SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:44 AM
registered sociopath
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Aug 2012
82 Posts
my first mod

Yesterday I had to do my first real repair to my MSRX. The cheapo battery connector came off where one of the wires connect to the main board... at least the rest of the heli is well built. This looked like it wanted to fall off out of the box. I mean, seriously, a dab of white glue to secure it?

Anyhow, instead of just soldering it back to wait for it to fail again I decided to improve the situation. I used the heaviest gauge wire that would fit through the hole on the circuit board (22g I think) and bent it around the board and frame to take pressure off of the solder joints.

Nothing fancy, but I'm sure a lot more durable.
giiba is online now Find More Posts by giiba
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:51 AM
registered sociopath
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Aug 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
The heli gyros are constantly in rate mode with my DX6i. (the swash returns to zero)
Martyn, do you know how to affect this? With my dx6i I'm in HH mode until I induce yaw with rudder trim. Then the heli slowly yaws while I try to fly it. I would be keen to hear if there is a way to control this.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hey AWDstylez, if the MSRx isn't powerful enough for you, maybe it's time to go brushless?

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=416120

Daryoon's blog at hacksmods.com also has some articles about this.

Very interesting. Maybe I'll pick up a second one to convert to BL. Then I can have an indoor and an outdoor!

Also, I feel really stupid to admit this, but after browsing the MSRX pictures thread on Helifreak I realized I haven't been inserting the battery correctly. It was sitting under the chasis, rather than forward into the nose. I'm sure that was a huge portion of my porpoising issue. I'll try inserting it correctly tonight and re-tuning the elevator link.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
I LOVE the MSRX pictures thread. Nothing like pages of glamor shots to make you want to spruce up your bird.

And yes, I've heard nothing but good things about going brushless with this bird. You can even buy a RakonHeli mainframe which includes a mount for the motor so that all you need to do is the electronics. I'm definitely going to do that to my helis of these days.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,057 Posts
Too funny - that would DEFINITELY cause it!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
??? Sorry, What would cause what???
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
I assume whichwaysup was referring to AWDstylez's statement about porposing caused by not inserting the battery properly .
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I assume whichwaysup was referring to AWDstylez's statement about porposing caused by not inserting the battery properly .
Thanks Robo - looks like your post beat mine to the punch - I should have quoted. Yes, my comment was in reference to AWDstylez comment about the backward battery mounting causing the porpoising effect.

Just took my MSRX out for a quick flight. Wind came up due to an incoming storm and the leaves were blowing off the trees. It's a blast to play "chicken" with the leaves coming down! Definitely something to play around with this fall!

Unfortunately, my ball link on my swash plate finally came loose. All my tinkering with the trim to get a flatter pirohouette loosened it and I knew it was a matter of time. The thing was flying like a bat out of hell and then suddenly jerked like it had been clotheslined. SO, off to the hobby shop tomorrow to get a replacement. It's not a good thing that they will likely have the new PZ Corsair and the UM Spitfire there on the shelves . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
In my defense, the MCX battery mounts directly under the frame. I assumed the MSRX battery did the same, but I guess that cross piece is just frame reinforcement and not a battery stopper. doh!
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Constant edits for autocorrect
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
My MSRX has developed a vibration and I can't seem to sort it out. The gear looks like it is wobbling on the shaft. I replaced a cracked main shaft and the gear but still have the wobble but not as bad. Blade grips are new as is the feathering shaft which I swapped out just because I had them on hand. Any ideas where to look next?
rallykid is offline Find More Posts by rallykid
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
registered sociopath
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Aug 2012
82 Posts
rallykid, is the bottom bearing in decent shape?

I also once got a kibe when I installed a defective swash-grip link. The heli had a bad cyclic vibration thing going, turns out the link was every so slightly shorter that the rest.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giiba View Post
Martyn, do you know how to affect this? With my dx6i I'm in HH mode until I induce yaw with rudder trim. Then the heli slowly yaws while I try to fly it. I would be keen to hear if there is a way to control this.
I am flying my heli on a DX6i with 50% aileron and elevator rates and 30% expo.

I haven't tried it at 100%..

When I bind with this transmitter, it always stays in rate mode.

My DX4e with normal rates and expo will bind in HH mode, but when I bind with low rates and expo the it stays in rate mode.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giiba View Post
rallykid, is the bottom bearing in decent shape?

I also once got a kibe when I installed a defective swash-grip link. The heli had a bad cyclic vibration thing going, turns out the link was every so slightly shorter that the rest.
Thanks, I will check it out. Bearing seems good but I will swap out the links and see. It almost looks like the gear is warped but it is brand new and seems straight. Maybe I will swap back to the old grips since they were fine but I swapped them out while I had it apart.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:34 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallykid View Post
My MSRX has developed a vibration and I can't seem to sort it out. The gear looks like it is wobbling on the shaft. I replaced a cracked main shaft and the gear but still have the wobble but not as bad. Blade grips are new as is the feathering shaft which I swapped out just because I had them on hand. Any ideas where to look next?
Is the main gear aligned with the keyed notch? It can slip quite easily in a crash, and then the gear will distort (warp) because it's forced out of round on the shaft. It may not be the cause of your vibration, but it may be the cause of a gear that looks like it's wobbling on the shaft.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Yup, all aligned fine. That is why I replaced the gear and shaft that I just out in. The shaft was cracked and the gear was loose. Vibe was still there after that but nowhere near as bad.