HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:40 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I can't hover either plane worth a damn, but I agree that the Beast is a lot easier to hover than the Sbach, regardless of whether they are AS3X-equipped or not. As RG mentioned, it seems odd that a short-coupled bipe would be easier to hover than a mid-wing monoplane - but that's the way it is with these two airframes.

Marlin - great flying! Nice torque-roll @ 1:07. Looked like nearly 3 rotations!

Joel
I'm pretty sure it is the ability on the Beast to get the CG a bit farther back. On the Sbach and even on the S3D the %MAC of the CG is still farther forward than on the Beast. That huge tray the Beast has allows for it. I've found that with a aft CG my AS3X Sbach hovers better than the beast, however even AS3X has trouble keeping up with that twitchy aft-CG flight when on the wing.

I do agree that when flying at a neutral CG the beast is a bit easier to hover though when it falls out Look Out! It falls out hard.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I'm pretty sure it is the ability on the Beast to get the CG a bit farther back. On the Sbach and even on the S3D the %MAC of the CG is still farther forward than on the Beast. That huge tray the Beast has allows for it. I've found that with a aft CG my AS3X Sbach hovers better than the beast, however even AS3X has trouble keeping up with that twitchy aft-CG flight when on the wing.

I do agree that when flying at a neutral CG the beast is a bit easier to hover though when it falls out Look Out! It falls out hard.

-Brian
Brian,

That makes sense. I've never actually measured the CG on my S3D. I just used the flight-test method to find the spots for my various packs & marked the tray accordingly. I noticed the same thing with an aft CG on the S3D. I shoved a Hyp 240 nearly all the way back for some hover attempts, which made it quite tail-heavy with the cf rod & glue fillets on the stab. The plane was quite squirrelly in regular flight, and I had to really push the nose over on approach to keep it from doing an 'auto-loop'. But the worst part was that I still couldn't hover it worth a damn!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
44 Posts
I posted this on the other beast thread before it dawned on me that my questions are for a Beast 3d, so apologies if it is already answered there I will see it.
I have two broken beasts off ebay (no need to comment on why I do this to myself)
First plane/problem: The servos on the board on the plane did not work. I removed and cleaned the contacts, even checked the motor brushes. Still they try but won't move unless I spin the gear first with my finger. All feels free when turned off. Anyway I replaced the board with one off another as3x beast that I got off ebay (glutton for punishment). All works except that the elevator and left aileron are reversed. Is there a way to reprogram these using the tx sticks to reset it back to standard Beast 3d programing?? If not, then can someone point me to what I can I do?
Second Plane problem: The motor on this one just stutters and barely turns. If I go to full throttle it quits entirely and the rx light blinks a few times. I tried a different motor with same results. Is there any hope or is internal esc likely fried?
Mathrips is offline Find More Posts by Mathrips
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathrips View Post
I posted this on the other beast thread before it dawned on me that my questions are for a Beast 3d, so apologies if it is already answered there I will see it.
I have two broken beasts off ebay (no need to comment on why I do this to myself)
First plane/problem: The servos on the board on the plane did not work. I removed and cleaned the contacts, even checked the motor brushes. Still they try but won't move unless I spin the gear first with my finger. All feels free when turned off. Anyway I replaced the board with one off another as3x beast that I got off ebay (glutton for punishment). All works except that the elevator and left aileron are reversed. Is there a way to reprogram these using the tx sticks to reset it back to standard Beast 3d programing?? If not, then can someone point me to what I can I do?
Second Plane problem: The motor on this one just stutters and barely turns. If I go to full throttle it quits entirely and the rx light blinks a few times. I tried a different motor with same results. Is there any hope or is internal esc likely fried?
Answered on the Beast thread. No worries most of us check both threads.

-Brian
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Mar 2009
44 Posts
I just reversed the elevator using the tx stick logic in the manual. Now I need to reverse the left aileron. Can anyone tell me which of the servo wires, red, orange, and brown, is ground and which is the signal?
Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
I just reversed the elevator using the tx stick logic in the manual. Now I need to reverse the left aileron. Can anyone tell me which of the servo wires, red, orange, and brown, is ground and which is the signal?
Thanks!
Red=positive
Orange=signal
Brown=ground
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
44 Posts
Thanks. Done and works like a champ.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Done and works like a champ.
If that's the case something is wrong with your ailerons. The champ is a 3 channel trainer plane!

-Brian
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:03 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
If that's the case something is wrong with your ailerons. The champ is a 3 channel trainer plane!

-Brian
LOL exactly what I was thinking
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Some issues are cropping up in my bone stock Beast 3D. I'm using 3s 180 batteries and now the motor is cutting out mid flight on me. Happened 3 times in a single battery. If I'm high enough I can cut the throttle and do what little gliding I can for 3 or so seconds then give it throttle and it'll come back on. I did a bench test and the motor isn't getting hot, even after 30 seconds of WOT, nor did it cut out. Any ideas?
JamesFM is offline Find More Posts by JamesFM
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFM View Post
Some issues are cropping up in my bone stock Beast 3D. I'm using 3s 180 batteries and now the motor is cutting out mid flight on me. Happened 3 times in a single battery. If I'm high enough I can cut the throttle and do what little gliding I can for 3 or so seconds then give it throttle and it'll come back on. I did a bench test and the motor isn't getting hot, even after 30 seconds of WOT, nor did it cut out. Any ideas?
The ESC is getting hot or your prop is now out of balance and it is drawing more amps and you're hitting Over Current Protection. You said stock but what prop you using? The Stock is the Eflite 5x2.75 but it draws a little more than the gws5030 because it is thicker and has squarer tips. First off I'd get a couple 5030 props and balance them and give them a try. Second you'll have to PM Erkq here and ask him about the heatsinks, Put one on across the ESC and one on the Voltage regulator. This should make sure the ESC and VR don't overheat.

Where abouts are you located? Temps? weather? Elevation?

-Brian
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFM View Post
Just to make sure... you do know this is a 2S plane, right? Running 3S on it is above and beyond the call of its design.

That said, I can send you some heatsinks as kalmon indicated. PM me if interested.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
The ESC is getting hot or your prop is now out of balance and it is drawing more amps and you're hitting Over Current Protection. You said stock but what prop you using? The Stock is the Eflite 5x2.75 but it draws a little more than the gws5030 because it is thicker and has squarer tips. First off I'd get a couple 5030 props and balance them and give them a try. Second you'll have to PM Erkq here and ask him about the heatsinks, Put one on across the ESC and one on the Voltage regulator. This should make sure the ESC and VR don't overheat.

Where abouts are you located? Temps? weather? Elevation?

-Brian
Yeah I'm using the stock prop. I do have some GWS 5030's coming in the mail though. I'm in northern Utah. It's about 28 F outside right now at 5000 feet.

I did swap the prop to a new one before flying, so I'm going to try putting the old tattered one back on. Was working fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Just to make sure... you do know this is a 2S plane, right? Running 3S on it is above and beyond the call of its design.

That said, I can send you some heatsinks as kalmon indicated. PM me if interested.
Yeah, yeah. I bought some 3s batteries last week because this poor bird has been neglected for far to long. Just didn't have the power nor the 3d capabilities to make it fun on 2s! I'll send you a PM.
JamesFM is offline Find More Posts by JamesFM
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
you do know this is a 2S plane, right? Running 3S on it is above and beyond the call

Yep!!

Sooo fun!!!!!

rc

HAPPY NEW YEAR
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:50 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Wait a minute! I thought this plane really woke up and fulfilled its destiny on 3s.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc