HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,621 Posts
4 point rolls 6 feet off the deck, KE down to 12 inches. Blew into a tree, had to throw rocks at it to get it free. Saturday it was a stuck elevator on hand launch, goes up 10 feet, no control, cut power nose dives to the dirt. I've got a half tube of welders in it by now. I fly it really risky now as it pretty beat up now after a couple hundred flights. I baby my V1 beast as its not replaceable. And I take no risks with my new AS3X SBach.

Bottom line though is the beast is so stable it inspires the confidence to do things you really should be.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
4 point rolls 6 feet off the deck, KE down to 12 inches. Blew into a tree, had to throw rocks at it to get it free. Saturday it was a stuck elevator on hand launch, goes up 10 feet, no control, cut power nose dives to the dirt. I've got a half tube of welders in it by now. I fly it really risky now as it pretty beat up now after a couple hundred flights. I baby my V1 beast as its not replaceable. And I take no risks with my new AS3X SBach.

Bottom line though is the beast is so stable it inspires the confidence to do things you really should be.
Doesn't Welders melt foam????

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Melts Depron, for one.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Last edited by stuball56; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Tree hopping...

Well, phooey!

I flew three times tonight, a 20km/h to 30 km/h wind, and here I go saying about bailing, and what do you know? My plane ended up on the last flight in a tree!

As luck would have it, a grade 4 girl just yelled "I'll get it" and shimmied up the small tree (almost bordline for my weight, and the plane was too high to grab it). She carefully picked it up, and oriented it for a hand launch, and bingo! I was up and flared for final 30 feet away...

What was ironic is that only one of my Carbon fiber wing wires came off the wing on one side. Some CA and I was good.

Not a ding, nick or scratch anywhere on the plane except for the wires. (C-rods)

They came off with material, so held firm to the wing when CA'd.

Sweet!

I'll be getting that little angel a BIG candy bar or something for doing that!

Darren
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Doesn't Welders melt foam????

-Brian
Opps, I got my adhesives mixed up My beast is full of Foam Tac, my EPP planes are full of welders.

Yes you are correct welders only works for EPP.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I got mine today. One of the struts on the tail came unglued during shipping, and also one of the wheel pants is almost off, and the tail itself seems a bit off kilter. I can't imagine these wheel pants staying on for more than 5 minutes, lol. I knew it was a micro, but still was suprised at how small and lite it is. Can't imaging this in the wind, lol. So, I will be spending the evening going over the manual and the plane, getting it ready for maiden. I also got myself a Blade Nano Cpx, and a DX6i, so I have alot of reading to do.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
hI ALL.
I whait my umx beast come back from HH (problem with no signal or ,I think, esc problem).
Now I ask you wich battery is the beast for long flight with the umx beast 3d?(without create problems with besc or motor)
Not for 3d, only flight or basic acrobatics manouvers (I'm not a beginner but similar... )
Thx
all
p.s:I Fly with parkmaster 3d , simulator, ms composit flywing and mcpx v2 copter (not 3d flight)
artesina is offline Find More Posts by artesina
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:13 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
IMO, the 260mAh Turnigy Nanotechs are winners in my plane! I can do both the 3D, but mostly do general sport flying and aerobatics with mine. I can fly for up to 9 minutes plus with the stock prop and power system using these cells.

Highly recommended!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I had a 60 second maiden. It was way too windy. I knew that, but I said " what the heck". Took off, was immediately impressed. Flew a couple circles, lost it in the sun, let go of the sticks and got it back! Then it was a bit far away and I had trouble with orientation, ended up cutting the throttle about 5' off the ground, small crash, no damage! Not bad, not bad at all. I am very inexperienced flyer.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
IMO, the 260mAh Turnigy Nanotechs are winners in my plane! I can do both the 3D, but mostly do general sport flying and aerobatics with mine. I can fly for up to 9 minutes plus with the stock prop and power system using these cells.

Highly recommended!

SkyCadet
i just ordered 6 of these and the charger harness to charge all of them at the same time. been almost 3 weeks from HK ...cant wait.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I cracked her up bad today. I wanted to fly, it was a little windy, but not bad. I made sure I took off into the wind. Problem was, I also took off directly into the sun. DOH! lost it and nose dived it into the concrete. Bing! Bang! Boom!. Front end busted off, motor hanging on by a wire, literaly. Hatch cover broke too. Wing broke at the fuse, and various struts unglued. I do believe that I may be able to repair it to fly again though. We will see. working on it now. Can Gorilla glue be used on this foam? CA activator?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I cracked her up bad today. I wanted to fly, it was a little windy, but not bad. I made sure I took off into the wind. Problem was, I also took off directly into the sun. DOH! lost it and nose dived it into the concrete. Bing! Bang! Boom!. Front end busted off, motor hanging on by a wire, literaly. Hatch cover broke too. Wing broke at the fuse, and various struts unglued. I do believe that I may be able to repair it to fly again though. We will see. working on it now. Can Gorilla glue be used on this foam? CA activator?
Oof! Sorry! That darned sun has gotten me too.
People seem to like FoamTac best, for major repairs especially.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Well, phooey!

I flew three times tonight, a 20km/h to 30 km/h wind, and here I go saying about bailing, and what do you know? My plane ended up on the last flight in a tree!

As luck would have it, a grade 4 girl just yelled "I'll get it" and shimmied up the small tree (almost bordline for my weight, and the plane was too high to grab it). She carefully picked it up, and oriented it for a hand launch, and bingo! I was up and flared for final 30 feet away...

What was ironic is that only one of my Carbon fiber wing wires came off the wing on one side. Some CA and I was good.

Not a ding, nick or scratch anywhere on the plane except for the wires. (C-rods)

They came off with material, so held firm to the wing when CA'd.

Sweet!

I'll be getting that little angel a BIG candy bar or something for doing that!

Darren
LOL, had an interesting time trying to fly today as well, those winds sure were up in this neck of the woods Darren! My little SBach3D was moving backwards on the ground at less than 1/3 throttle! Got it up, got it down, put it away, just too turbulant today, even with these little AS3X marvels.

Sure hope tomorrow is better.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:11 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Foam tac is the best in my opinion.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
Quote:

Highly recommended!

SkyCadet
the 260 mah battery you can easily insert the beast? need to change something? (I would not void my warranty)
Thx
artesina is offline Find More Posts by artesina