SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:22 PM
You're turning into a penguin.
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
stock weight

Stock weight (dry, no batt) is 53.6 grams.
JetFighterDuck is offline Find More Posts by JetFighterDuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:30 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You get maximum throw by moving the control rod to a control horn hole hat is closer to the wing, but minimum resolution. But you are correct about the higher rates. I'm running at 100%.
Careful with moving linkages. The gyro's performance will be affected. You will either increase the mechanical gain meaning the gyros reaction increases, or you lower the mechanical gain. Looking at the manual the only recommendation is on the aileron horns. An increase may exceed the systems ability to dampen unwanted disturbances. In otherwords, you get resonance aka flutter.

Here is a good resource for gyros. It's for helis, but most (ok maybe some) apply to gyros on airplane control surfaces too:

http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...q.php?topic=84

Note that E-flite may have taken into account the holes on the horn into their programming.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:34 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Never having a micro with ailerons and rudder, could I use a Ail to Rud mix on my 9503??
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:06 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Never having a micro with ailerons and rudder, could I use a Ail to Rud mix on my 9503??
Reply removed, better info below.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 10, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Adding a rudder mix will ruin the perfect un-coupled roll the Beast has. The Beast 3D forces the issue of learning coordinated turns, and that's a good thing.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:13 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Beast 3D Maiden Complete!

Ran three batts through in the 5030 prop. Impressions:

- Definitely flies like a bigger airplane.
- Can still fly yank and bank if you want to. I DID NOT have to use rudder in turns.
- Can do amazing slow flight and harriers. The gyros help a lot with the wing rock, and brought it down to almost nil. I was able to fly straight into the wind with the throttle almost off and it was solid.
- The gyros cause some silly aileron twitching during flight, but the plane still goes straight.
- Hovers are possible, but still tricky... at least for me.
- Power was sufficient to climb out of a hover, but not like a rocket. Hovering requires a lot of power, so expect shorter flight times.
- I flew with 10% expo, no problem.
- Roll rate is underwhelming, but functional
- Elevators need more deflection for serious 3D. Mine came installed at the innermost hole, and I still wanted more.
- All control movement seemed tame. I'd expect more responsiveness out of something advertised as 3D

Overall, a GREAT value for $139. I'm looking forward to some more flying soon.

----note--- My friend didn't operate the video camera correctly, so no video.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
is the 5030 prop the stock prop? If not how was the performance increase compared to the stock? You also need to let us know how the 5043 compares against the other 2.

GET BACK OUT THERE!!!!! lol
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
no, I took the stock prop off and never used it. Stock prop = junk. Didn't like it on the Beast V1 or the SBach.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
tell her your in love with another woman......she will throw the plane at you and storm out of the house. Make 2 quick flights with video then call her cell phone and tell her you were only kidding.........
:d:d lol like it
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
tell her your in love with another woman......she will throw the plane at you and storm out of the house. Make 2 quick flights with video then call her cell phone and tell her you were only kidding.........
sorry double post
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
ok

so your initial flight was with the 5030? no way to tell the difference over stock then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
no, I took the stock prop off and never used it. Stock prop = junk. Didn't like it on the Beast V1 or the SBach.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,257 Posts
Quote:

- Can still fly yank and bank if you want to. I DID NOT have to use rudder in turns.
- Can do amazing slow flight and harriers. The gyros help a lot with the wing rock, and brought it down to almost nil. I was able to fly straight into the wind with the throttle almost off and it was solid.
- The gyros cause some silly aileron twitching during flight, but the plane still goes straight.
- Power was sufficient to climb out of a hover, but not like a rocket. Hovering requires a lot of power, so expect shorter flight times.
- Elevators need more deflection for serious 3D. Mine came installed at the innermost hole, and I still wanted more.
- All control movement seemed tame. I'd expect more responsiveness out of something advertised as 3D

Thanks for the report. For the most part it sounds very good. What prop size did you use?
Just found out on UPS.com that mine is being delivered on Tuesday!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:39 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:

Try negative expo on the control surfaces you find slow. The AS3X probably continues on with corrections even when the control surface is being deflected by you. This will result in a slow response. Try adding negative expo. Also increasing the d/r may help out.

Great reports by the way-highlighting issues with power and possibly too strong a gain on the rudder gyro as noted by erkq.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 10, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Theres a dude by the name of Melnic who's collected a great deal of info in using gyros on planes. He's combined all this info on a website, and its highlighted here on the first post of this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035605

This info may or may not help in tuning your new 3D beast to your liking. It's fun reading though, and taught me a lot about gyros being used on planes.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 10, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
If it needs more elevator, you may want to try moving the CG back to make it more responsive. That'll help w hovering, too.
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer