SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Wheels and stuff...

I use Dubro 123 sport micro wheels on mine, and these cut through grass very well. The challenge is to get the wheels to soft land without bouncing too much, since the struts are pretty springy...

Some of you folks must really be flying the envelope to be bailing you poor little beasties! Other than one nose in on hand launch 2 months ago, and my mid-air wing clipping mishap a few weeks ago, I've flown pretty much sport aero the last dozen times or more, and no dings.

What are you guys doing to bail your planes? Just so I can avoid it if possible...

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:30 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
"Bail your plane"? that is Canadian for crash? lol Getting my Beastie Friday according to Big Brown.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
I use Dubro 123 sport micro wheels on mine, and these cut through grass very well. The challenge is to get the wheels to soft land without bouncing too much, since the struts are pretty springy...

Some of you folks must really be flying the envelope to be bailing you poor little beasties! Other than one nose in on hand launch 2 months ago, and my mid-air wing clipping mishap a few weeks ago, I've flown pretty much sport aero the last dozen times or more, and no dings.

What are you guys doing to bail your planes? Just so I can avoid it if possible...

SkyCadet
Well...my problem seems to be flying too many batteries too close to the ground, a bit too windy and only 6 mos. experience. Mostly too close to the ground. Seems like as soon as I get within 10ft the Beast just dives. Kind of think it has a death wish, but a little glue and tape and off we go again. Definetly getting a wing rebuild as soon as I can get a wing kit. Been waiting 3 wks on that one.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Are you thinking those wheels with or without the wheel pants?
Haven't had much luck with wheel pants the way I fly. I know that I can get tougher ones at ICU"s Shapeways. I just not a modeling guy, more into flying then looking at my shiny plane. That will probably change.
Mike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:57 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:

SkyCadet
Let's see ... attempting a HOVER at 6 feet off the ground and loosing it to the inverted side, stall, no recovering room! (Bad decision, bad thumbs) Flying it too far away in VERY strong winds on a gloomy evening, loss of orientation in a hammer head, again, too low, slam into a garage door! (Bad decision, bad thumbs, bad eyes!) Flying EXTREMELY windy conditions on a street surrounded by houses, sudden down draft trying to land slamming it into the pavement. (Extremely bad decision!)

I know there was another crash in there somewhere, just can't recall. In any event, most of it comes from flying it right on the edge in 3D type maneuvers over pavement, on a narrow street, and just not quite having the skills to deal with the unpredictable winds.

Fortunately, the plane takes well to foam safe CA and I am usually flying within minutes of the crash. Was thinking about getting a new one today but the LHS (Hobby Alley) actually has the Sbach 3D in, so that came home instead! LOL

All good, still love the Beast 3D ..

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:43 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:

SkyCadet
I'm a firm believer that if you don't crash, you're not trying hard enough! Plus, you need something to do anyway, for those rainy days.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:28 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
Flying to close to the edge here too. but thats part of the challenge. I noticed that the controls seemed to be a little mushier than when I first started flying it. The loops weren't as tight as usual, etc. I took hold of the horn and moved the control back and forth and found the horn was not tight in the surface. Getting a little movement where it attaches. The foam was losing its stiffness around the horn. Being a hot glue fan, I put the tiniest bead from the horn towards the back of the control surface to stiffen it up and attach it a little tighter. Noticeably more solid flying. I'm sure thick foamsafe CA would do the job as well as the other glues. Just give it a bend test.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Flying to close to the edge here too. but thats part of the challenge. I noticed that the controls seemed to be a little mushier than when I first started flying it. The loops weren't as tight as usual, etc. I took hold of the horn and moved the control back and forth and found the horn was not tight in the surface. Getting a little movement where it attaches. The foam was losing its stiffness around the horn. Being a hot glue fan, I put the tiniest bead from the horn towards the back of the control surface to stiffen it up and attach it a little tighter. Noticeably more solid flying. I'm sure thick foamsafe CA would do the job as well as the other glues. Just give it a bend test.

Gord.
Tried the CA it is too brittle, I use canopy glue around horns and foam tac on rips and tears both stay flexible.
Wing wagging on mine went away with new balanced prop!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Flew my Beast around today and got to thinking, "did I remember to put new tape on the temp control horn"? I have a temp control horn until I get my wing kit. The control rod won't connect as the temp horn is way big. I've been putting tape on it to hold the control rod in place.
Brought the Beast in nicely after many loops and rolls, trimmed out nicely. Checked and there was nothing holding the control rod to the horn! Flying with only one aileron! The roll rate was a bit slow, but The Beast still flew well. Guess I'm getting used to the beat up wings and lack of correct parts.
Mike
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:47 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
I guess so!!!

Here in the prairies of Canada, everything seemingly has "bail" associated with it!

SC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Mike,

When you say too many batts too close to ground, do you mean that your plane is nose-heavy? I usually fly higher up, but have done many an inverted flight 1-2m off the deck...
I have its big daddy, my Pitts 12 15e, so I am used to that kind of thing (but never fly my Pitts below 2m unless landing

One thing I did right off when the plane was new 2 months ago was to practice power off glides to see how nose-heavy the plane would be before getting closer to the ground. Now, I have her balanced just sweet, and she flies superbly. Practice does make perfect, though!!!!

Cheers - stay warm! 4th coldest October up here on record! Bring on da global warming!

SC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
That'll do it Marlin!

I have a field just behind our complex that's near-ideal for sub 2lb. planes. Easy to get good air and manoeuvering room...

PM me a vid link when you get one of the SBach!

Darren
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
That'll do it Marlin!

I have a field just behind our complex that's near-ideal for sub 2lb. planes. Easy to get good air and manoeuvering room...

PM me a vid link when you get one of the SBach!

Darren
Will do when I get home, it's up on my YouTube Channel, justlostagain. Link in the SBach3D thread as well.

Oct sure has been cold but on the bright side, we could be in Calgary with all the SNOW to go with it! HEHEHEHE ... my brother is down there, LOVE rubbing that in.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Thanks Marlin!

I'll check it out...

Cheers and stay warm!

Darren
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

When you say too many batts too close to ground, do you mean that your plane is nose-heavy? I usually fly higher up, but have done many an inverted flight 1-2m off the deck...
I have its big daddy, my Pitts 12 15e, so I am used to that kind of thing (but never fly my Pitts below 2m unless landing

One thing I did right off when the plane was new 2 months ago was to practice power off glides to see how nose-heavy the plane would be before getting closer to the ground. Now, I have her balanced just sweet, and she flies superbly. Practice does make perfect, though!!!!

Cheers - stay warm! 4th coldest October up here on record! Bring on da global warming!

SC
Sorry...I meant I've flown too much time (batteries) at too low and altitude. Today I finally smacked my Sbach into the ground trying to do flat spins.
BTW...I live in a ski town and we are very excited to get our first snow this week. Bring on da ice age!
Mike