HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingair View Post
But back to the beast and the 3 wire going to the speed control. what do i do with the third wire if I'm using the deans micro ?
Only 2 wires go to the speed control. 3 wires is only for charging.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,598 Posts
Quote from chasingair (i messed up my post)
"Can a plane with the AS3X system cause any issues when flying non AS3X ?
in other words can it induce bad flying habits when flying non AS3X bigger 3d planes ?[/QUOTE]

About the AS3X....IMO the AS3X doesn't fly the plane. The pilot does. I really only notice it in the wind, that's where it really gets a workout. Puff of wind comes and instead of the wing tipping the aileron will quickly compensate. I couldn't imaging flying these UMX lightweights without AS3X. The only non AS3X I have is the Trojan T-28 and I don't really see any difference flying it except that the wind has way more effect. Bad habits I don't see happening. Getting lazy maybe. Instead of constantly correcting for the wind with the sticks, the As3x is doing some of the work.
There are guys it seems from some of these posts that don't like As3X and feel they are fighting it, and some refuse to fly this way. I hope I don't stir up a bunch of by writing this. Just had to give you my opinion.
Good luck with your new plane and good flights.
mIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Got my Babbelbat 180 hyperion 3s in the mail and gave it a try yesterday. Very nice, no shutoff problems. Of course it was about 15F here so that may have helped! Also, mine is a V1 that has been converted using the brick from my CC and new wing servos.

I have been using a 5043 prop. Should I prop down to the 5030 for 3s? I know it has been mentioned but forgive me for not remembering.

Also, I had hoped to use my HobbyKing Variable 65 charger but apparently it will not charge from the balance leads only. It gives a message, "Connection Break" when I try it. Does anyone else use this type charger? In the meantime, I have another charger that seems to work fine with only the balance tap, but it is fixed at 800mah charge rate. Is this too much for the hyperion 180?

Thanks in advance for you help.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
There are guys it seems from some of these posts that don't like As3X and feel they are fighting it, and some refuse to fly this way. I hope I don't stir up a bunch of by writing this. Just had to give you my opinion.
Good luck with your new plane and good flights.
mIke
I'm one of these who sometimes feels that AS3X fights me, on the CC, not the Beast 3D. I have put it down to the offset Ailerons on the Cub that are designed to induce into turn yaw, the gyro IMO senses this as wind and wrongly corrects it.

AS3X has its uses, like said it is very well suited to flying in windy conditions. Seeing as there is no way to turn off the gyros I'm thinking of fitting my Cub with regular (non offset) aileron servos.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
I forgot to mention in my last post. The rudder servo had become very sluggish. I opened the canopy section and sprayed the servo liberally with deoxit. It took some time working the servo back and forth but after a minute or so came right back to normal speed. Great stuff! (This was a brick from the original Carbon Cub batch)
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingair View Post
......Can a plane with the AS3X system cause any issues when flying non AS3X ?
in other words can it induce bad flying habits when flying non AS3X bigger 3d planes ?
Chasingair,

Not at all. In fact - quite the opposite. I fly everything from micros to 1/4-scale. AS3X actually helps, as it makes these planes behave much like 60-size or 1/4-scale ships, rather than twitchy little foamies that fly unrealistically. AS3X planes are great platforms for practicing your large-scale routine without having to go to the club field all the time, and without having to burn up gallons of glow-fuel or gasoline. As Mike noted - AS3X is not an autopilot. It is simply a 3-axis damping system that dampens movements in pitch, roll, and yaw that are not commanded by the pilot. It does not fly the plane at all. It simply makes them fly more realistically, and allows them to laugh at winds that would ground most giant-scale ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Got my Babbelbat 180 hyperion 3s in the mail and gave it a try yesterday. Very nice, no shutoff problems. Of course it was about 15F here so that may have helped! Also, mine is a V1 that has been converted using the brick from my CC and new wing servos.

I have been using a 5043 prop. Should I prop down to the 5030 for 3s? I know it has been mentioned but forgive me for not remembering.

Also, I had hoped to use my HobbyKing Variable 65 charger but apparently it will not charge from the balance leads only. It gives a message, "Connection Break" when I try it. Does anyone else use this type charger? In the meantime, I have another charger that seems to work fine with only the balance tap, but it is fixed at 800mah charge rate. Is this too much for the hyperion 180?

Thanks in advance for you help.
WSEN,

The Hyp 180s are designed for 5c charging with no reduction in performance or lifespan, so 800 mAh is fine. However, you can charge them the normal way with one of the 2s UMX charge-adapter cables. Use the UMX power plug part to gain access to the power leads & plug that into the charger's output port, be sure the 2s balance plug from the harness is not connected to anything, and then plug the pack's balance plug into your balance-board. That's how I charge my 3s Babbelbatts with my TP 820CD, which will not charge through the balance port.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
I forgot to mention in my last post. The rudder servo had become very sluggish. I opened the canopy section and sprayed the servo liberally with deoxit. It took some time working the servo back and forth but after a minute or so came right back to normal speed. Great stuff! (This was a brick from the original Carbon Cub batch)
I've had one of these for 2 weeks, had about 30 flights with it. It's very wet here and the grass never really dries at this time of the year so the wing servos get wet and one went kind of erratic the other day. Radio Shack ie The Source here in Vanc knows nothing of Deoxit, any ideas who else might have it? I used a bit of WD40 on a toothpick and that worked this time. Apart from that this plane is a lot of fun now I have it trimmed out. Fly with the wheels for general sport flying and take the wheels off for 3D.
JohnName: 240.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 167.9 KB
Description:
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepheus View Post
Radio Shack ie The Source here in Vanc knows nothing of Deoxit, any ideas who else might have it? I used a bit of WD40 on a toothpick and that worked this time. Apart from that this plane is a lot of fun now I have it trimmed out. Fly with the wheels for general sport flying and take the wheels off for 3D.
JohnAttachment 5313326
did some research for ya

found an old post-- might want to call first.

deoxit in vancouver
Deoxit Faderlube. its $18 or so at rpelectronics.com they are located in burnaby near willingdon and lougheed hwy just near brentwood mall.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
did some research for ya

deoxit in vancouver
Deoxit Faderlube. its $18 or so at rpelectronics.com they are located in burnaby near willingdon and lougheed hwy just near brentwood mall.
This is where to get it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS
Cheaper, no tax, no shipping, no driving and they send you candy too!!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
did some research for ya

deoxit in vancouver
Thanks for that, think I'll need it from now till next July!!!!!
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
This is where to get it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS
Cheaper, no tax, no shipping, no driving and they send you candy too!!
I thought of that too...

not sure about shipping price to canada-- free only in USA

website also indicates limited international shipping
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
I thought of that too...

not sure about shipping price to canada-- free only in USA

website also indicates limited international shipping
Oh... right... my lack of attention to detail showing up again. Kind of a bad thing for RC!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,598 Posts
About Sweetwater. The free shipping was great, the candy sweet, but really...I don't play an instrument anymore and the catalogs are a bit much. Interesting reading though. $45,000 for a sound board. They most likely don't have a clue that we are spraying this on little foamy planes.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
About Sweetwater. The free shipping was great, the candy sweet, but really...I don't play an instrument anymore and the catalogs are a bit much. Interesting reading though. $45,000 for a sound board. They most likely don't have a clue that we are spraying this on little foamy planes.
Mike
One guy does. He was very interested and intrigued with the alternative use for Deoxit. We talked about the hobby for a while when he called to see how the order went. (They call twice.) He is a techno-geek and enjoyed hearing about technology available to RC modelers these days, including gyros and FPV stuff.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
erkq:

Try Active Electronics in Vancouver. They carry a good range of electronic sprays for contact cleaning. Just MAKE sure that you ask whether any of these MAY dissolve foams. If you are unsure, please PM me. I am a chemist and can probably help with the contents for compatibility. FAI/Active may also be a good search. ANY good wholesale electronics store does carry these types of contact cleaners.

Another option is isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol, 90+%, sold as "rubbing" alcohol) for cleaning using a Qtip, and then add a drop of 3in1 or similar light-weight oil and wipe with a Qtip as well. I've done this on my micro champ servos, and these products work very well too, and are foam safe.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!