HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:37 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Hatchback Landings

Today while flying I decided to try and land my Beast in the hatchback on my car. I nailed it on the first attempt... but I didn't have my video. My flying buddy said "too bad we didn't get that on video." So... out comes the video camera for a few more attempts. I never quite nailed it like I did off video but it's fun enough to watch anyway!

One point... the wind was blowing pretty steadily around 8-10mph from the front of the car towards the back. So whenever I would get below the horizon of the car, the plane was sheltered from the wind. Navigating this rapid change in headwind made the task very difficult.

3D Beast - Landing in the hatchback (4 min 16 sec)
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:47 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I just switched my 3D motor out with my V1 motor and 5043 prop. Ahhh... the Best is BACK!

Love the power and the quietness of this motor over the new 2500kv motor.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:41 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Nice flying on your V1 motor video Joel. You guys are doing a sterling job on the research for us hanging back on pulling the trigger. It did look like that V1 motor had more of the performance that we expected, what I find amazing is that Horizon didn't realise that they could just leave the motor alone when spending all that money on R and D.

Turnerm, good fun video
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
what I find amazing is that Horizon didn't realise that they could just leave the motor alone when spending all that money on R and D.
They couldn't sell their crap batteries if they did that. You need good batteries to use the 5043 prop on the v1 motor.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:18 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
How are you all getting the thicker than stock 5043 prop hub to fit on the shaft? Its so thick that the set screw doesnt screw in far enough. I tried taking off the spinner back plate and it fits but looks like someones butt hole.....
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Oct 2009
129 Posts
Deleted
DangerDave is offline Find More Posts by DangerDave
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:57 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,739 Posts
Any idea if they will be selling off and discounting the old motors since the new Beast is out? I see you can buy a new old motor for $30 just about anywhere.

Flew mine indoors today and of course got stupid with it. Almost got it to hover (does 2 seconds count?) but had some great KE and big loops with it.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
How are you all getting the thicker than stock 5043 prop hub to fit on the shaft? Its so thick that the set screw doesnt screw in far enough. I tried taking off the spinner back plate and it fits but looks like someones butt hole.....
Yes. Loose the back plate. And, language, please. That's needlessly offensive.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Very nice Joel and interesting too. Who would have thought a lower kv motor would improve performance?
with a steeper prop and better battery. It's a complete set of parts... a system, not just the motor.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Turnerm,

Loved the vid! That was some great flying right there. Kinda like trying to fly a light-plane in the wake of a big jet. Might be a good idea for the UM video challenge thread!

Yeah, I'm loving the B3D with the motor transplant. Of the commonly-available, easy-to-do power options, the V1 motor + 5043 + good packs setup seems to be the best match for this airframe. The ol' Beast is definitely back!

Aviefly,

Thanks! I'm not sure why HH chose the 2500Kv motor, but kept the old prop. That was a good combo in the Sbach, but it seems to me that a different prop should have been developed for the B3D - given the draggy nature of the airframe. Unlike the Sbach, the Beast just doesn't want to fly really fast. The HT's 5.5x2 prop with the 2500 or 3000Kv motor may be very interesting options for the B3D. With a 5" prop, there is over 0.75" of ground-clearance with the tail level - so that wouldn't be a problem.

I believe that we are starting to push the limits of even the current premium UM cells. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the Gee Bee & its 3000Kv motor w/5.25x3.5 prop. I think the premium LiPo comanies need to come out with a selection of 45C UM-sized cells & packs, now that they have most of the larger sizes covered.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Guys,

Before you all rush to buy new BV1 motors for your B3Ds, I just have to say....

Keep in mind that the next 'greatest combo' may be right around the corner.

Seat-of-the-pants airframe optimization is far from being exact science. In fact' it's pretty much the opposite. As the saying goes - your mileage may vary. As we have seen with the Sbach, where you live has a significant influence on whether the stock, 5030, or 5043 prop works the best - as does your choice of batteries. And that's just props. When you start throwing motor-swaps into the picture, things can get complicated. The cost/benefit ratio of throwing a couple $25-$30 motors at a $130 plane is relative. Some of us enjoy experimenting & don't mind throwing some money at a project just to learn about what works & what doesn't, and/or just to have fun. Others may want the best performance, but they want to know what works best, do it, be done with modding, and get on with enjoying flying their hot-rod. It's all good. However - if you don't enjoy modding for modding's sake, you may want to consider waiting for the HT's 5.5x2 prop to be available. That & the 2500 or 3000Kv motor + premium 2s pack may turn out to be a better combo than the V1 motor/5043/premium pack setup. I'm sure that some of us will be testing both combos - along with the Gee Bee's 5.25x3.5 prop on the BV1 & B3D motors.

OK, now that I've got that off my chest - let the modding begin!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 30, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:50 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juerwotow View Post
Hello, talking about bateries.... have you ever tried these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html Only: 8,5gr
OR
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html Also only: 11,5gr
The last one seems to be PERFECT! or even the 120mah to use it in indoors...
What do you think? they are 25c...
I've been flying the 180mah for about 25 cycles so far. Problem with NanoTech is usually longevity but so far so good. With a buddy code, you can get them for $2.56 and so far they are handling the cold very well (not as good as Hyperions though, but they are my second best in the cold). So basically, you simply add 3 everytime you order something from HK. Cost less than $8 and I plan to use the connectors after they die... I don't think they are worth the full $5 price though, particularly since now, you can get Hyperions for $10. Sales will probably slow down because of those new Hyperions, so I suspect the price my go down soon!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

Loved the vid! That was some great flying right there. Kinda like trying to fly a light-plane in the wake of a big jet. Might be a good idea for the UM video challenge thread!

Yeah, I'm loving the B3D with the motor transplant. Of the commonly-available, easy-to-do power options, the V1 motor + 5043 + good packs setup seems to be the best match for this airframe. The ol' Beast is definitely back!
Thanks - I had fun trying to pull that little stunt off. The crazy thing is that I nailed it on the first attempt (without video). The plane just kinda harriered right in there and landed upright!

I flew my 3D Beast with V1 motor just a few minutes ago in the front yard. It was dicey at best because we've got pretty strong winds here today. I think they are around 17mph sustained with gusts up to around the low 20's. I had a few bad moments and the 3D Beast is now officially broken in! She's all scuffed up but still flies like a dream!

Oh... and I increased my elevator travel adjust to 150 on my DX8 and now I've got good elevator throw. I'm just worried about the servo binding now.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The cost/benefit ratio of throwing a couple $25-$30 motors at a $130 plane is relative.
If you don't fly so well, it's free. Those poor v1 Beasts... they just didn't deserve my flying...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:36 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If you don't fly so well, it's free. Those poor v1 Beasts... they just didn't deserve my flying...
Yeah, I have three spare motors & bricks from various V1 "incidents" - one of which was a dumb-thumbs affair. (Really, just one. Yup. That's the ticket.) That's why I didn't hesitate to do the swap. I look forward to experimenting with the new combinations that will be available when the new props show up. I just wanted to put a disclaimer out there for those who may buy a new V1 motor & a handful of 5043 props - only to be disappointed if/when somebody discovers a better combo in a month or so that requires the 3000Kv motor.

Joel
RCG Plus Member