SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I vote FoamTac. I really like the tightness of the bond and the flexibility. My Beast kept breaking right next to the last repair. Seems like the CA makes the foam brittle, the joint certainly is brittle. Also, the CA joint I can see as when I shoot kicker on it it makes a small ridge. The FoamTac is pretty much invisible if it is a clean break.
I'm waiting on wings for my Beast and hoping the wing kit comes with control horns as the replacement horn sent my by HH is crazy huge. It's so big the control rod doesn't fit and I have it taped on. Scary looking, but it flys.
Mike
If not, maybe look at Dubro micro horns, pretty tiny little things. Should work ok.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
I'm going to have to rebuild the wings with a new set. Anyone have some advice? I have foam safe CA and FoamTac. Is there any particular order I should build. Looks a bit advanced with the wing struts and all. I have rebuild a few helicopters so this should be a piece of cake, but if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,668 Posts
I broke the upper wing loose from the centre strut and broke both outer struts in two plus some guy wires. I used hotglue discreetly as you only need the tinyest beads. Flies the same as it did before.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Ya...done that a bunch of times, but now I've ripped out a control horn and lost it. Got so many glue joints that I have to re-glue the glue joints. Wings have been snapped, pulverized, bent, creased, holes ripped in them. The flight weight is 5 grams more than it was new from all the repairs. My Beast seems to have a death wish compared to my other planes. I'm not going to let it go that easy though. I've found the only set of replacement wings in the U.S. I believe at the moment and I'm going to get my Beast back to good flight shape.
I do need some advice on the rebuild though if anyone has done it and I know you have.
Mike
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:19 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,668 Posts
I make even the smallest control horns for my small foamys out of 1/32 aircraft ply. You can make any shape and size you want. Held on, there again, with a touch of hot glue.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, OH, Zanesville
Joined Sep 2012
219 Posts
Big breeze=little Beast

Beast 3-D in Big Gusts (5 min 3 sec)
Skyepuncher is offline Find More Posts by Skyepuncher
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
rebuild advice for shastamike.........

--rebuild takes some time--but not very hard overall.
--I used regular ca for carbon to plastic--speedier
--I did not use foamtac--I could have used foam tac for main wing to fuselage I suppose---but, beside that foamtac takes so long to dry.
--I used foamsafe ca for foam use--and acclerator
--I reused some of the carbon rods and plastic parts from my old wing to put on the new plane--this way I had to glue less parts.

--the foam interplane struts are weak--so when gluing only very light pressure between your fingers--or will snap.

--the length of the carbon rods that connect the ailerons (top and bottom) is important and adjustable.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
I found it easier to mount the top wing first. Flytrim has everything else covered
kvnmcc is offline Find More Posts by kvnmcc
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice flyrtim and kvnmcc. Read and understood. I know I'll get it done correctly. Really nice to collect advice and cut down on the possibility of mistakes.
Mike
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
how to do knife edge loops ?

from what I undertand this manouver is easier with beast3d then my converted as3x sbach.
I cannot figure out how to do it on either plane.

my beast3d does 50-60% of circle but then can't make it back up--loses too much altitude --even if I start really high. Not a question of power since I have on 2300motor with 5043 prop and have tried with hyperion 240 and nanotech 260. My beast3d will fly straight up for a long time. Perhaps battery needs to be really really far back? For control input not much is needed besides full throttle and lots of rudder deflection, correct? I have rudder on innermost hole.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Flyrtim,

Sounds like it's nose-heavy. The B3D does great KE loops when the CG is at the neutral point - but they take pretty much all she's got on 2s - even with the 2300/5043 & a good pack. However, the Sbach w/SFGs can easily do square KE loops at part-throttle. A forward CG will make KE loops difficult to impossible with the Beast. Make sure that the CG is at the neutral point or slightly aft. Do the roll to KE or inverted flight test to check. When the CG is at the sweet-spot, the plane should not pull toward the canopy or tuck toward the belly during a sustained KE pass, when first trimmed for level flight. When rolled inverted, just barely a hint of down-elevator should be required to sustain level flight.

With the rudder set for max throw, you should have no trouble doing a KE loop once you get the CG right (unless you have a rudder linkage geometry or flex issue). A bit of aileron correction may be needed when you go over the top & again when you come out of the bottom & back to level KE flight. Other than that, there should be little, if any roll-coupling during the maneuver. With the CG at the sweet-spot, there should be no pitch-coupling.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,622 Posts
It's been a good year with my trusty beast 3D. This morning a stuck elevator drove her straight into the hard pack dirt. Just obliterated. She can't take anymore glue and repairs, she's done. Now the questions is re-build or re-buy. I love the beast so going without is not an option.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:09 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Hey Tim,

Giant KE loop addict here...
Love em!

Massive amounts of power is key.
3S powered B3D is the tool.
Get totally comfortable in KE flight.
Get that CG back a little.
A 90% left stick maneuver with AS3X on board.
It's all about rudder and power.
Practice coming out of a hammerhead in knife at the bottom.
Three mistakes high.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
It's been a good year with my trusty beast 3D. This morning a stuck elevator drove her straight into the hard pack dirt. Just obliterated. She can't take anymore glue and repairs, she's done. Now the questions is re-build or re-buy. I love the beast so going without is not an option.
Bummer! Sorry to hear about that. I suggest that you buy a new Beast & salvage the useable parts from the other one to use as spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Giant KE loop addict here...
Love em!

rc
RC,

Yeah, the ability to do KE loops at half-throttle is pure Beast-crack! Once you try it, there is no going back!

Hundreds of 3s flights - many in winds that would ground most giant-scale ships. Thousands of balls-to-the-wall passes, power-climbs, 'drill-bit maneuvers', power-climbs and big-air maneuvers. Thousands of KE loops, spins, and snaps. Staggering peak G-loads, repeated over & over & over again. Not a single sign of structural overload, nor a single case of aerodynamic flutter.

I am reluctant to say this. I've been holding off....hoping that something will change as I get more stick-time on the plane. As much as I enjoy flying the S3D, the B3D is still by far my favorite. It simply does so many things so well.

I think the Beast may be as close to being a perfect design as an aircraft can get. It has absolutely zero bad habits, the only limit to its aerobatic capability is the pilot, it handles 300W/pound with ease, and it withstands repetitive peak G-loads that would literally shred lesser planes in a matter of milliseconds. The bar has been set very, very high...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:04 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hundreds of 3s flights - many in winds that would ground most giant-scale ships. Thousands of balls-to-the-wall passes, power-climbs, 'drill-bit maneuvers', power-climbs and big-air maneuvers. Thousands of KE loops, spins, and snaps. Staggering peak G-loads, repeated over & over & over again. Not a single sign of structural overload, nor a single case of aerodynamic flutter.

I am reluctant to say this. I've been holding off....hoping that something will change as I get more stick-time on the plane. As much as I enjoy flying the S3D, the B3D is still by far my favorite. It simply does so many things so well.

I think the Beast may be as close to being a perfect design as an aircraft can get. It has absolutely zero bad habits, the only limit to its aerobatic capability is the pilot, it handles 300W/pound with ease, and it withstands repetitive peak G-loads that would literally shred lesser planes in a matter of milliseconds. The bar has been set very, very high...

Joel
I agree. And I REALLY liked the Sbach. They are both great but the B3D is just perfect for my yard. Limitless power, high lift, the ability to fly slow on the wing, no coupling, wind handling, stability, this is quite a long list!

The only thing the S3D has on it is speed. For IMAC style flight the S3D might have an edge with the clean airframe and nice round loops, but other than that the B3D is just amazing.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon