HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:20 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Discussion
Seagull models-KA8B (3 metre span)

I acquired this model a few weeks ago.l have fitted 250mm electric spoilers,rather than use the antiquated letterbox spoilers.I used 5mm hard balsa,with a 1.5mm balsa cap on top of the 5mm piece,and epoxied it in place of the existing letterbox spoiler,then covered in white oracover.The 5mm piece and 1.5mm is epoxied to the box of the spoilers,and the spoiler is epoxied to the existing front ply web.The model is similiar to the phoenix models ka8-3.5 metre,with the elevator and rudder linkages/tow release linkage and canopy being identical.Two carbon tubes-12mm in diameter are used for the wing rods,the wings are bolted on with large plastic bolts,access is via a latched removable hatch on top of the fuse-nice touch.It only required 240 grams of lead to balance at 86mm-33 %.My only gripe was the tailplane cap screws were to short,l ended up replacing them both.Total weight is only 2.6 kg-15 ounces/sq foot or 45 g/dm sq.I have the tow release servo in,and just have to link up,and shes ready to fly,first flight will be off the slope.
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Damian Couzoff; Oct 20, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:23 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
The tow release is fitted and it took a bit of tinkering to get right.Using end point adjustment sorted it out.I am using channel 5-(gear switch) for the release.The canopy has to be removed, to put the towline in the release,and then replace the canopy,same as the phoenix model-ka8-3.5 meter.Also l am using a 4.8 volt/2000 mah-4 cell eneloop battery for the receiver,6 volt will not fit.However, the 4.8 volt fits well,and will be used instead.My wing incident pins make a big difference,overlooked and not considered by seagull models.I also used clear tape on the carbon tubes to make them a tighter fit,in the wing fuse tube,and wing tubes,simple and easy to do.Its now ready to test fly from the slope,l will report on its flight when that occurs,regards damo.Note-The box that it came in, is perfect to use to transport it.I just cut down the inner section a couple of inches where the tailplane is stored.The wings fit perfectly with the cardboard sheet used (supplied) to separate them from the fuse.I had to cut two slots for the incident pins in the end of the box and lid,easily done.Something to point out ,before you cut the box up and put it in the recycle bin.I also bought a spare set of canopy bolts and wing bolts,both made by phoenix models-they are identical,just in case they get misplaced at the slope,regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Damian Couzoff; Oct 23, 2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:30 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Successful maiden

I successfully maidened the KA8B today.It was about 12mph on the slope,and upon the iniotial launch it basically went straight up,but it could not penetrate out from the slope-cause,rearward C OF G.I landed it soonafter, and added more lead.Launched again,and it was still slightly rearward,l used up all the lead l had in my flightbox.However l used downtrim,and it climbed and went out from the slope.Its flys nice and slow,and landed easily with full spoilers.When l arrived home back from the slope,l added more lead, and have the centre of gravity at 60mm,which where it should of been.It will now penetrate better,and the elevator will be level with the tailplane to maintain level flight.Weight is now 2880 grams,which is still okay,after adding the extra lead,wing loading 16.5 oz/sq foot at this weight.Its also easy to fly,and looks good in the air,and good for those lighter wind days like today,and it will handle stronger winds on the slope up to 20 mph max.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:11 AM
Now living in Qld
Australia, QLD, Robina
Joined Nov 2006
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Couzoff View Post
I successfully maidened the KA8B today..
Good one Damian, you certainly do like your scale models, I will look forward to seeing it fly.
rgds Paul
PaulDfly is offline Find More Posts by PaulDfly
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:42 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
No worries Paul.I had a great fly off the slope, only 3 days ago.The 250mm electric spoilers make this model,the $100 outlay for them,has been money well spent.At one stage the KA8B was approx 500 feet above the slope,and still climbing,and about 200 feet out from the front.regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Damian Couzoff; Feb 27, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,896 Posts
I don't quite understand how the electric spoilers are "better" than the "antiquated" normal spoilers? I thought electric spoilers were simply more convenient and faster to fit, as they have the motor and spoiler mechanism in one unit. The integrated motor just replaces the normal servo and linkage... Reports I have seen have been less than enthusiastic about the electric spoilers (referring to the power of the motor I think).
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:51 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
I don't quite understand how the electric spoilers are "better" than the "antiquated" normal spoilers? I thought electric spoilers were simply more convenient and faster to fit, as they have the motor and spoiler mechanism in one unit. The integrated motor just replaces the normal servo and linkage... Reports I have seen have been less than enthusiastic about the electric spoilers (referring to the power of the motor I think).
The antiquated spoilers are the letterbox spoilers that came installed in this model-useless.Schempp-hirth spoilers are not antiqated,the electric schempp-hirth 250mm spoilers that l installed,to replace the letterbox spoilers, work a treat.The instructions describe that over usage can reduce the life of the motors.They suit this model ,as no reverser y lead is needed, no linkages and no servos required to run them.Installation was quick and problem free, less weight and cost effective,regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:39 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Hi Damian:
Is there a distributor in Oz who sells the Seagull KA-8? I live in the States (Honolulu), and have not been able to find a distributor who carries this model in the U.S.

Different subject ... over the years I have built/flown three of Ralph Learmont's Kestrel 17. The last two, I installed Graupner spoilers, and wing servos for ailerons, (rather than mechanical linkage as Ralph had designed for the original). Istill have all 3 of these delightful models!
Look forward to hearing from you with any purchase info on KA-8.

Aloha,
hellas09 is offline Find More Posts by hellas09
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:04 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas09 View Post
Hi Damian:
Is there a distributor in Oz who sells the Seagull KA-8? I live in the States (Honolulu), and have not been able to find a distributor who carries this model in the U.S.

Different subject ... over the years I have built/flown three of Ralph Learmont's Kestrel 17. The last two, I installed Graupner spoilers, and wing servos for ailerons, (rather than mechanical linkage as Ralph had designed for the original). Istill have all 3 of these delightful models!

Aloha,
I bought my ka8 from my local hobby shop.I dont think he can get them any more.The only available one now, is the phoenix model k8,which is 3.5 meter span.Try wwwrojshobbies.com.au.If you email him,he might be able to ship the phoenix model k8 overseas to you.They are retailing for $325 AUD.regards damian
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:49 AM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas09 View Post
Hi Damian:

Aloha,
call horizon hobby or email them. they carry seagull kits.
hondaboy92hatch is offline Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:59 AM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Many thanks ...per your suggestion, I will email jshobbies ref. phoenix model K8, and shipping to Hawaii.
hellas09 is offline Find More Posts by hellas09
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:33 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
719 Posts
Hi I. called J&S hobbies today and they cant get either phoe nix or seagull KA-8. I will continue to search for a US distributor.
hondaboy92hatch is offline Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
I have cut 2 identical length aluminium tubes(wall thickness 2mm)-12mm outer diameter,to use in place of the carbon tubes,if the need ever arises.Also for the front long tube,l have also cut an identical length of solid 6061 T6 aluminium bar 12mm in diameter,this can be used only at the front, as its on the centre of gravity.The rear tube is way behind the centre of gravity,so a solid 12mm bar can not be used,only tube.The solid front bar can be used for stronger winds on the slope,and l am also thinking of making a ballast box ,inside the fuse,right on the centre of gravity,for stronger wind days.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Damian Couzoff; Feb 27, 2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: 8 flights-all slope flights so far
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, TX, Waco
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Thanks for info. What servos did you use for ailerons, rudder and elevator? which electric spoilers did you use? Have you used KST wing servos or know anything about them? O viewed a 450 MPH glider on YOUTUBE that used servos from ALOFT HOBBY. Thanks again.
stephen Damon is offline Find More Posts by stephen Damon
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen Damon View Post
Thanks for info. What servos did you use for ailerons, rudder and elevator? which electric spoilers did you use? Have you used KST wing servos or know anything about them? O viewed a 450 MPH glider on YOUTUBE that used servos from ALOFT HOBBY. Thanks again.
Hi stephen,I used HS 82 MG for the ailerons,and HS 422 standard servos for the rudder and elevator,mounted in the cockpit.The 250mm electric spoilers are called ESCALE electric spoilers,l dont know if they are sold in the USA or not.You can also buy them from wwwespiritmodels.com in the USA,l think they are made by a different manafacturer, but they look identical to the escale electric spoilers.I have never heard of KST servos,but generally speaking Hitec or JR servos work well.regards damian..
RCG Plus Member