SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NY, Mamaroneck
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
I just got a umx beast 3D, but I haven't gotten the chane to maiden it yet, I'm pretty excited, wish me luck
Jboyyy is offline Find More Posts by Jboyyy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:13 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboyyy View Post
I just got a umx beast 3D, but I haven't gotten the chane to maiden it yet, I'm pretty excited, wish me luck
Jboyyy,

Welcome to the UMX Beast owner's club!

Good luck with the maiden!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:20 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboyyy View Post
Be sure to test the servos and the motor for a good 1-2 minutes on the ground before your maiden. I was unlucky with my 1st 2 Beasts that had the bad boards that were making it into the Carbon Cub. 1st kept hitting OCP and the second had bad elevator an rudder servos. If it passes the ground check, get some clear tape and dynamically balance the prop for an ultra smooth maiden
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Be sure to test the servos and the motor for a good 1-2 minutes on the ground before your maiden. I was unlucky with my 1st 2 Beasts that had the bad boards that were making it into the Carbon Cub. 1st kept hitting OCP and the second had bad elevator an rudder servos. If it passes the ground check, get some clear tape and dynamically balance the prop for an ultra smooth maiden
Be careful about extended ground testing of the servos. The Voltage Regulator will get hot if you go crazy and test for over a min straight as there will be no airflow over the brick! If you want to test it I'd suggest maybe a 1/3 throttle and hold the plane. This way at least propwash is helping move some air around inside. Another option is taxing the plane while moving the controls. Best option, if you still insist on a long test, would be test 20 sec, unplug and let cool, repeat until you're confident.

Personally I move each surface every direction once quickly and make sure there is no binding and check proper direction, then move each surface once slowly through full range. If it passes both these I fly it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:31 AM
plane demo expert
United States, CA, South Gate
Joined Nov 2012
40 Posts
I took my Beast AS3X for her maiden this morning. At take off she was pulling left I had to pull hard right just to make her go straight, That sucked!!! Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
strows is offline Find More Posts by strows
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:43 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Did you slowly increase throttle for take off or just gun it ?
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strows View Post
I took my Beast AS3X for her maiden this morning. At take off she was pulling left I had to pull hard right just to make her go straight, That sucked!!! Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Was it stationary during "boot-up"?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strows View Post
Strows,

Congrats on your successful maiden!

Did you mechanically trim the control-surfaces for zero deflection before the maiden - per the instructions on page 6 of the manual? If not - do so & then go for another test-flight. Trim for level flight @ 75% throttle. Make a pass directly overhead. If there is any wind, be sure to fly directly upwind or downwind. Check for yaw as the plane is going away from you. Apply rudder trim as needed. Then trim for roll, if required. Transfer all tx trim to mechanical trim, as AS3X interprets anything more than around 3 clicks of trim as pilot input. Remember to reset your tx trims, then go for another flight. When you're done, you shouldn't need more than 1-2 clicks of tx trim in any axis.

BTW - taildraggers require right-rudder on takeoff, due to the effects of P-factor, slipstream, and torque. You always have to steer with rudder during the takeoff run.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:34 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,628 Posts
Wow what a morning! Snow was firm enough to ROS. Sbach has been in hanger for a month. Off went the Sbach into the sky until the wing ripped off on the bottom of a loop. Trudge back through snow 1/4 mile to car and to home to get my Beast out. Back across snow with no snowshoes. Pre-flight check. No sunglasses. Back home. Trudge. Pre-flight, no right aileron. Fly anyway. Get home for repair and it turned out to be a very tiny bit of plastic stuck in the servo gear wheel. Couldn't see it until I got out the 3.5 mag. glasses and put wheel on white paper. Cleaned up the gear wheel. Went to load car and the wind came up. Oh well....now I can stay home and clean house. oh ya...I've got an Sbach to glue back together. Now I long for my dependable old Carbon Cub.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:47 PM
plane demo expert
Joined Nov 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Did you slowly increase throttle for take off or just gun it ?
I might have gunned it on the dirt right before it ran into the grass...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
plane demo expert
Joined Nov 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Strows,

Congrats on your successful maiden!

Did you mechanically trim the control-surfaces for zero deflection before the maiden - per the instructions on page 6 of the manual? If not - do so & then go for another test-flight. Trim for level flight @ 75% throttle. Make a pass directly overhead. If there is any wind, be sure to fly directly upwind or downwind. Check for yaw as the plane is going away from you. Apply rudder trim as needed. Then trim for roll, if required. Transfer all tx trim to mechanical trim, as AS3X interprets anything more than around 3 clicks of trim as pilot input. Remember to reset your tx trims, then go for another flight. When you're done, you shouldn't need more than 1-2 clicks of tx trim in any axis.

BTW - taildraggers require right-rudder on takeoff, due to the effects of P-factor, slipstream, and torque. You always have to steer with rudder during the takeoff run.

Joel
After I mechanically trimed my control surfaces she flew great!!! Today was her second maiden and I was pleased with the way she flew.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:32 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
I've seen Joel post about how to trim AS3X planes so many times that I just had to post this link: LINK

ignoring the top part skip down to "trim". It looks like Quique Somenzini himself has almost copied and pasted Joel's trimming technique!

-Brian
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:59 PM
Brazil, São Paulo, Santos
Joined May 2009
69 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Just joined the thread because i just ordered the Beast 3D, but having it delivered to Brasil, I expect at least 3 weeks before I can fly it
So far I only managed to read about 75 pages of the thread and maybe the info I need has already been answered further down the thread

Eflite site says 0% Expo on all sticks (product specifications page)
Some guys report flying it with Expo

I am no expert flyer
Have the T28 UM and am comfortable with it (with lots of expo) and will definitely need to use expo for the B3D

Will it do damage to the AS3X?
Will the gyros not work properly and will the plane behave erratically?
Can I or can i not use Expo?

Can anyone explain why Eflite says 0% Expo?

Thanks in advance for your answers/opinions

Regards
Carlos
MozFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MozFlyer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:26 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozFlyer View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just joined the thread because i just ordered the Beast 3D, but having it delivered to Brasil, I expect at least 3 weeks before I can fly it
So far I only managed to read about 75 pages of the thread and maybe the info I need has already been answered further down the thread

I am no expert flyer
Have the T28 UM and am comfortable with it (with lots of expo) and will definitely need to use expo for the B3D

Regards
Carlos
You can use expo if you wish. The AS3X makes the plane less "twitchy"... less prone to sudden movements, so it responds more predictably to control input. Either that, or they built expo into AS3X. Either way, it's completely flyable with no transmitter expo. But, again, it won't hurt to add it if you want.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozFlyer View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am no expert flyer

Regards
Carlos
Like Erkq said.

Expo is a Transmitter side only thing. AS3X does not know if or how much Expo you have. The reason book says 0 is that the AS3X system makes the plane feel like it has a bit of expo already. how much do you use on the T-28?

-Brian