HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:15 PM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html for the adapter and they already posted the other non elfite batteries for you. Which i agree are much better than eflite stuff at a lesser cost. Maybe a little research would do some good. You can get the beast and you wont need any other eflite products to fly it so don't feel stuck.
Thanks for the link. My adapter is on order, due in feb. 13 thanks again
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:28 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
One 3 of them I only got about 3 minutes or so of flying before either the ESC signaled LVC or my batteries died.

I guess I could've checked the voltage on the battery but I just put all 6 on my parallel charge cable at once. The average was still only 3.8volt/cell...
That is the exact same symptoms I've had as my cheap e-flite batteries died. Sometimes only after 10-12 flights, never to LVC...

Checking the voltage wont tell you too much as its not the unloaded voltage thats going to cause LVC. It seems that as a battery goes bad the voltage drop under load gets higher, probably because the IR went up.

On one of the e-flite batts I took off flew for 2 min and had pulsing so I landed and checked the voltage, it was >3.9 per cell but it definitely would not fly the plane anymore. the voltage drop was so much that the plane could only fly level or less than a 10* climb. I almost crashed it just trying to get it back on the ground.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
That is the exact same symptoms I've had as my cheap e-flite batteries died. Sometimes only after 10-12 flights, never to LVC...

Checking the voltage wont tell you too much as its not the unloaded voltage thats going to cause LVC. It seems that as a battery goes bad the voltage drop under load gets higher, probably because the IR went up.

On one of the e-flite batts I took off flew for 2 min and had pulsing so I landed and checked the voltage, it was >3.9 per cell but it definitely would not fly the plane anymore. the voltage drop was so much that the plane could only fly level or less than a 10* climb. I almost crashed it just trying to get it back on the ground.

-Brian
Honestly, I would contact them about it. The customer service is ridiculously awesome. I sent them an email about 2 motors I had bought that went bad in less than 10 flights a piece. Long story short I had 2 brand new motors in my mailbox the next day.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Honestly, I would contact them about it. The customer service is ridiculously awesome. I sent them an email about 2 motors I had bought that went bad in less than 10 flights a piece. Long story short I had 2 brand new motors in my mailbox the next day.
I did call them. I'll preface this with in general I've had great customer service from horizon. In this case though I was told that there is no warranty on batteries what so ever. I even told the guy that it was new and only had a few flights. They said that there is nothing they will do about batteries. This is the reason I now use miniaviation and babbel batts!

-Brian
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I did call them. I'll preface this with in general I've had great customer service from horizon. In this case though I was told that there is no warranty on batteries what so ever. I even told the guy that it was new and only had a few flights. They said that there is nothing they will do about batteries. This is the reason I now use miniaviation and babbel batts!

-Brian
Yeah. They know they sell craptastic batteries. They know...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
A few had mentioned that their wings were fluttering... I didn't follow this topic very closely because I wasn't seeing that issue. I'm seeing it with my new Beast. What was the issue and resolution? Is this an indicator that my servo is going to fail and if so do I need to go ahead and call HH?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
A few had mentioned that their wings were fluttering... I didn't follow this topic very closely because I wasn't seeing that issue. I'm seeing it with my new Beast. What was the issue and resolution? Is this an indicator that my servo is going to fail and if so do I need to go ahead and call HH?
My aileron servos are constantly moving even on windless days/indoor flying. It gets really noticeable when the speed picks up. Its almost like the gain was to high. *note* The aileron rods are in the stock hole on the horns. I'd hate to see how it worked if I moved them in at all.

-Brian
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
727 Posts
Today while running a few packs through my Beast I noticed the battery slid allll the way back to the Canopy and I could hardly keep the nose down. Sure liked to "hover" with it way back there though.
makg is online now Find More Posts by makg
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Today while running a few packs through my Beast I noticed the battery slid allll the way back to the Canopy and I could hardly keep the nose down. Sure liked to "hover" with it way back there though.
I've done that. It will hover like mad but that's about it!

Then it sucks trying to get the battery out. Took me a few minutes.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Quote:
I've done that. It will hover like mad but that's about it!

Then it sucks trying to get the battery out. Took me a few minutes.
LOL! This reminds me of something....

Back in the 90s, I thought about setting up a plane with variable CG. I figured it could be done with servo-operated sliding weight, controlled by a three-position switch on the tx. Forward position for normal flying, center position for 3D, and the rear position for wild tail-heavy antics. I never got around to doing it, however. Figured that knowing my luck, the thing would end up getting stuck in the aft position.

Ever heard of anyone actually trying that?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Back in the 90s, I thought about setting up a plane with variable CG. I figured it could be done with servo-operated sliding weight, controlled by a three-position switch on the tx. Forward position for normal flying, center position for 3D, and the rear position for wild tail-heavy antics. I never got around to doing it, however. Figured that knowing my luck, the thing would end up getting stuck in the aft position.

Joel
Only on Realflight. But I've had that idea too. Never tried it in a real plane.

-Brian
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:40 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel

Yep.

Some of the guys used servo operated variable CG in their Tournament of Champions planes in Vegas.
Was a huge help when it came to the 4 min free style.
Good memories!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Yep.

Some of the guys used servo operated variable CG in their Tournament of Champions planes in Vegas.
Was a huge help when it came to the 4 min free style.
Good memories!

rc
Cool! BTW - did you get your Gee Bee yet? Got mine yesterday. Check out my maiden flight-report: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=700

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,598 Posts
Sorry B3D lovers!
This post doesn't belong here.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Feb 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Beast 3D lives again

Wing repair is now done... it was a longer process than I had expected, but I took my good old time to ensure it was all going back together correctly. Took my good old time getting the old wings off too - lots of delicate xacto knife work to make sure I wasnt losing foam anywhere I didnt need to. I did decide to reuse the CF that was there before - it was all fine, saved me some effort in assembling all the rigging.

I put it back together dead stock - so had to open up the fuse to rethread the servo leads back through the lower wing. No more decals, but who cares. Looks like it went back together very straight.

Ill do some manual trimming, and then wait for a warmer day to remaiden it. This time, not close to any trees

>>> EDIT - Trimming complete, ready for re-maiden. Had to adjust left aileron a little (apparently got the servo mounted a little far forward, but more than enough adjustment available in the pushrod. Was happy to see that the motor still ran smooth with lots of power.

One mistake I made when I put it together was forgetting to note which hole the pushrod was in for the ailerons. When I reassembled it, I put it between the two settings called for in the manual. The throws look a little tamer than I remember them, maybe it came stock in the agressive position?

Now on to the next tech project - reinforcing the nose gear on my T-28. Maybe Ill go crazy and do the power upgrade on it too - would have to go buy some CF and a motor, but sure would like to speed it up. <<<

A couple pix of the reconstituted beast below... After getting it out of the tree, the wings were badly torn, the upper was pretty much off the plane. There were hunks of foam that wee missing from the lower where the branches cut into it. There was a some cosmetic damage to the fuse, took care of that the best I could with a little Sharpie work. Not sure why, but I replaced the wheel pants (which were missing completely).

Motor seems fine, brick still is working fine, the AS3X seems to be working fine.

If it still flies well, Ill be looking for more batteries - still flying the stock ef 180s (I have 2), but not going to put more money into it until I prove to myself that its ok.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Last edited by milehighjc; Feb 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM.