HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Interesting...

I like seeing the comparison between the mSR X and the mCP X as I am contemplating the purchase of an mCP X as my intro to CP model.

Anyone else fly both of these models willing to offer their observations?
I have both, motor on my msrx just died though which annoys me but I beat it running 4-5 consecutive packs through it without a break so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm thinking maybe I'll try to solder on a small heatsink or something, I haven't heard anyone mention trying that.

What was stated about the msrx vs. mcpx is right on, it's a challenge going from flying the msrx to mcpx without paying close attention because it is WAY more sensitive. I've been flying helis for a while now and and comfortable flying CP birds, but you get so sloppy on the sticks flying the msrx that if you go right to the mcpx you can get into trouble quick. Happened to me today as a matter of fact, first flight was about 1 sec on the mcpx as I throttled up too quick and then dropped throttle/pitch and it decided to pile into the pavement. Good news is that the mCPX is almost as durable as our beloved msrx and will take an absolute beating. My mcpx is modded with aluminum upgrades and a full brushless conversion. It's an absolute monster in the air. The msrx is fun to do figure 8's in the living room and I buzz around a parking garage on crappy days at work during lunch when I can't fly bigger helis or planes outside. The mcpx is only slightly larger than the msrx but it's a completely different experience, kind of like going from a cadillac to a corvette. Both great rides in their own right, but one is sluggish and easy going and the other is aggressive etc. Bear in mind you can dial down the mcpx if you have a good tx, you can even make it "fixed" pitch if you want by adjusting the pitch curve so it is completely flat. Ultimately, the msrx is my guilty pleasure that I can pile into the ground at full speed with no damage, I beat on that when I want to "relax fly" since it's cheap and docile and hard to break. The mcpx is a great bird in it's own right, but you will definitely need to be a lot more sensitive on the sticks once you dial things up and don't over deaden with expo and travel etc... Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tom
d2tw4all is online now Find More Posts by d2tw4all
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Someone with motor problems confirm?

I started reading this thread but just don't have all night and searching for motor search terms yielded way too many results. Can someone confirm that the behavior I'm seeing is consistent with a motor failing? Basically I was flying FFF a bunch today and what I thought was early in the pack I noticed that the heli was losing lift. I switched out packs and flew a little bit more but after only 1/2 the pack it wouldn't fly any more. I figured maybe the pack wasn't fully charged, so I tried another later in the day and it flew for less than a minute and then didn't have enough power to stay in the air. Tried another fresh pack and the motor slowly died down until it wouldn't spin anymore. I pulled the motor and hooked it up to a power source and was able to get it to turn, put it back in and it actually spooled up for me and flew for a minute but definitely lacked power, then it wouldn't start on the ground without me giving it assistance to start turning. Pretty sure it's the motor and I just ordered a new one, but hopefully someone here can ease my uncertainty and confirm the behavior based on their own experience...

Tom
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
United States, WI, Superior
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I'm thinking maybe I'll try to solder on a small heatsink or something, I haven't heard anyone mention trying that.
I've had aluminum cooling fins super glued onto my main and tail motors since day one. Both motors get warm, but never hot.
dakilen is offline Find More Posts by dakilen
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
United States, PA, York
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I started reading this thread but just don't have all night and searching for motor search terms yielded way too many results. Can someone confirm that the behavior I'm seeing is consistent with a motor failing? Basically I was flying FFF a bunch today and what I thought was early in the pack I noticed that the heli was losing lift. I switched out packs and flew a little bit more but after only 1/2 the pack it wouldn't fly any more. I figured maybe the pack wasn't fully charged, so I tried another later in the day and it flew for less than a minute and then didn't have enough power to stay in the air. Tried another fresh pack and the motor slowly died down until it wouldn't spin anymore. I pulled the motor and hooked it up to a power source and was able to get it to turn, put it back in and it actually spooled up for me and flew for a minute but definitely lacked power, then it wouldn't start on the ground without me giving it assistance to start turning. Pretty sure it's the motor and I just ordered a new one, but hopefully someone here can ease my uncertainty and confirm the behavior based on their own experience...

Tom
Yep. All of that is all too familiar. Drop a new motor in and I'm sure you'll be back to normal.
dweikert is offline Find More Posts by dweikert
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Main Motor and Tail Motor Cooling Fins

This helps on mine - motors get warm, but never hot.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
this is what i use a transistor heatsink
kurmet is offline Find More Posts by kurmet
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
AHhhhhhh sunuva %$&&^1@ I just broke a control ball off the swash plate on my like third flight with aluminum grips. Just the run of the mill blade strike into solid object.. I think a door. Skidded out of a left turn
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Mix settings for rudder

I remember seeing somewhere on here about some mix settings for the rudder to help out a bit with the left/back, right/forward issue. Anyone care to share what's currently working best for you? I've got a DX6i. I've done all the MM adjustments and can compensate just fine on my own, but would like to try some mix settings.

As a side note (I'm sure this has been cussed and discussed), I just bumped my "Travel Adjust" settings up to 125% on the rudder and the right and left fast Piro's are faster and easier. Of course it doesn't help with slow piro's.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurmet View Post
this is what i use a transistor heatsink
like that..can you post pic?
greyhoundfan is offline Find More Posts by greyhoundfan
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
AHhhhhhh sunuva %$&&^1@ I just broke a control ball off the swash plate on my like third flight with aluminum grips. Just the run of the mill blade strike into solid object.. I think a door. Skidded out of a left turn
Just turn it there are extra balls on there...unless it's an ali swash too?

Tom
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweikert View Post
Yep. All of that is all too familiar. Drop a new motor in and I'm sure you'll be back to normal.
I figured as much, and already ordered one, just figured I'd sleep easier knowing it wasn't the board... SMT soldering is a bitch!

Tom
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:12 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,013 Posts
Quote:
that is because you did not come completely off the power before an emanate crash.
Learn to get real quick on the throttle kill switch or it will bust your balls.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
Polecat_af
Japan, Okinawa Prefecture
Joined Jan 2012
33 Posts
For dweikert...
My hyp 160s were never really 'warm' after a flight. More like 'not as cold as when I picked them up out of the box'. But never really more than body temp. Except for that flight when the motor was intermittently cutting out. My main motor had gotten hot before, but not like the time I was describing in my earlier post. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 flights on it and have replaced ZERO parts on it so far. I do a lot of hovering, piros, and circles/eights and every once in a while some fast outside stuff, so I guess it's had an average life. I have flown it several times back to back before, but most of the time I let it cool down for five minutes or so between flights. I forgot to mention that I have my timer set for five minutes, and I've got plenty of time beyond that to bring her back for a spot landing or just hover her close by and grab her out of the air with my hand.
Polecat_af is offline Find More Posts by Polecat_af
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
that is because you did not come completely off the power before an emanate crash.
Learn to get real quick on the throttle kill switch or it will bust your balls.
Ron
Yeah I don't cut power when I don't think I'm going to crash! This was just a miscalculation... I actually CA'd the control link back onto the swash (maybe my wording is wrong, talking about the bottom piece that the servo arms link to, not the top part with the 4 control balls) and so far it is holding, even through another couple of knocks.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:08 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I don't cut power when I don't think I'm going to crash! This was just a miscalculation... I actually CA'd the control link back onto the swash (maybe my wording is wrong, talking about the bottom piece that the servo arms link to, not the top part with the 4 control balls) and so far it is holding, even through another couple of knocks.
I know what you mean, I have had a bunch of crashes that made me think, "what just happened, I didn't see that coming". Anyway glue em up and keep em flying till the new parts get here. I have been luckly so far.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek