HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
I feel just the opposite about the B3D & S3D. I feel completely comfortable flying the B3D right down on the deck - even in 20+ MPH winds. It is nearly as predictable as sunrise. But I don't trust the S3D down low when it's windy, nor do I trust it down low when hanging it on the prop. At least not yet. The other day, I was out with the S3D in a 20+ MPH wind trying to do stationary aerobatics - like I do with the Beast. I didn't get any warm fuzzies at all. I thought it was more nerve-wracking than fun. In contrast, I am usually chucking all the way back to the pits after a good wind-surfing session with the B3D, and I find it actually relaxing to fly it in winds that are 3 times its stall-speed.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:36 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,950 Posts
I feel the same. I'll KE the B3D a foot off the deck in calm conditions, I can barely fly the S3D in KE. The B3D is a pussy cat to me, the SBach is a very quick speed demon with an insane roll rate. I can't see how someone that thinks the beast is too advanced will be able to fly the SBach. I told my beginner friend just recently, "don't even think about the SBach until you are very comfortable with your beast."

These are two VERY different airplane in my opinion. I suspect that's what Horizon Hobby was intending.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:13 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
I agree with the comparisons ... until you put the Side Force Generators on the S3D. They sure change the flight characteristics a LOT on the Sbach, almost two different planes. Makes it a lot tamer down low, in high alpha and helps make the FALL OUT OF HOVER a lot easier to recover from. Slows the role rate down a ton, but speed stays the same. KE is of course WAY better.

Give them a try and see what you think folks. Very surprising to me how much impact that had. (I've never flown a plane without and then with SFG's, this was a learning experience for me.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:33 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
I agree with the comparisons ... until you put the Side Force Generators on the S3D. They sure change the flight characteristics a LOT on the Sbach, almost two different planes. Makes it a lot tamer down low, in high alpha and helps make the FALL OUT OF HOVER a lot easier to recover from. Slows the role rate down a ton, but speed stays the same. KE is of course WAY better.

Give them a try and see what you think folks. Very surprising to me how much impact that had. (I've never flown a plane without and then with SFG's, this was a learning experience for me.

Marlin
I had the SFGs on for exactly one flight and then the grass landing ripped one off. Never got the feel for the SFGs in that one flight, don't want to bother with them, they seem to fragile to be practical, especially flying off grass fields.

I tamed the roll rate down with DR/EXPO but I still think S3D needs more pitch authority, but then again this is the Beast's thread..... so never mind
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:03 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I had the SFGs on for exactly one flight and then the grass landing ripped one off. Never got the feel for the SFGs in that one flight, don't want to bother with them, they seem to fragile to be practical, especially flying off grass fields.

I tamed the roll rate down with DR/EXPO but I still think S3D needs more pitch authority, but then again this is the Beast's thread..... so never mind
LOL, you are correct, my appologies, still like my B3D better in many ways than the S3D. Just found they were more alike with the SFG's on. NO WAY though I would fly it in grass with them on, that would be a total pain.

Still can't beat the shear COOL factor of the Beast. It just looks so nice, has a presence, and is a totaly beauty to fly. Sorry for the OT post.

Marlin
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,653 Posts
Would anybody recommend this if i can fly a champ,corsair and high speed 4ch depron scratch build?
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:15 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87 View Post
Would anybody recommend this if i can fly a champ,corsair and high speed 4ch depron scratch build?
I would. If you've flow ailerons, and want to get into higher performance acrobatics and 3D, the beast is a great option.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:18 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
I would. If you've flow ailerons, and want to get into higher performance acrobatics and 3D, the beast is a great option.
Would i still be able to just cruise low and slow?
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
The short answer is yes. When flying slow, in my experience, you really need to be a good pilot using coordinated rudder and aileron with the beast. at higher speed its more tolerant of aileron only turns.

I've never flown the corsair, but I suspect it's similar in speed from watching other fly that one.

At high alpha, you can [almost] hover but there's a skill involved flying with attitude! What was your homemade depron bird like? Those are usually symmetric wing high alpha flyers...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
As Scott noted - it depends entirely upon your skill. If you're good with the rudder, and if you understand that the elevator controls airspeed, while the throttle controls altitude - you'll have no trouble flying the Beast 3D low & slow. When properly set up, it can out-slow-fly a Champ!

Flying the Beast 3D at our indoor spot:

Having fun with the Beast 3D indoors (13 min 40 sec)

Low & slow in my yard on 3s:

UMX Beast 3D on 3s - having some fun in the yard - HD (3 min 54 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
As Scott noted - it depends entirely upon your skill. If you're good with the rudder, and if you understand that the elevator controls airspeed, while the throttle controls altitude - you'll have no trouble flying the Beast 3D low & slow. When properly set up, it can out-slow-fly a Champ!

Flying the Beast 3D at our indoor spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfEQ57y5f4

Low & slow in my yard on 3s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeD2O_v06k

Joel
Did you know --- the new little SBach on really good batteries , can fly the FAI pattern maneuvers - very well?
We think this model is the best of the AS3X stuff so far .- had all the others .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Did you know --- the new little SBach on really good batteries , can fly the FAI pattern maneuvers - very well?
We think this model is the best of the AS3X stuff so far .- had all the others .
Yes. I own two Sbach 3Ds, so I am aware of what the plane can do. As I have said since the V1 first came out - the Sbach is a great pattern plane. However, 'best' is a purely subjective term in this situation. BTW - who is the "we"?

I have hundreds of hours of stick-time on all of the AS3X-equipped UMX planes aside from the HT. Along with my two Sbach 3Ds, I have two Beast 3Ds, two Carbon Cubs, one Gee Bee, and one MiG 15. They're totally different airframes that are designed for completely different tasks. Each has its purpose, so I would never say that one is the absolute best. That would be like saying a socket wrench is somehow better than all of the other tools in the toolbox.

However, the question was about flying low & slow, which is pretty much the polar opposite of pattern flying. I strongly prefer the Beast 3D over the Sbach 3D for flying low & slow, but the Carbon Cub is by far my favorite UMX plane for that style of flying. Again - this is highly subjective.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
However, the question was about flying low & slow, which is pretty much the polar opposite of pattern flying. I strongly prefer the Beast 3D over the Sbach 3D for flying low & slow, but the Carbon Cub is by far my favorite UMX plane for that style of flying. Again - this is highly subjective.

Joel
+1

Spot on.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
I agree with Joel, much depends on how you fly, but the Beast 3D is VERY capable of low, slow, high alpha flight, in fact it is excellent for that. It will also cruise in normal flight fairly slowly, and I find it quite tame to fly.

Old video, but it shows the Beast 3D in low, slow, high alpha flight is a dream.

Marlin

UMX Beast 3D High Alpha Flying (5 min 43 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:22 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Not mine. Leave it up to Vrflyer to figure this stuff out. Awesome work:

Micro FPV Beast no3 (4 min 12 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress