HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Get it outside! You will beat it to death learning indoors!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
Constant edits for autocorrect
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Get it outside! You will beat it to death learning indoors!
We are currently 15 steady and gusting at 26 MPH. Outside it would cease to be a heli and become a lineless kite. Been playing in the garage and working out the quirks. It avoids walls now for the most part.
rallykid is offline Find More Posts by rallykid
Last edited by rallykid; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallykid View Post
MSRX finally came home with me today. Working on getting used to the unique handling quirks and letting it get intimately familiar with the walls in my living room. Oddly enough the one my neighbor has that I flew with the stock controller doesn't seem nearly as twitchy as mine does even with the tame settings from Salt's book.
I recommend looking into doing the MMM and adjusting link lengths to tame it down for controlled indoor flight. Outdoors this is much less of a concern.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:19 AM
Constant edits for autocorrect
United States, MI
Joined Jul 2012
122 Posts
That was the first thing I did after binding it and seeing which direction it wanted to go. I researched this one for a while before I pulled the trigger on it. I learned my lesson about nasty surprises when impulse buying.
rallykid is offline Find More Posts by rallykid
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,743 Posts
Good man. What you'll be learning how to do with this heli is how to compensate for the tilt of the body with the cyclic while you use the rudder. A few pages back I made big post of exercises that you can do to explicitly practice this skill and which I try to do every so often (esp. when I don't fly it indoors for a while). What you'll discover is that with practice you'll automatically start to mix your cyclic motions into your rudder motions and then adjust the amount as needed. It'll take a little while and some practice before this kicks in but if you stick with it and alternate this heli with others (stop for a while when you get frustrated!) you'll definitely get it.

Then when your brain makes the leap, you'll find that what you've learned will translate very well to other FP helis that you might try to fly (don't remember if you have any more...)

Have fun with it! And then look into getting aluminum blade grips at the very least. Maybe you can wait until the first blade grip ball breaks, but once it does, I recommend going aluminum.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,283 Posts
Couple questions before I go back and start reading everything. About how many pages in did people actually start getting the heli and testing it?
Then the question about what mine is doing. Is it normal for the rudder to shut down if the heli is turned 90degrees? Mine has been a hit or miss deal. One minute it's fine and takes controls just fine. The next it does something completely opposite what your trying to do with the controls, or it just goes into a tail spin and off it goes.
After he spun it in I held it up while he throttled up. Holding level if I turned it 90 degrees the rudder just shut down. Is that normal?
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Couple questions before I go back and start reading everything. About how many pages in did people actually start getting the heli and testing it?
Then the question about what mine is doing. Is it normal for the rudder to shut down if the heli is turned 90degrees? Mine has been a hit or miss deal. One minute it's fine and takes controls just fine. The next it does something completely opposite what your trying to do with the controls, or it just goes into a tail spin and off it goes.
After he spun it in I held it up while he throttled up. Holding level if I turned it 90 degrees the rudder just shut down. Is that normal?
Off hand, I'd say around January 2012 is when most of the real hands-on posting occurred. That's also about when the whole discussion about the tuning the link lengths (e.g. the MMM) came in.

When you say, turn 90 degrees, what do you mean? Are you saying rotating as if you were giving it yaw? Or are you saying rotating as if it were pitching or if it were rolling? I don't have my heli handy right now but it seems that if you hold it in your hands and then yaw it one way or another, it will do its best to fight that by changing the tail rotor speed. what happens if you rotate it 90 degrees the *other* way?

Also, what are you doing with the controls when it goes into a "tail spin" like you say?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Off hand, I'd say around January 2012 is when most of the real hands-on posting occurred. That's also about when the whole discussion about the tuning the link lengths (e.g. the MMM) came in.

When you say, turn 90 degrees, what do you mean? Are you saying rotating as if you were giving it yaw? Or are you saying rotating as if it were pitching or if it were rolling? I don't have my heli handy right now but it seems that if you hold it in your hands and then yaw it one way or another, it will do its best to fight that by changing the tail rotor speed. what happens if you rotate it 90 degrees the *other* way?

Also, what are you doing with the controls when it goes into a "tail spin" like you say?
The mSRX like most fixed pitch heli's with electric tail motors uses a speed control for rudder control. Faster speed turns/rotates the heli to the right, slower speed on the tail rotor motor lets the tail turn/rotate to the left. Some speed is also used to help counteract the torque of the single main motor and main blades with assistance of the Gyro sensors. I don't think I have ever noticed my tail motor actually stopping in any normal flight situation. I am thinking that is not normal, but it would more likely get close to that on a left rudder maneuver than a right rudder maneuver. To troubleshoot, I would try a new tail boom/motor combination. Most good RC hobbyshops carry Horizon Hobby and Blade heli stuff. I think it costs about $12.95.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Sep 16, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
A few pages back I made big post of exercises that you can do to explicitly practice this skill and which I try to do every so often (esp. when I don't fly it indoors for a while). What you'll discover is that with practice you'll automatically start to mix your cyclic motions into your rudder motions and then adjust the amount as needed. It'll take a little while and some practice before this kicks in but if you stick with it and alternate this heli with others (stop for a while when you get frustrated!) you'll definitely get it.
Yup I'm still learning with this method. How long does it take on avg? I can hover well. But only in one direction still...
reemas is offline Find More Posts by reemas
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Ketan is offline Find More Posts by Ketan
Last edited by Ketan; Sep 16, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reemas View Post
Yup I'm still learning with this method. How long does it take on avg? I can hover well. But only in one direction still...
Depends on how much you practice but I flew 2-3 batteries every couple of days and I felt much better in my cyclic controls after a couple of weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts
the post RoboHeli speaks of is:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22595474

I'd forgoten about that. Sound like good drills to practice, I'll have to do that instead of flying out of control fast and breaking blades.

giiba is offline Find More Posts by giiba
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,155 Posts
For sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221125899669...84.m1555.l2649
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,743 Posts
@giiba : I find that after not flying my MSRX for a week or so indoors, I have to go back to my indoor drills and practice them for at least a battery or so to get my fingers back in practice.

Also, something fun to do is to see how slow and precise you can fly around indoors. I did that one day with every FP heli I have (MSR, MSRX, V911, TRex 100X, 9958) and it was a challenge!!! Some helis REALLY just want to go tearing around the room (MSRXs, and my black 9958 in particular) and it takes a surprising amount of attention and focus to reign them back in. Then you can go outside and rip up the skies to blow off all that steam .
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Nice!!! That's a good deal.
RCG Plus Member