HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
plug in and bind the plane first. Sometimes the servos get moved out of center in shipping. Plugging a battery in will center all the servos. Then mechanically adjust the surfaces to neutral.

After you fly the plane and trim it take a look at the surface positions, center the trims and then manually adjust the surfaces back the locations they were previously trimmed to. This way on your final trim you'll have only 1-2 clicks on any surface. AS3X interprets excessive trim as pilot input. Having <4 clicks in any one surface seems to be the sweet spot for best performance.

-Brian
+1 on that what kalmon said. My Beast came out of the box with up elevator and I very busily was doing it's bench test and straighten out the control surfaces to my liking, including the elevator. A few seconds later when I bound it up for the first time the elevator dropped and I had to redo.
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
plug in and bind the plane first. Sometimes the servos get moved out of center in shipping. Plugging a battery in will center all the servos. Then mechanically adjust the surfaces to neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
+1 on that what kalmon said. My Beast came out of the box with up elevator and I very busily was doing it's bench test and straighten out the control surfaces to my liking, including the elevator. A few seconds later when I bound it up for the first time the elevator dropped and I had to redo.
MIke
But guys... he did bind it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesbee1 View Post
Hi Guys,
Out of the box after binding I found my beast had slight up trim. Is this normal? Should I mechanically adjust to neutral? Thanks.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
Uhhhhh....guess we flunked our reading/helping assignment for tonight. I blame it on being indoors all day painting the bathroom. Maybe more ventilation would be good.
Mike
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
But guys... he did bind it:
The worst part about it is:

I never learned to read!

Actually it is good to have the extra there as someone might search one day and not read back a few posts.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
I think I need to unbind my brain. All of this binding talk has gotten it all bound-up. Or, maybe I just need better ventilation.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:11 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,515 Posts
A mkII Joel with vent holes, sounds like you've let HH improve you !!!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
Custom snow skids for UMX Beast!

Here are my custom made snow skids for the UMX Beast!
The paint matched perfectly and it has The Beast name and graphics! As you can see in the photos the skis are to "snow scale". A lot of modders are making skis to plane scale, but as we have found the skis must be over scale as the snow is always to scale and we can't change that. Also you may notice that I haven't worked out a way to attach the wheel struts yet. I went with a mono-ski approach to save weight. These baby's will float over any kind of snow! Even the dreaded footprints snow! Can't wait to try them out next snow day.
Mike

I actually have skied on these skis for years now. I found it odd when they came out with a RC plane to match my skis.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I hope your Beast handles 3S... actually you might have to go 4, 5 or 6S
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I hope your Beast handles 3S... actually you might have to go 4, 5 or 6S
On the upside - wing-loading shouldn't be a problem with the larger pack. I've seen lots of ski/wheel combos over the years, but that's the first ski/wing combo I've ever seen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
I really have to say again after looking at the photos how well the skis match the Beast paint scheme.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I really have to say again after looking at the photos how well the skis match the Beast paint scheme.
+1 on the paint scheme ...and your ingenuity!

Wondering what color the underside of the ski is. Black or silver? With a little red trim? Gotta be concerned with orientation visibility, ya know!

Kudos!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
Well...since you asked. There is a problem with the base. Just black and kinda waxy. Black works well on my Sbach V1 so I'm thinking I'll be OK with that. Just really happy the top worked out.
Oddly enough also...the skis are very aptly named "The Beast" as the first time I turned them I crashed. Very beastly, but fun once you get used to them, just like the plane. Actually...I"m not real sure which has been crashed more, my UMX Beast or my Nordica Beast.

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
I am not sure how many folks look at both this and the other thread, so sorry for the double up for those that are on both. Just in the midst of a Hover and Torque roll contest on the SBach 3D thread. On the other Beast thread some folks were posting some great vids and I got inspired to break out my old Beast 3D and see if I could hover and torque roll it. Still not all that good, but I think the Beast is actually a BETTER plane for hover than the Sbach.

Anyhow, about the 3rd or 4th try in I managed what I think is a not back hover with 2 or 3 torque rolls. Was pretty happy with it, as that's the best I have ever managed with this plane.

Anyone else out there able to get longer sustained hovers on this thing?

Marlin

Eflite UMX Beast 3D - Hover Practice (3 min 29 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:43 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Still not all that good, but I think the Beast is actually a BETTER plane for hover than the Sbach.
I don't own the Sbach 3D, but own the old Beast and Sbach (and the Beast 3D). Without AS3X, the Beast is an order of magnitude better for hover than the Sbach. With the SFG, the Sbach get a bit closer, but it's still behind. So, unless the AS3X does miracle on the Sbach, I'm still putting my money on the Beast. Strange because being a biplane, I would have think otherwise!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:59 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
I can't hover either plane worth a damn, but I agree that the Beast is a lot easier to hover than the Sbach, regardless of whether they are AS3X-equipped or not. As RG mentioned, it seems odd that a short-coupled bipe would be easier to hover than a mid-wing monoplane - but that's the way it is with these two airframes.

Marlin - great flying! Nice torque-roll @ 1:05. Looked like nearly 3 rotations!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 18, 2012 at 09:42 AM.