HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Im at the reccomended 70% on low, or was. 100% now. Im using the V2 motor with the 5030 and am satisified for now. The one nice thing about the Hyp. 240's and the 5030 is the full 8 min. flights Im getting. I would like to tyr that 5.25 x 3 or 5.5 x 3 when it comes out. Im guessing a little more thrust with the same top end. Should be a good match with the V2

Anyone try this!!! WOnder if the esc can handle the amp increase??

http://www.wattsup.co.nz/catalog/pro...oducts_id=2775
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,228 Posts
where do you guys get black 5043s?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Im at the reccomended 70% on low, or was. 100% now. Im using the V2 motor with the 5030 and am satisified for now. The one nice thing about the Hyp. 240's and the 5030 is the full 8 min. flights Im getting. I would like to tyr that 5.25 x 3 or 5.5 x 3 when it comes out. Im guessing a little more thrust with the same top end. Should be a good match with the V2

Anyone try this!!! WOnder if the esc can handle the amp increase??

http://www.wattsup.co.nz/catalog/pro...oducts_id=2775
Dave,

In the Sbach thread, Brian reported good results with the 5x3x3 on the Sbach for slower, high-thrust, 3D-style flying. Might be worth a try if you're looking to slow the plane down.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3312

BTW - the HT uses the 5.5x2 prop on the 2500Kv motor, while the Gee Bee uses the 5.25x3.5 prop on the 3000Kv motor. The three AS3X planes use the same ESC.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:17 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,573 Posts
+1 the ESC can handle it. The same ESC is powering that 3000kv motor and a 5.25x3.5 prop.

I have to retract my previous dislike of this plane. I just flew it today on a better 200mAh battery and even on the stock power system it performed a lot better. It was flying in my back yard and very gusty 10-20kts winds. I landed and flew my sbach right after and WOW my ***hole was puckered tight watching that sbach getting bounced around! I am just amazed at how well that AS3X system works. On a calm day the sbach is my go-to plane but with some wind this thing flies like a 100cc plane!

And yes that 5x3x3 prop is really nice on the sbach, just use good batteries.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
FUENGIROLA (MALAGA) Spain
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
opsss!! mine is still in the way... and I have choose the batteries nanotech 2s 120mah, they are strong and HK send me a offer link, if you want to try:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...2-A1D414D58F60
You have to be logged and they are at half price...
Greatings from Spain!
juerwotow is offline Find More Posts by juerwotow
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Stuffed the B3D today....

Hi, all....

Stuffed the B3D into one of my apple trees this afternoon while flying in the yard. Tore her up pretty good getting her back down. Good thing the LHS has a few more in stock. Guess I'll have an AS3X brick & servos that'll be looking for a new home. Hmmm....there might be an AS3X-equipped Sbach in my future.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
where do you guys get black 5043s?
For me, it was a quickie job with a black Sharpie, since I already had the orange prop in my kit bag.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
The 5.25 x 3.5 might be a great prop on the 2500 motor! Now the grand daddy setup might be the 3000 motor with the 5.25x 3.5. Im sure that will move the beast quicker!
Are the 5.25x 3.5 props available yet?
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
PS, I flew in 12-17 MPH Winds today. Also found out why i crashed the first time in the same wind. As the wind picks up you NEED to be in high rates! In 65% low rates the plane becomes VERY difficult to control in big wind. tried it out and switched to low rates 75 feet up and again almost lost it : (

In high rates you have more control in strong wind to turn the plane around. i was actually maintaining level flight and moving backwards a few MPH. in high rates.
A few times I was almost full throttle into the wind and moving nowhere.

Now banking right out of that headwind was a bit scary as it goes from 0-40 in 3 seconds. If i were in low rates I would never had enough control to turn back into the wind.......oh well, live and learn : )
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:11 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
The 5.25 x 3.5 might be a great prop on the 2500 motor! Now the grand daddy setup might be the 3000 motor with the 5.25x 3.5. Im sure that will move the beast quicker!
Are the 5.25x 3.5 props available yet?
They weren't available the last time I looked, but that was a week ago. You may want to check Horizon's website periodically to find out.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:56 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
B3D turbulence testing

Here's a clip I shot before I stuffed the B3D today. I'm taking off to the south & then turning east to fly over my north yard. I used to fly the V1 Beast from the same spot. It was a real handful on approach even in a light breeze -thanks to the turbulence created by the nearby trees. The Beast 3D handled the turbulence with aplomb. In fact, I was surprised when I later found that the wind was 7-11 MPH during the flight.

No fancy flying. Just seeing how the bird handles the local turbulence.

Beast 3D in the yard (6 min 48 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 05:54 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi, all....

Guess I'll have an AS3X brick & servos that'll be looking for a new home. Hmmm....there might be an AS3X-equipped Sbach in my future.

Joel
DO IT!!!! That's what I'm doing with my beast3d's guts when it is no longer flyable. Sucks to hear about the crash though.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Ok, time to seperate the men from the boys.....lol. Just ordered the Gee Bee 3000kv motor and will try with the 5030, and stock prop. Stocker might be the sleeper prop here as there might be some inefficient flex in the 5030 with more power. The stocker is stiffer. We shall see. i also have a 5043 but my guess is that the hyperion 240's will not be up to the task. They are selling the Gee Bee with the 5.25x 3.5 and running it on a junky 200mah eflite 2s. Im really liking the 5030's chances as it should yield a tad more runtime and RPM.

If everyone settled on being "content" we would all still be living in Spain : ))))
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Ok, time to seperate the men from the boys.....lol. Just ordered the Gee Bee 3000kv motor and will try with the 5030, and stock prop. Stocker might be the sleeper prop here as there might be some inefficient flex in the 5030 with more power. The stocker is stiffer. We shall see. i also have a 5043 but my guess is that the hyperion 240's will not be up to the task. They are selling the Gee Bee with the 5.25x 3.5 and running it on a junky 200mah eflite 2s. Im really liking the 5030's chances as it should yield a tad more runtime and RPM.

If everyone settled on being "content" we would all still be living in Spain : ))))
You could just use the complete GeeBee system and get the 5.25x3.5 prop. My guess is it'll be thicker like the stock 5x2.75 but with that big cowl blocking flow the longer blade might really help. Probably wont be to good vertical but the top speed should be insane!

I am putting a GWS 6030 on mine as soon as I get my replacement prop adapter sent from HH.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
The Gee Bee is a solid 33% heavier than the beast3d. This motor also powers the stryker with a high pitch to diam prop. My guess is they "dumbed down" the motor for the beast. The 3000 spinning the 5030 should give nice vertical performance as its a 500kv jump which is an extra 3500 RPM : ) I do have reservations about exceeding 40 mph with this airframe as it wont take the stress for too long. Climbing at 20-25 is a different story : ) I think the new 5.25x 3.5 would also work but I'll bet your maybe getting 6 min on that setup.