still giving me at least 3 minutes. So docile inside compared to the X. Funny to think how originally it seemed like such a handful when I first got it
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
236 Posts
Where are you guys getting the battery adapter to allow the mcpx battery to fit the stock plug?
Brian
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post

I've been eyeballing Asteroid Designs' web page today and thinking about it. Oh yes, I've been thinking about it. LOL

I've definitely been paying attention to what you say about the MSRX performance on BL. And those guys over at HeliFreak have made a clearly compelling case for it. I'm getting about 3:30 worth of flight time on my MSRX when I let it loose in on a soccer field in whatever wind there is. I wouldn't mind the bigger mCPX battery.

Here's a question for ya : Is it worth doing the BL mod on the tail rotor? Or is the mCPX tail (normal or extended???) sufficient?

Dayroon built my MSRx brushless with HP03 motor. No need to go double brushless on a MSRx.. The Mcpx regular tail will hold just fine, that's what I've been using for quite some time now.
greyhoundfan is offline Find More Posts by greyhoundfan