HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
According to Wikipedia, Cheating refers to the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process. Cheating can refer specifically to marital infidelity. Someone who is known for cheating is referred to as a cheat in British English, and a cheater in American English.

You can use the new system-I can use the new system. It's not cheating.

Lots of thinking time up there in the Great White North....eh?
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
i agree.
+2

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I bet the Sbach guys wouldn't buy a second Sbach.. but the Beast guys buy like 3 or 4
I know about that, I bought 3 beasts because they are so fragile.

But I have two Sbachs because they fly so good if I would happen to break one, I would not be happy if I didn't have one available to fly. Just could not stand to be without a Sbach.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Lots of thinking time up there in the Great White North....eh?
Ya know Bud, contrary to popular belief, we have the same amount of time here in Alaska as folks in the lower 48---or even Canada eh?

Rick, thinkin' about flying his Beast
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Guys like you are called "comedians" or "funny guys" depending...
Would you call the Jet World Masters "cheaters" because some, or possibly most of them use gyro stabilzation? It is legal for them to use gyros in competition. I say no, and I am also all for the new system in the ultra micros. It should make a fun hobby even more enjoyable for all of us who desire to use it.
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:14 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMan View Post
Would you call the Jet World Masters "cheaters" because some, or possibly most of them use gyro stabilzation? It is legal for them to use gyros in competition. I say no, and I am also all for the new system in the ultra micros. It should make a fun hobby even more enjoyable for all of us who desire to use it.
Honestly... I really did think his post was funny. I was not being sarcastic. I would have used instead of . I appreciate his humor and his response to me indicated he accepted that appreciation as true. Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't want to be labeled a spoil-sport what I ain't!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:24 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Honestly... I really did think his post was funny. I was not being sarcastic. I would have used instead of . I appreciate his humor and his response to me indicated he accepted that appreciation as true. Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't want to be labeled a spoil-sport what I ain't!
Sorry if I responded to the wrong person. Either way, I wasn't being mean or anything, just making a statement that they actually use gyros legally in one of the top competitions in the world of RC. Didn't mean to offend you if I did.
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMan View Post
Sorry if I responded to the wrong person. Either way, I wasn't being mean or anything, just making a statement that they actually use gyros legally in one of the top competitions in the world of RC. Didn't mean to offend you if I did.
No offense taken... and that is an interesting bit of information. I didn't know that.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:12 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
I reread the last couple of posts to see who called who a cheater to start people complaining about it not being cheating, but as far as I can see no one said it was "cheating". Everyone seems to agree its not and is a good thing. so stop arguing about it
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:33 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Cheaters Cheaters, you're all a bunch of pumkin eaters!! Ha, sorry. Been hanging around my 6yr and 2yr old daughters too much. They're getting all excited for Halloween.

Is it December yet? I'm ready to order my new Beast... Was actually talking about it this weekend when the local guys were watching me wring out my original Beast.. I hope to have a few more sold here in California City as soon as they're released...
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Pre-ordered this and the Gee Bee a couple days ago with my 10% HH coupon from testing the Beta site. $279. Not to brag

Now we have to wait
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Pre-ordered this and the Gee Bee a couple days ago with my 10% HH coupon from testing the Beta site. $279. Not to brag

Now we have to wait
Nice!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:20 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
RF5.5 Beast w/Gyros updated

Here are two simulations of gyros in the Beast:

1. Beast 3D simulation: For this one, I've omitted the remote TX switches, and detuned the gyros.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=16033

2. This one is a simulation of a Beast version 1 with heli type gyros. The gyro gains/modes can be remotely switched via the TX, and allows the pilot to experience what are called Rate mode or Head Holding mode.
http://knifeedge.com/forums/download...=file&id=15712

NOTE: I forgot to update the values for the lower aileron throws. It should be +-23 deg. Just like the upper ailerons. This value determines the maximum limit of your roll rate. If you want crazy fast roll, increase these four values. I find +-23 deg comfortable. Edit the aircraft, and expand the AIRFRAME tree on the left. Look for lower wing and expand the branch to get to the "Deflection Max/Min values"

If you'd like to make adjustments to it, here are a few (if you have any questions on any of the other parameters please feel free to ask - there are a lot, and each one affects the other).

1. You can adjust the dual rates, and expos on any of the control surfaces but they will only come into affect when the gyros are in rate mode.
Aileron -Mid/Low switch positions
Rudder/Elevator - low switch positions
To get to these adjustment go to the following in the drop down menu: AIRCRAFT -> Edit Gyro_E-flite UMX Beast_v1-7 ->Software Radio
Output Channel 1 = Ailerons
Output Channel 2 = Elevator
Output Channel 3 = Rudder

As an example, click on "Output Channel 1" and you can adjust values from the resulting screen

2. In Head Holding - TX Expo and Dual rates are ignored. The software instead looks at the gyro values for acceleration, and speed about that axis of rotation - Deg/sec^2 and Deg/Sec. You would need to go into the gyro and adjust the values accordingly. If you do it right, the reaction of the plane will be like that of having expo and dual rates. To get to it from the drop down tree on the left....

ELECTRONICS -> Gyro_Aileron...etc

3. You can also adjust the CG - Highlight AIRFRAME in the drop down tree on the left - you'll want to adjust the y co-ordinate.

4. You can override the compensation of the gyros with the sticks if you adjust the corresponding value in the gyro menu... "Control Override". The gyros continually trim your control surfaces throughout the entire travel range it is assigned. As you lower this value, the stick gets mushy, but the holding power of the gyro in windy conditions increases when your commanding it to roll, pitch or yaw. As you raise this value, the sticks gain authority and the gyro compensates less as you increase the sticks. Try it on the ailerons. I have it set to 50%. If you increase this value, your roll rate will increase, and stick response will be more immediate. Keep in mind that this does not work like Expo although it may feel like that at first.

5. The Real Flight transmitter only has 5 channels, but there is a way of plugging in your Spektrum or Futaba tx and utilizing the channels on those radios (7 ch., 8 ch., 10 channels...etc). This will relieve you from having to go into editing the airplane when you want a different value of expo/dual rates, gains...etc.

(The above file is as close to my Beast as it gets as of today - I've grown use to it, and have made it more aggressive).
Here is my latest video of it....

UMX Beast, Digital Camera & GoPro Mount (4 min 8 sec)

Notice all the switch flipping I need to do....hacker grade...eh.

If the parameters are set correctly - you won't even notice the gyros are there until the wind kicks up, do 3D moves you never could before, or you decide to fly your old V1 right after flying the solid on rails feel of the V2 (just speculating the wonderful job the HH engineers/programmers may have done).

If you'd like more info on using gyros on airplanes, check out Melnics tutorial. It's a good read...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=1
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 28, 2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Uploaded my sim of the Beast 3D
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
File has been updated. I've retuned the gyros, dual rates, and expo. You can get it here....

http://knifeedge.com/forums/download...=file&id=15712

If you'd like to make adjustments to it, here are a few (if you have any questions on any of the other parameters please feel free to ask - there are a lot, and each one affects the other).

1. You can adjust the dual rates, and expos on any of the control surfaces but they will only come into affect when the gyros are in rate mode.
Aileron -Mid/Low switch positions
Rudder/Elevator - low switch positions
To get to these adjustment go to the following in the drop down menu: AIRCRAFT -> Edit Gyro_E-flite UMX Beast_v1-7 ->Software Radio
Output Channel 1 = Ailerons
Output Channel 2 = Elevator
Output Channel 3 = Rudder

Click on "Output Channel 1" and you can adjust values from the resulting screen

2. In Head Holding - TX Expo and Dual rates are ignored. The software instead looks at the gyro values for acceleration, and speed about that axis of rotation - Deg/sec^2 and Deg/Sec. You would need to go into the gyro and adjust the values accordingly. If you do it right, the reaction of the plane will be like that of having expo and dual rates. To get to it from the drop down tree on the left....

ELECTRONICS -> Gyro_Aileron...etc

3. You can also adjust the CG - Highlight AIRFRAME in the drop down tree on the left - you'll want to adjust the y co-ordinate.

4. You can override the compensation of the gyros with the sticks if you adjust the corresponding value in the gyro menu... "Control Override". The gyros continually trim your control surfaces throughout the entire travel range it is assigned. As you lower this value, the stick gets mushy, but the holding power of the gyro in windy conditions increases when your commanding it to roll, pitch or yaw. As you raise this value, the sticks gain authority and the gyro compensates less as you increase the sticks. Try it on the ailerons. I have it set to 50%. If you increase this value, your roll rate will increase, and stick response will be more immediate. Keep in mind that this does not work like Expo although it may feel like that at first.

5. The Real Flight transmitter only has 5 channels, but there is a way of plugging in your Spektrum or Futaba tx and utilizing the channels on those radios (7 ch., 8 ch., 10 channels...etc). This will relieve you from having to go into editing the airplane when you want a different value of expo/dual rates, gains...etc.

(The above file is as close to my Beast as it gets as of today - I've grown use to it, and have made it more aggressive).
Here is my latest video of it....

Notice all the switch flipping I need to do....hacker grade...eh.

If the parameters are set correctly - you won't even notice the gyros are there until the wind kicks up, do 3D moves you never could before, or you decide to fly your old V1 right after flying the solid on rails feel of the V2 (just speculating the wonderful job the HH engineers/programmers may have done).

If you'd like more info on using gyros on airplanes, check out Melnics tutorial. It's a good read...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=1
Thanks silverexpress. Looking forward to tying the new file.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:10 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Ya know Bud, contrary to popular belief, we have the same amount of time here in Alaska as folks in the lower 48---or even Canada eh?
Laughed out loud. Thanks for that one.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley