HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:29 PM
Gravity will always win!
United Kingdom, England, Hampshire
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
So here is the finished product. Everything is installed and working consistently and im very pleased with the build. Had some vibration issues on the camera at anything over 1/4 throttle but has now been sorted and have a clear picture across the rev range.

My nxt job is to get the cog correct and balance everything out. I think i have added around 10g to the plane so should be within limits, ill chuck it on the scale tomorrow and check the AUW.

How are people balancing their beasts?? I was thinking of building a rig out of two pencils mounted into a wooden base but am open to any ideas if you has a better one. Also do you go for neutral balance or nose/tail heavy??
Pennipotens is offline Find More Posts by Pennipotens
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:51 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
I like mine tail-heavy, but it's pretty nose-heavy with that battery anywhere but buried all the way at the rear of the tray.

I put 2 pencils in a wood block, and put some of those rubber eraser toppers on them. (the kind that come to a point) They're flat, so it keeps the roll axis steady, but allows the pitch to change as you balance it.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:24 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennipotens View Post
So here is the finished product. Everything is installed and working consistently and im very pleased with the build. Had some vibration issues on the camera at anything over 1/4 throttle but has now been sorted and have a clear picture across the rev range.

My nxt job is to get the cog correct and balance everything out. I think i have added around 10g to the plane so should be within limits, ill chuck it on the scale tomorrow and check the AUW.

How are people balancing their beasts?? I was thinking of building a rig out of two pencils mounted into a wooden base but am open to any ideas if you has a better one. Also do you go for neutral balance or nose/tail heavy??
Nice setup/wiring job Pennipotens. Can we expect a video soon??? Is this a 5.8 ghz setup and are using a diversity system?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
wow! here they all come!!! as3x is my daddy!!!!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFLU1280
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Gravity will always win!
United Kingdom, England, Hampshire
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Nice setup/wiring job Pennipotens. Can we expect a video soon??? Is this a 5.8 ghz setup and are using a diversity system?
Yeah hope so. I really would like to get hold of a nanno wide angle lens as i think the field of views a bit narrow but all thats really stopping me is the weather. I don't get back from work until its dark at the moment so like most of us im always hoping for a pleasant weekend.

Also i need to find a way of recording the flight without using a usb capture device as i don't want to lug my laptop around. I will have to fork out for a mini DVR or something, any suggestions??

The VTX is a 5.8ghz 200 mw band A. In theory it good for around 2km but its really only a park flyer if were honest. I do have an oracle diversity box but so far i only own one 5.8ghz receiver so not much point using it. Ill probably buy a couple receivers more as i want to have a go at de soldering one and trying to mount to a board and fit directly into my fat shark dominators. I know the pin outs on the goggles but just waiting for a multimeter to arrive.
Pennipotens is offline Find More Posts by Pennipotens
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:47 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
wow! here they all come!!! as3x is my daddy!!!!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFLU1280
I'm getting the ASK 21, a mini Slope Soarer!!!

I told Seth HH should do one and he listened
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:39 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I'm getting the ASK 21, a mini Slope Soarer!!!

I told Seth HH should do one and he listened
Then could you please ask him to do a park flyer sized Beast? Foam or Balsa is fine with me (balsa preferred).
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:23 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Then could you please ask him to do a park flyer sized Beast? Foam or Balsa is fine with me (balsa preferred).
Hoo rah! I would love a parkflyer sized beast with AS3X too if possible! I just love how it makes me so less anxious about the wind conditions!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:43 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Don't Hangar 9 already do a propper Beast?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:28 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Don't Hangar 9 already do a propper Beast?
Yea but it's a 100cc size plane. I'd LOVE to get one if I had a place to store it and a means for getting to the flying field. It's also about $1,100 just for the kit so I'm guessing it would take upwards of $2,000+ to get it up and running.

I'd love a $500 version of that. I'd be all over it like stink on shi*!
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:20 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Yeah, too expensive.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:29 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,684 Posts
No no no $250-$350 max!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,450 Posts
How about Eflite's '15-size' 40" Model 12 Pitts? It's balsa & it's reasonably priced. One could give it a Beast makeover.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL2550

Pitts Model 12 15e ARF by E-flite (1 min 0 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:55 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
How about Eflite's '15-size' 40" Model 12 Pitts? It's balsa & it's reasonably priced. One could give it a Beast makeover.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL2550

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtOOs...layer_embedded

Joel
I can't comment on that one directly but I've built and flown their Ultimate and it's not the greatest. Maybe I should've gone with the Pitts. If I'm not mistaken that is the basic deisgn base of the Beast right?
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I can't comment on that one directly but I've built and flown their Ultimate and it's not the greatest. Maybe I should've gone with the Pitts. If I'm not mistaken that is the basic deisgn base of the Beast right?
Yup - the Model 12 was the base for the Beast. Regarding Eflite's Ultimate - is it this one? http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...10-arf-EFL2750

If so, I notice that there is no mention of who designed it. QQ designed Eflite's Pitts Model 12, so it aught to be a decent flyer.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member