SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:56 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
This could get interesting.

I'm amazed what the AS3X unit does for such a tiny helicopter as the mcpx, I never thought it would be possible to get something so small to fly so well. Combining that technology and the brushless two cell set up of the Beast has to be just awesome.

I can't see it getting in the way of anything you want to do tho I do wonder what it feels like. For instance, as it tries to hold the last orientation you put it in, if you roll to knife edge and feed in the rudder to maintain altitude can you then let go of the rudder?

It will be interesting to find out, I just know I'm gona have to pull the trigger on this one.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:21 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
For instance, as it tries to hold the last orientation you put it in, if you roll to knife edge and feed in the rudder to maintain altitude can you then let go of the rudder?
I think in your example the plane will continue in its path but lose its nose high attitude and start the decent in a nice straight line.

In your example you should expect the AS3X to do is take input into the rudder for knife edge and remove any induced roll. So you won't need to manually correct any roll using aileron.

In really good 3 axis flybarless heli's you can put the heli in a hover and then peg the rudder over and watch the heli piro in a super flat piro. No unwanted tilting or wobbling of the rotor disk from the instability of the spinning weird center of gravity going on of the piro. Just one input and everything else stays stable.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:32 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
444 Posts
Compatability

Well, another great plane by horizon hobbys that i WON'T be buying,
come on guys when will you bring out a plane that will work with one of my Futaba radios ? till then i will be spending my money elsewhere !.
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:22 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfrance View Post
come on guys when will you bring out a plane that will work with one of my Futaba radios ? till then i will be spending my money elsewhere !.
Dude, get a Spektrum Module for that Futaba..... I have a 9CHP and I fly all my UM and UMX all the way up to my 80" Katana and my heli's. All with Spektrum or JR rcvrs.... You're missing out man... Go get a Spektrum module...
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Eh say what? You guys have been getting the new releases first, for the last few models..."closer to the source" and all that.

Bud, no sympathy Bud
haha ok maybe i got a dud LHS gonna call up some bigger joints, sucks to be use if thats the case the beast has never been popular here but always drew crowds when i flew it at the park, i wonder if people will be into the new beast....
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:24 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfrance View Post
your loss come back and read how good this plane is then say you wont be buying one
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:01 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,703 Posts
Two things are important and business, (1) innovation and (2) competitive advantage. The AS3X system is certainly innovative and putting it in umx planes clearly presents a competitive advantage. Looks like Horizon knocked this one out of the park.

I'm a serious 3d pilot and would not have previously owned a umx Beast because of its limited flight envelope. However, the introduction of the AS3X system has significantly changed the playing field so sign me up for a umx 3d Beast.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
See, I'm with KE Spin. Not quite an experienced 3D pilot but I'm working on that. So, with my original UMX Beast, I couldn't practice hovers and that's what I really wanted to do. So, I've been thinking of getting a 3DHS Huck but now, I think I'm going to get this little Beast 3D instead...

But, that little Gee Bee is really cool looking too... The funny thing is the Beast 3D is due to release early Dec and the Gee Bee at the end of Dec. Perfect timing HH!! I know what's going on my Christmas list...
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Two things are important and business, (1) innovation and (2) competitive advantage. The AS3X system is certainly innovative and putting it in umx planes clearly presents a competitive advantage. Looks like Horizon knocked this one out of the park.

I'm a serious 3d pilot and would not have previously owned a umx Beast because of its limited flight envelope. However, the introduction of the AS3X system has significantly changed the playing field so sign me up for a umx 3d Beast.
I'm hoping that the new Beast will fly more like the 100cc version!

I've gotten the current Beast to hover but it's not easy at all. I've also gotten it to do at least some form of a flat spin but again - it's not easy and it's not very pretty. If the new Beast improves on these (which they are saying it will) then it will be a winner.

But either way - I'm buying one.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:48 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Hovers were possible with the original beast. I'm a newbie as was able to hold a 5 second hover. Second, rolling harriers were possible. Third, KE loops were possible. Everything you will be able to do now will of been possible with the original Beast, but now it's just easier. The original beast was hard.. very hard to pull off 3D, but certainly possible. One cool thing was once you learned how to do 3D on the original beast, the other planes were simple.

Regardless of that, I welcome the as3x system for days where the wind is above 5km/h!
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Dude, get a Spektrum Module for that Futaba..... I have a 9CHP and I fly all my UM and UMX all the way up to my 80" Katana and my heli's. All with Spektrum or JR rcvrs.... You're missing out man... Go get a Spektrum module...
Yes of course, 1 module for my Robbe FX-30 another for my Robbe FC-18V3+
and while we are there, how do i fit a module into my Futaba 6ex ?.
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Hovers were possible with the original beast. I'm a newbie as was able to hold a 5 second hover. Second, rolling harriers were possible. Third, KE loops were possible. Everything you will be able to do now will of been possible with the original Beast, but now it's just easier. The original beast was hard.. very hard to pull off 3D, but certainly possible. One cool thing was once you learned how to do 3D on the original beast, the other planes were simple.

Regardless of that, I welcome the as3x system for days where the wind is above 5km/h!
I agree. KE Loops are actually easier on my Beast than they are on my 3DHS 48" Edge. But hovering on the Beast is MUCH more difficult. I can't do rolling harriers on any plane yet so I can't comment there! Tominator is the only person I've seen pull of rollers on the Beast... pretty impressive.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:21 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Yep, hovering is difficult. I'm pretty sure my space bar on my keyboard is going to stop working at any moment now from the amount of times I had to reset my plane in Real Flight trying to hover with the UMX Beast. But it was all worth it because it translates perfectly to real life UMX Beast hovering. I can hold it for about 5 seconds until I get inverted too much, that's what kills me. But the trick I've learned with the Beast is that when it goes inverted from a hover, you have to feed throttle too as well as down elevator (push up on the stick.) If you don't feed it throttle, you can't get out of the inverted state and will wing stall. Once you get a wing stall, inverted, it's pretty much impossible to recover from and get back in to the same hover.

But the real reason hovering is so tough, or any 3D for that matter with the Beast, is that things happen extremely quick with the Beast or any UMX airframe for that matter, save for the Extra 300 foamie. Why do you think numerous experienced pilots still fail to pull off a flat inverted flat spin? Because it's like trying to control a spinning car on ice at 400mph - stuff just happens too quick and its very unstable!

A newbie learning rolling harriers on the beast may as well have a box/bag ready and lots of glue. I bet even pros will have an extremely tough time with rolling harriers on the Beast... tominator makes it look easy - it is not A newbie learning rolling harriers on a 50cc gasser can drink coffee at the same time and chat with his friends... well, may not that easily done.. but you get the picture
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Madison Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2007
71 Posts
Well, They made a great little plane even better!. I am more a scale nut than anything and my V1 beast seldom gets over 50ft up, but it IS a handfull in wind. I'd still like to see a park 400 size.
wlester is offline Find More Posts by wlester
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
But the trick I've learned with the Beast is that when it goes inverted from a hover, you have to feed throttle too as well as down elevator (push up on the stick.) If you don't feed it throttle, you can't get out of the inverted state and will wing stall. Once you get a wing stall, inverted, it's pretty much impossible to recover from and get back in to the same hover.
You have to feed throttle and give elevator command with almost any plane to get it back upright if it's falling inverted.

My Beast has more than enough pull out authority to rocket out of almost any hover fall-out. The trick is making sure that you're not just going to jam it into the ground! But with the UMX Beast there isn't much time for reaction so once it start falling out I immediately start trying to get out of there by applying about half throttle.