HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
My aileron servos are constantly moving even on windless days/indoor flying. It gets really noticeable when the speed picks up. Its almost like the gain was to high. *note* The aileron rods are in the stock hole on the horns. I'd hate to see how it worked if I moved them in at all.

-Brian
Balance your prop, and check your motor mount is secure. Also if you want to go an extra step, remove the top half of the fuse and check that the board is secure. If the board is loose, it will vibrate and confuse the gyros.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I reported having wing flutter recently on my 3D Beast. I didn't notice it on my maiden but did end up noticing it on my subsequent flights. But there were some significant changes to my plane. I switched out the stock motor with the V1 Beast motor and also put a 5043 prop on. I noticed a large amount of vibration at mid stick after this and also noticed the wing flutter.

So at first it thought perhaps my prop was unbalanced. I took it off, checked the balance and it was fine. So I spooled the motor up with no prop on it. Huge vibrations at mid stick. This is the motor that was on my first 3D Beast when it crashed (nose in). So I suppose the prop shaft is bent or something.

I switched back to the stock motor and prop and the vibrations are gone. I haven't flown it again but I'm betting my wing flutter will be gone. I'll post back once I get a chance to retest.

I'll probably leave this Beast stock. I mainly fly low and slow so I don't need the additional power of the V1 motor and 5043 prop anyway.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Balance your prop, and check your motor mount is secure. Also if you want to go an extra step, remove the top half of the fuse and check that the board is secure. If the board is loose, it will vibrate and confuse the gyros.
The prop is balanced and when I run it up in hand slowly from 0 to full throttle there is no vibration. I'll definitely check the board. I bet you're right and that's the issue. I'll report back later if that is it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Look for anything that is loose. Shake the plane gently and listen. There could be a tiny pebble that got into the lower wing hole.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
The reconsituted beast flys again!

Got it out for remaiden today. Still a little windy, but the AS3X does create confidence. It wasnt a WHOLE lot of wind, but more than I would typically fly a UM in.

As with any plane I've made major repairs on, it has some strangeness to it. It seems to want to roll right, but yaw left. Its possible that was a wind thing, so Im not too excited by it. I didnt go too nuts with trim in the air, it was easy enough to fly without it.

It looped very well, the roll rate was still exceptional. It also hovered well, despite the wind - the AS3X seems to still be working well. It flies knife edge left wing down as well as it ever did, with no real coupling that I could tell. For reasons Ill never understand, my thumbs dont like right wing down KE, so I didnt even try it today. Its been that way forever - on the sim, or with a real plane. I have to REALLY concentrate to do it without the sudden dive at the ground.

I had no flutter at all (BTW, my original beast 3D had a LOT of wing flutter at WOT on its maiden). This one is smooth as can be.

I did notice as I was repacking it that the battery tray had worked its way loose from the motor mount. Im not sure if that could be causing any of the flight weirdness (letting the motor shift maybe?), but that will be fixed before the next flight for sure.

I think Ill try it indoors next, or on a dead calm day to see what it does.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I reported having wing flutter recently on my 3D Beast. I didn't notice it on my maiden but did end up noticing it on my subsequent flights. But there were some significant changes to my plane. I switched out the stock motor with the V1 Beast motor and also put a 5043 prop on. I noticed a large amount of vibration at mid stick after this and also noticed the wing flutter.

So at first it thought perhaps my prop was unbalanced. I took it off, checked the balance and it was fine. So I spooled the motor up with no prop on it. Huge vibrations at mid stick. This is the motor that was on my first 3D Beast when it crashed (nose in). So I suppose the prop shaft is bent or something.

I switched back to the stock motor and prop and the vibrations are gone. I haven't flown it again but I'm betting my wing flutter will be gone. I'll post back once I get a chance to retest.

I'll probably leave this Beast stock. I mainly fly low and slow so I don't need the additional power of the V1 motor and 5043 prop anyway.
I'm also experiencing this. I've tried both V1 and V2 motors and still the same thing. I can't figure it out and it's extremely frustrating. Let me know what you find out. Also why is V2 so much SLOWER than V1 with the same power setup? It has a lot less vertical too but I'm guessing that's just the weight difference.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Got my beast today and had a quick maiden... FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!! This plane is amazing. I cant wait to see where else they take as3x.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Just listed the guts for the Beast 3D if anyone is interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594545
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Flight Report

I just installed my new 3000kv motor into my Beast3d. I am using the 5030x3 three bladed prop on it. Batteries used were 2S miniaviation 210 and 2S 240 Babbelbat hyperions.

Flight review:
WoW!

Performance:
WOW!

Vertical:
punch throttle, wow its really clim..... where did that tiny dot in the sky go?

Seriously though this motor is a must for this plane. I now fly it around at around or just under 1/2 throttle for scale flight and no more than 2/3 for precision aero. Hovers are 1/2 throttle or less although this motor prop combo seems to make it tougher to hover, might have been the wind today I'll try again on a calm day. Even at full right aileron it still wants to torque around, that said torque rolls are downright silly now. The beast is now right about on par with the stock sbach as far as speed if I cob the throttle in, maybe a hair slower. Still it's plenty fast.
The only downside is that the motor is a little louder if you get on it, although Its really similar to the 2500kv maybe even a little quieter at lower speeds.

Flight times:
BBHyp240:
I set my timer for 5 min and as soon as the timer went off I set up for a landing. Landed at 5min 20sec. I just plugged the pack into my Celpro multi4 and got 3.734v per cell. Lower than I'd like so in the future I'll aim to land at 5min. I'll edit this later with the exact mA put back into the battery.
*edit: put back in 203mAh into the 240.*

miniaviation 210 - I forgot to set the timer, was to excited by the performance
Last edited by kalmon; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: battery charge info
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Kalmon,
That's very cool Got any pics of the 3 bladed prop on there and what brand it is?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Kalmon,
That's very cool Got any pics of the 3 bladed prop on there and what brand it is?
Here are a couple pics I took a month ago.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Here are a couple pics I took a month ago.
Nice! Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:15 AM
Czech republic
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Official Eflite UMX Beast 3D

My new UMX Beast 3D AS3X http://www.martinpasacek.cz/rubriky/Video/

http://www.martinpasacek.cz/2012/01/...lite.html#foto
M.Pasacek is offline Find More Posts by M.Pasacek
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,209 Posts
That was damn good. Makes me want another beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Pasacek View Post
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,158 Posts
Quote:
*edit: put back in 203mAh into the 240.*
Yeah, would be nice to have that under 192mAh