HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
erkq:

Try Active Electronics in Vancouver. They carry a good range of electronic sprays for contact cleaning. Just MAKE sure that you ask whether any of these MAY dissolve foams. If you are unsure, please PM me. I am a chemist and can probably help with the contents for compatability.

SkyCadet
But if he can find Deoxit Fader spray, that has been verified to do no damage and work! Otherwise he's on his own to experiment. Why re-invent the wheel if there's any way of finding a DF source up there?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Agreed, but sometimes, products in the USA are NOT available here due to MSDS and export restrictions. However, Vancouver IS close to the border, and a jaunt out to Bellingham, WA would not be too much of an issue!!!

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
One guy does. He was very interested and intrigued with the alternative use for Deoxit. We talked about the hobby for a while when he called to see how the order went. (They call twice.) He is a techno-geek and enjoyed hearing about technology available to RC modelers these days, including gyros and FPV stuff.
They sure are good at follow up. I've also received calls from them. To make sure I knew it had been shipped, that I received it and so on.
I gotta say...this is the first big winter storm here in N. Cal and the first time I've been grounded since I started fixed wing flying last spring. My planes are all in their boxes ready to fly. Leaves are blowing sideways with drizzle. I might have to do some micro helicopter repair today.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
They sure are good at follow up. I've also received calls from them. To make sure I knew it had been shipped, that I received it and so on.
I gotta say...this is the first big winter storm here in N. Cal and the first time I've been grounded since I started fixed wing flying last spring. My planes are all in their boxes ready to fly. Leaves are blowing sideways with drizzle. I might have to do some micro helicopter repair today.
Mike
Yep... even south of you here near Santa Rosa it's not flying weather...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
erkq:

Try Active Electronics in Vancouver. They carry a good range of electronic sprays for contact cleaning. Just MAKE sure that you ask whether any of these MAY dissolve foams. If you are unsure, please PM me. I am a chemist and can probably help with the contents for compatibility. FAI/Active may also be a good search. ANY good wholesale electronics store does carry these types of contact cleaners.

Another option is isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol, 90+%, sold as "rubbing" alcohol) for cleaning using a Qtip, and then add a drop of 3in1 or similar light-weight oil and wipe with a Qtip as well. I've done this on my micro champ servos, and these products work very well too, and are foam safe.

SkyCadet
Thanks Skycadet, think I'll try the rubbing alcohol and see how that works.There won't be much flying here for a few days as the weather is even more unpleasant than is usual at this time of the year. Can't wait to head to Australia in 4 weeks!!!!!
John
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheus View Post
Thanks Skycadet, think I'll try the rubbing alcohol and see how that works.There won't be much flying here for a few days as the weather is even more unpleasant than is usual at this time of the year. Can't wait to head to Australia in 4 weeks!!!!!
John
I think rubbing alcohol has been determined to be a bad idea. Proceed with caution. Can anyone else confirm?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
If you're going to de-water and clean the servo wheels and gears, it's fine. Dries quickly too, and does not dissolve foam. Just take care not to soften the tape pieces holding the servos down. Appying with a Qtip works very well. Done it even on my older brushed gears for my micro champs.

It is NOT as agressive as acetone. FYI.

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Just take care not to soften the tape pieces holding the servos down.
Which servos are held down by tape?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined May 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Chasingair,

Not at all. In fact - quite the opposite. I fly everything from micros to 1/4-scale. AS3X actually helps, as it makes these planes behave much like 60-size or 1/4-scale ships, rather than twitchy little foamies that fly unrealistically. AS3X planes are great platforms for practicing your large-scale routine without having to go to the club field all the time, and without having to burn up gallons of glow-fuel or gasoline. As Mike noted - AS3X is not an autopilot. It is simply a 3-axis damping system that dampens movements in pitch, roll, and yaw that are not commanded by the pilot. It does not fly the plane at all. It simply makes them fly more realistically, and allows them to laugh at winds that would ground most giant-scale ships.

WSEN,

The Hyp 180s are designed for 5c charging with no reduction in performance or lifespan, so 800 mAh is fine. However, you can charge them the normal way with one of the 2s UMX charge-adapter cables. Use the UMX power plug part to gain access to the power leads & plug that into the charger's output port, be sure the 2s balance plug from the harness is not connected to anything, and then plug the pack's balance plug into your balance-board. That's how I charge my 3s Babbelbatts with my TP 820CD, which will not charge through the balance port.

Joel
Thanks for the info ! I have 2 60 inch EF planes, extra and edge. Both are my favorite. About the beast, Ive read this entire thread and I thought somewhere it said no inverted flat spins and or pop tops . .? It would be nice to have a plane in this size that kinda flew like my 60 inch which of course is high hopes ! So Im looking at the three, sbach as3x, beast, and that new edge thats a bit bigger. But the beast seems to have the slow effect, that drag, plus it really looks good IMO. Wish the control surfaces were a bit bigger tho. Is this a true scale plane ?
chasingair is offline Find More Posts by chasingair
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheus View Post
I've had one of these for 2 weeks, had about 30 flights with it. It's very wet here and the grass never really dries at this time of the year so the wing servos get wet and one went kind of erratic the other day. Radio Shack ie The Source here in Vanc knows nothing of Deoxit, any ideas who else might have it? I used a bit of WD40 on a toothpick and that worked this time. Apart from that this plane is a lot of fun now I have it trimmed out. Fly with the wheels for general sport flying and take the wheels off for 3D.
JohnAttachment 5313326
Have the local Radio Shack check their catalog or web site.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...kw=deoxit&sr=1
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Have the local Radio Shack check their catalog or web site.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...kw=deoxit&sr=1
Thanks, I will. They seem to employ kids around here who know less than me......... that's saying something. I'm hopeless with electrics.
John
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingair View Post
Thanks for the info ! I have 2 60 inch EF planes, extra and edge. Both are my favorite. About the beast, Ive read this entire thread and I thought somewhere it said no inverted flat spins and or pop tops . .? It would be nice to have a plane in this size that kinda flew like my 60 inch which of course is high hopes ! So Im looking at the three, sbach as3x, beast, and that new edge thats a bit bigger. But the beast seems to have the slow effect, that drag, plus it really looks good IMO. Wish the control surfaces were a bit bigger tho. Is this a true scale plane ?
Yes the Beast is pretty true to scale. None of the UMX planes can do a pop-top. It is an energy maneuver and there just simply is not enough momentum on a 2 oz piece of foam. It will do inverted semi-flat spins, just not overly well. Again it is a matter of weight.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:48 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingair View Post
Chasingair,

You're welcome! The Beast does have a true-scale outline, so the tail surfaces are a bit small as compared to typical smaller-scale ships. The wings even have scale symmetrical airfoils. Thanks to its scale fidelity, the Beast lacks the elevator authority for a true flat-spin - even with a slightly-aft CG. In contrast, the Sbach does great upright & inverted flat-spins - even with a neutral CG. Regarding pop-tops - as Brian mentioned, neither plane has the inertia for the sort of energy maneuver performance that one would expect from, say, a park-size or larger aerobat. Both planes are capable of hovering, but neither plane is as easy to hover as a decent 48-60" 3D ship. AS3X makes the planes feel like 60-size or larger ships only as long as there is sufficient airflow over the control surfaces. When AS3X runs out of control authority, the planes instantly return to behaving like the tiny foamies they are. When hovering right down on the deck & the planes 'break-over', the transition is often so abrupt that the pilot cannot make the mental switch in time.

Aside from the lack of inertia & more difficult hovering, the Sbach does fly much like a 60-size unlimited aerobatic monoplane. She also has a split personality that keeps things interesting. With a neutral or slightly forward CG, she is a great pattern ship. Move the CG slightly aft of neutral, install the SFGs, and her 'other side' comes out. Rock-solid harriers at nearly any AoA, KE harriers, square KE loops, elevators, harrier landings, and more become very easy.

The Beast flies just like a wire-rigged, round-engined biplane should fly - pretty much a big-ass engine bolted to a flying airbrake! It is an excellent performer in tight quarters, yet it is perfectly at home doing big-air IMAC-style maneuvers. The Beast 3D is the short-field king of the UMX ships - however the Sbach 3D w/SFGs comes close.

Regarding the new Edge - I expect that it will fare better than the Beast & Sbach in energy maneuvers. However, it's still a lightweight, lightly-loaded airframe. I doubt that it will do as well as, say, a 48-60" balsa ship. Also - the Beast & Sbach will handle far more wind, thanks to AS3X. With the right prop & a high-performance pack, both planes laugh at 20+ MPH winds!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 20, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Chasingair,

You're welcome! The Beast does have a true-scale outline, so the tail surfaces are a bit small as compared to typical smaller-scale ships. The wings even have scale symmetrical airfoils. Thanks to its scale fidelity, the Beast lacks the elevator authority for a true flat-spin - even with a slightly-aft CG. In contrast, the Sbach does great upright & inverted flat-spins - even with a neutral CG. Regarding pop-tops - as Brian mentioned, neither plane has the inertia for the sort of energy maneuver performance that one would expect from, say, a park-size or larger aerobat. Both planes are capable of hovering, but neither plane is as easy to hover as a decent 48-60" 3D ship. AS3X makes the planes feel like 60-size or larger ships only as long as there is sufficient airflow over the control surfaces. When AS3X runs out of control authority, the planes instantly return to behaving like the tiny foamies they are. When hovering right down on the deck & the planes 'break-over', the transition is often so abrupt that the pilot cannot make the mental switch in time.

Aside from the lack of inertia & more difficult hovering, the Sbach does fly much like a 60-size unlimited aerobatic monoplane. She also has a split personality that keeps things interesting. With a neutral or slightly forward CG, she is a great pattern ship. Move the CG slightly aft of neutral, install the SFGs, and her 'other side' comes out. Rock-solid harriers at nearly any AoA, KE harriers, square KE loops, elevators, harrier landings, and more become very easy.

The Beast flies just like a wire-rigged, round-engined biplane should fly - pretty much a big-ass engine bolted to a flying airbrake! It is an excellent performer in tight quarters, yet it is perfectly at home doing big-air IMAC-style maneuvers. The Beast 3D is the short-field king of the UMX ships - however the Sbach 3D w/SFGs comes close.

Regarding the new Edge - I expect that it will fare better than the Beast & Sbach in energy maneuvers. However, it's still a lightweight, lightly-loaded airframe. I doubt that it will do as well as, say, a 48-60" balsa ship. Also - the Beast & Sbach will handle far more wind, thanks to AS3X. With the right prop & a high-performance pack, both planes laugh at 20+ MPH winds!

Joel
Absolutely SPOT ON summary Joel!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
The Beast 3D is a must own aircraft.... Add the 2300 motor, 5043 prop and some high performance batts and good luck trying to wipe the perma-grin off of your face
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro