HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Has anyone considered changing the PWM and Timing of the ESC? I'm hard pressed to believe the settings are all the same (default) for the 2300, 2500, and 3000 kv motors.

Anyhow played around with the settings on mine, and I did see a notable difference in power, speed, temps, remaining volts, and even motor sound. Running stock 2500 kv, and prop on my 3D - using Hyperion 120 & 180 mah batteries.

It would be nice if someone who had the time, and the support hardware to extract the numbers. Temp would be a key factor here too.
SE,

Which settings are you using?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,204 Posts
Joel, Id also be interested in what you come up with numbers wise by setting the timing up a bit.
The anemic power curve of the 2500 might be due to lower than optimal timing.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
SE,

Which settings are you using?

Joel
I played around with both the timing and pwm. I increased the timing to 20 deg for one flight, and noted an increase in speed, and a warmer battery.

For the next flight, i put the timing back down to 15 deg and increased the pwm to 16 khz. Noted an increase similar as above.

I then increased both, and the motor seemed to bog down to a slower top end.

May just go with the 16 khz pwm.

The thing is I don't have the hardware to quantify the changes. It's all by sight, feel, and sound. Thus, I did not want to push the values higher and fry the motor and or smoke the esc.

By the way this is all under the assumptiom that the esc programming has remained the same since the 6400lbl. As per the attachment in my prior post, the AS3x board also produces 6 sets of long deep beeps. In addition, each set has the matching sub beeps that are shorter and higher in pitch. I was hoping on finding another set of long deep beeps in hopes that they may have included adjustments for the AS3X.... nope...none.

(This made me wonder about the UM Stryker with its shorter prop and higher kv motor - I wonder what one notch up in timing will do for outdoor flying this winter).

More info:

http://m.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr...1#post20225674

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/timing/timing.htm

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=124700

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/escprimer.html

http://www.fesselflug.eu/html/cookbo...n_whittle.html

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t668427p1/

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/guide5.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...98&postcount=5

One last thought, this is a dinky motor, so I'm thinking with such a small diameter maybe we may need to decrease the timing instead of increasing it. I did not get a chance to try this.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2009
221 Posts
Help

Picked up my 3D BEAST, when got I it home, noticed one of the lower wing cf supports mount was loose.
What would be the best way to "refasten".
I also have NO way of charging the battery, but notice that HH has "finally" made a connector available......... in march. EFLA7001UM

Thanks, RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

Picked up my 3D BEAST, when got I it home, noticed one of the lower wing cf supports mount was loose.
What would be the best way to "refasten".
I also have NO way of charging the battery, but notice that HH has "finally" made a connector available......... in march. EFLA7001UM

Thanks, RUD
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html for 2 more dollars you can charge 6 instead of one and its available now. I recieved mine 4 days after placing my order. A friend of mine got the same cable, it works great
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html for 2 more dollars you can charge 6 instead of one and its available now. I recieved mine 4 days after placing my order. A friend of mine got the same cable, it works great
I am using mine right this very minute, and it is AWESOME!

Does up to six at a time, I have five on it right now.

If you do not have one, your life is incomplete!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,204 Posts
Raising the timing will def increase motor performance, increase batt temp, and decrease flight time. I wouldnt decrease the timing or the reverse will occur. I do think we need someone to measure the differences between the timing/ PWM settings as the esc can end up fried. Also, im about to install the 3000kv motor which means Im even closer to the esc limit.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
221 Posts
Help

Thanks, racknoob & hone1er.
Looks good , but I don't see how it would accomplish "balancing" with 6 batteries in parallel?
On the loose support issue, I guess CA or UHU would work.

Thanks again, RUD
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, racknoob & hone1er.
Looks good , but I don't see how it would accomplish "balancing" with 6 batteries in parallel?
On the loose support issue, I guess CA or UHU would work.

Thanks again, RUD
It has the balancing tap, so it is balancing 6 parallel single cells (half a pack) and also 6 other single cells in parallel (the other half).

If you are starting with healthy batteries I don't see any issues with this approach, but every now and then, I do happen to only load one batt at a time on the charger (say that I *know* I ran one to almost six minutes, and the other battery was at two because I landed early to check something out), so they still get individually balance charged from time to time. The bottom line is that each cell is getting 1S charged until it is topped up, via well-established parallel charging principles, so it's not like charging a 2S battery to it's nominal total voltage through only two wires.

I have a paraboard that should do the exact same thing to my 3S and 6S batts, too, but unfortunately, I think I ordered it with the wrong style of balance tap, so I might not get to use that one unless I make adapters somehow.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Oct 2009
221 Posts
Can't fly so....

Playing around with the beast in the house.
When holding it in my hand, I seem to see elevator and rudder movement when I change pitch and jaw, but don't seem to see any aileron movement when I roll it.
What kind reaction should I expect to see in this mode of "flying".

Thanks RUD.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
It should definitely have aileron movement when you roll it. I would contact HH before you fly.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Playing around with the beast in the house.
When holding it in my hand, I seem to see elevator and rudder movement when I change pitch and jaw, but don't seem to see any aileron movement when I roll it.
What kind reaction should I expect to see in this mode of "flying".

Thanks RUD.
It may be easier to see movement if you look very closely at the servo itself. Watch the little wheel and linkages.
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Mine is very obvious when I roll it quickly back and forth. The ailerons have a good amount of movement...
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2009
221 Posts
THANKS makg & pugsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
It may be easier to see movement if you look very closely at the servo itself. Watch the little wheel and linkages.
pugsam, much more obvious that way, all looks good.

RUD
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
I was looking over that esc programming guide and wondered what the throttle range meant. The default is 1.2-1.8ms but 1.1-1.9 is an option, would that allow something like 110% throttle if that was selected?
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon