HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
The Beast 3D is a must own aircraft.... Add the 2300 motor, 5043 prop and some high performance batts and good luck trying to wipe the perma-grin off of your face
Especially if those "high performance batts" are 3S! Woohoo!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
The Beast 3D is a must own aircraft.... Add the 2300 motor, 5043 prop and some high performance batts and good luck trying to wipe the perma-grin off of your face
Or if you fly in a confined space add the 3000kv motor and a 5030 prop. As long as you don't mind the added noise.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
hi chaps. today was a bit windy and the top wing on my beast(pre 3d version) finally gave up and snapped in half. I was going o buy a replacement when I saw that from my local shop the 3d set is slightly cheaper and have bigger control surfaces. on the other hand the tail & elevator control surfaces on the 3d also seem bigger.
questions are
-is my observation correct about the control surfaces or the difference of the basic and the 3d is the acx3 alone?
-has anyone fitted the 3d main wing set on the basic beast (and possibly would require fitting the elevator as well) or shall I stick with the old profile?
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
hi chaps. today was a bit windy and the top wing on my beast(pre 3d version) finally gave up and snapped in half. I was going o buy a replacement when I saw that from my local shop the 3d set is slightly cheaper and have bigger control surfaces. on the other hand the tail & elevator control surfaces on the 3d also seem bigger.
questions are
-is my observation correct about the control surfaces or the difference of the basic and the 3d is the acx3 alone?
-has anyone fitted the 3d main wing set on the basic beast (and possibly would require fitting the elevator as well) or shall I stick with the old profile?
Must be an optical illusion, as the airframes are identical. The only differences between the original Beast & the 3D version are the motor, brick, servos, and trim.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 23, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
well the 3d seemed a bit bigger and there is a difference in cost so I thought to ask.
Ultra Micro Beast Wing Set 14.24
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/121759/

UMX Beast 3D Wing Set 12.34
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/121759/

cheers
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Last edited by ckleanth; Nov 24, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
The perfect flat spin at last!

I've been working on my flat spin. Found that it's a bit easier for me to do an inverted one. So...I climb as high. Hit down elevator and flip the plane on it's back. It goes into the most beautiful, flattest spin I've ever seen! Even better then videos! I'm so impressed with myself! Then I try to pull out. Nothing. Plane stays in the most perfect inverted flat spin ever. Ground is coming up. I try to rearm the esc, maybe I hit LVC. No response from any channels except throttle. I cut throttle and watch my Beast slowly and perfectly flat spin into the deck.
When I flipped the plane after it's climb the battery came loose and flopped it's way in the the extreme back of the fuse as far as the wires would let it go. It lodged itself between the rudder and elevator control rods thus no control.
I learned a lot on that flight. Mostly that I need to move my CG way back for a better flat spin!
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
questions are
I just rebuilt the wings. Best quick advice I could give you it to put the control horns in the wing first, they are really hard to install later after the wings are mounted.
Mike
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, MA, East Longmeadow
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a Beast to fly at the local hockey rink. Is this enough room to be flying this airplane?
piper28pc is offline Find More Posts by piper28pc
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
AMA 1034020
United States, AL, Alexander City
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28pc View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a Beast to fly at the local hockey rink. Is this enough room to be flying this airplane?
It will fly slow,but the ground also will come up fast. All depends on you I could fly mine in that space easy. So i guess the answer is yes.
ATCH is offline Find More Posts by ATCH
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

Enough room for an experienced pilot who can fly high alpha, or a least a guy like me who would be lucky to fly a battery without stalling it along the way. There is video on youtube of guys flying in gymnasiums. I don't know your experience level. What other planes have you flown?
Mike
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
I fly in a basketball court at my school. It's about the same size. Personally, the most important thing is to do hammer-head or stall turns. Climb, slide with the rudder, and come back down. Know how to do that, you'll be just fine.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, MA, East Longmeadow
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
Thanks for the input. This is my second ultra micro. I flew the Cessna 210 when it first came out, but I got tired of it and went back to park flyers. I have several years worth of experience in parkzone war birds (T-28 and P-51 BL) but this would be my first 3D aerobatic type airplane. Up here in Potsdam, NY, it gets a little to cold to fly outside in the winter, hence why I'm looking for a sporty little plane for some indoor flying.
piper28pc is offline Find More Posts by piper28pc
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Oct 2003
114 Posts
Slight up out of the box

Hi Guys,
Out of the box after binding I found my beast had slight up trim. Is this normal? Should I mechanically adjust to neutral? Thanks.
yesbee1 is online now Find More Posts by yesbee1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesbee1 View Post
Hi Guys,
Out of the box after binding I found my beast had slight up trim. Is this normal? Should I mechanically adjust to neutral? Thanks.
plug in and bind the plane first. Sometimes the servos get moved out of center in shipping. Plugging a battery in will center all the servos. Then mechanically adjust the surfaces to neutral.

After you fly the plane and trim it take a look at the surface positions, center the trims and then manually adjust the surfaces back the locations they were previously trimmed to. This way on your final trim you'll have only 1-2 clicks on any surface. AS3X interprets excessive trim as pilot input. Having <4 clicks in any one surface seems to be the sweet spot for best performance.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input. This is my second ultra micro. I flew the Cessna 210 when it first came out, but I got tired of it and went back to park flyers. I have several years worth of experience in parkzone war birds (T-28 and P-51 BL) but this would be my first 3D aerobatic type airplane. Up here in Potsdam, NY, it gets a little to cold to fly outside in the winter, hence why I'm looking for a sporty little plane for some indoor flying.
Check out the first video for an example of how the Beast handles indoors. I think it's a blast!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3130

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member