SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:41 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
It drifts to the right, because it is out of trim.

Adjust the aileron link by 1/2 a turn and it won't drift anymore.

THE LINKS AFFECT HOVER TRIM.
I can move it 3 turns if I want,,it will only launch differently then settle to a slow drift right.
I have had my linkages all over the place and can still hover the same.
Due to trying to find happy medium between right and left rudder turns ..and my servo issue as well

The drift at hover is the software holding the board at a predetermined position{if the cyclic stick hasnt been touched after throttled up}..if its been touched its a command and no longer a factory level of the board.

Even you had moved a link 5 turns and the bird drifted as you say..you could command with the stick to move the swash and it will remember that position{providing hover}...until we hit the rudder of course
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:44 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Remember if you move the bird the swash will follow...so link position doesn't matter
When we use the stick{with rudder off} we are positioning the board to a new attitude...the swash servos will go full travel if we tip the bird to much.

When the rudder is on we are positioning the swash with the stick.

Can we say flaw
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:48 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Twin Falls
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
I am new at this, but Martyn's approach is perfectly logical. New Toys, however, states that the continued input of the trims will increase the effect continually until returned to center thus drawing the heli off hover. I think I have experienced this very phenomenon.

Both of you seem to support adjusting the linkage.
Off Route Recalc is offline Find More Posts by Off Route Recalc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:48 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Toys View Post
Remember if you move the bird the swash will follow...so link position doesn't matter
I am begging you to misadjust the swash links by 5 turns and report back what happens!
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:59 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Route Recalc View Post
I am new at this, but Martyn's approach is perfectly logical. New Toys, however, states that the continued input of the trims will increase the effect continually until returned to center thus drawing the heli off hover. I think I have experienced this very phenomenon.

Both of you seem to support adjusting the linkage.
The approach works for setting the linkages when the rudder is used as the swash centers.
However linkage adjustments dont effect hover while the stabilization is on{rudder off}...as the swash will move around and follow the bird if we pitch or roll it

Lets say I moved the elevator 5 turns tight..this would pitch the bird forward...the board is now pitched forward so the software would move the servo up the equivalent of 5 turns
The swash always follows....unless the rudder is on
Then{with rudder on} you are in control of the swash "directly"..as the swash will not follow and only offers damping..now linkage adjustment is critical
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:06 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Toys View Post
Lets say I moved the elevator 5 turns tight..this would pitch the bird forward...the board is now pitched forward so the software would move the servo up the equivalent of 5 turns
This would only be true if the AS3X system had an absolute level sensor. It doesn't.

It detects only dynamic changes in orientation.

I don't want to beg, but I am begging you again to change the servo links by 5 turns and report back what happens.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Feb 06, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I am begging you to misadjust the swash links by 5 turns and report back what happens!
I dont know if I can get 5 turns out of it...But I have had it down 3 tighter than it is now...and right drift was the same..it did take off vertically however instead of going left.

Right turns were great with the rudder as well.
I have adjusted it the opposite for left ...it shot hard left on take off but slowly drifted right.
This is when I haven't touched anything but the throttle and all trims at zero with stock radio.

I dont know what you have for settings etc there,,something must be different
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:10 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Toys View Post
it did take off vertically however instead of going left.
I thought you said that changing the lengths of the swash links wouldn't do anything!
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
This would only be true if the A3XS system had an absolut level sensor. It doesn't.

It detects only dynamic changes in orientation.

I don't want to beg, but I am begging you again to change the servo links by 5 turns and report back what happens.
Tell you what..I wont go 5..but will go 2 down {left.}..I dont have enough room to go 5..I will hit a wall before it starts coming back right again.
Deal?

I already know the bird will come back..it always does
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I thought you said that changing the lengths of the swash links wouldn't do anything!
It changes take off...as the drive train is vertical..when the bird is on the skids it cant lean right like it needs to as it would in flight so it goes left.
If the linkage adjustment is to add right aileron this compensates during takeoff getting a more vertical lift.
Remember on these birds the swash dont follow..while the throttle is off...when you add throttle the swash will start to follow
When you have the swash jacked to the right and and hit the throttle this will give a little right before the swash goes back left
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:20 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Toys View Post
I already know the bird will come back..it always does
Does it always come back when you are in hover and change transmitter trim?

Changing the swash links and changing the transmitter trim without using the rudder is the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Toys View Post
When you have the swash jacked to the right and and hit the throttle this will give a little right before the swash goes back left
Why does the swash go back left? If the swash is "jacked to the right", this is the same as right transmitter trim. Shouldn't the heli keep going right if the heli is jacked right?

Because the gyros are stationary before takeoff and sense dynamic motion I can see on that on takeoff the swash might initially try and compensate, but because the gyros behave like rate gyros, the gyro effect will dissipate and overall the heli wiil move to the right.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Feb 06, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
Does it always come back when you are in hover and change transmitter trim?

Changing the swash links and changing the transmitter trim without using the rudder is the same thing.
it always comes back without using trim or moving a stick..this is with all trims at zero and touching nothing but the throttle.

I never use transmitter trim for elevator or aileron..I think that is where our differences lie.
I dont use it because it is considered a command rather than an actual trim

Also If i want a more vertical takeoff I can put the left skid on about 10 playing cards..it may go a touch left..but still will come back
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:35 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
If the swash is "jacked to the right", this is the same as right transmitter trim. Shouldn't the heli keep going right if the heli is jacked right?
Only if the rudder is on will the bird fly off with the "crooked swash"
If i have my rudder off...the swash follows the bird.
A "crooked swash" to the right will toss the bird to the right initially yes..then the software kicks the swash to the left to level the bird.
The swash always follows the bird here as long as my rudder is off and trims are at zero
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:35 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Toys View Post
it always comes back without using trim or moving a stick..this is with all trims at zero and touching nothing but the throttle.
I want to confirm what you are saying.

You are saying that with the swash misadjusted by 5 turns and the transmitter trims at zero and touching nothing but the throttle, the heli will handsoff hover?

If I increase the length of my aileron swash link by 3 turns, my heli veers right under the conditions listed above. This is the same as adding right transmitter trim and I can correct the problem by adding left transmitter trim.

If I do so, however, the heli will veer off to the right when I apply rudder.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Feb 06, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:42 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Columbia
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I want to confirm what you are saying.

You are saying that with the swash misadjusted by 5 turns and the transmitter trims at zero, the heli will hover?
I was using 5 as just a number to throw out..I havent done 5..but I have had my links all over the place.at least 3 in opposite directions
The end result is the same...it will go to pretty much do a hover{small drift right}..and a touch forward if you look hard enough
as long as the only thing I touch is the throttle and all trims are at zero.

You can also tape a penny to the tail boom and it effects it very little{it will jerk about at launch though}..until you hit the rudder then tail drop city...just as if the trim was way off on a conventional heli {non fbl}
Try it..get into a hover and flick the tail up or down..the bird jumps right back
New Toys is offline Find More Posts by New Toys
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion mSR to mCP X transition Nomad57 Micro Helis 23 Dec 31, 2011 07:07 PM
Discussion Quick MSR/MCP-X question... bp_968 Micro Helis 10 Oct 23, 2011 06:28 PM
Discussion mSR vs mCP X Nomad57 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 28 Oct 02, 2011 11:32 AM
Sold Eflite mcpx mcp x rtf!!!! Msr sr120 sr hootie7159 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM
Sold Eflite Blade MSR Plus 2.4ghz Eflite Transmitter soaringcam Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Apr 07, 2010 10:27 AM