Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Marlin,

How's it going? Like you, I also enjoy flying the Beast in the winter. I live on a dead-end road near the cul-de-sac, so there's essentially no traffic. I use the street for a runway & fly over my yard. It's so convenient to be able to just walk outside & fly! Back when I was a kid, I used to dream about being able to do that. And now we can do it with a scale unlimited aerobatic ship that can fly in winds that would ground many large-scale planes!
Joel
Hey Joel, good to hear from you! Love the way technology has advanced so far in just a short time. When I was a kid I dreamed of flying RC planes but they were WAY out of reach price wise except for control line planes. (Those were fun!) Now like you say we have this Ultra Micros that are technological WONDERS! The Beast 3D, Stryker, Mig 15 DF and now the 1 cell, AS3X equipped Spitfire for $100 bind and fly! WOW! On top of that we have the mCPX and Nano CPX helis, and that little 130 X from Blade ... just amazing.

Makes me glad I get to be a kid again now that I am almost 50! LOL!

Talk to you later,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
I agree Marlin!

I've been doing this for around 3-4 years now, and even the micros have come along in quantum leaps with features like AS3X, and some of the advanced heli features I have seen in those micros as well. Just awesome!

The only thing that worries me is if we ever get to "ultra-nano" sized RC where the craft is the size of a wasp!

With full FPV capability, James Bond, look out! Lol.

...and I'll need a microscope to change out batteries!

Darren
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Hey Joel, good to hear from you! Love the way technology has advanced so far in just a short time. When I was a kid I dreamed of flying RC planes but they were WAY out of reach price wise except for control line planes. (Those were fun!) Now like you say we have this Ultra Micros that are technological WONDERS! The Beast 3D, Stryker, Mig 15 DF and now the 1 cell, AS3X equipped Spitfire for $100 bind and fly! WOW! On top of that we have the mCPX and Nano CPX helis, and that little 130 X from Blade ... just amazing.

Makes me glad I get to be a kid again now that I am almost 50! LOL!

Talk to you later,

Marlin
I'll have to post a copy of the first note I wrote Santa. It had a "remote controlled plane" on it! I think I was in kindergarten.

Yeah... I started in RC in the late 70's when I was old enough to earn some money... because it took money! The Kraft Sport 4 channel system I had cost $250 used. But it was good stuff even 35 years ago... reliable, proportional, sick power to weight ratio. My 7 pound Bridi Kaos had a 3hp Webra on it!

But this is Nirvana. No more oil to clean up. No more fuel. Tiny stuff I can fly at home.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
I agree Marlin!

I've been doing this for around 3-4 years now, and even the micros have come along in quantum leaps with features like AS3X, and some of the advanced heli features I have seen in those micros as well. Just awesome!

The only thing that worries me is if we ever get to "ultra-nano" sized RC where the craft is the size of a wasp!

Darren
LOL, and GOGGLE GLASSES to fly them, as the old eyes aren't what they once were. Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'll have to post a copy of the first note I wrote Santa. It had a "remote controlled plane" on it! I think I was in kindergarten.

Yeah... I started in RC in the late 70's when I was old enough to earn some money... because it took money! The Kraft Sport 4 channel system I had cost $250 used. But it was good stuff even 35 years ago... reliable, proportional, sick power to weight ratio. My 7 pound Bridi Kaos had a 3hp Webra on it!

But this is Nirvana. No more oil to clean up. No more fuel. Tiny stuff I can fly at home.
I hear you! Just the advances in battery technology in the past 10 years are amazing. Think where we will be in 10 more, as we move towards better, more efficient and lighter batteries for things like the automotive industry and cleaner fuel options. Going to be an amazing time for this hobby!

M
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, OH, Zanesville
Joined Sep 2012
219 Posts
Cams

I know this is a little off topic, but can someone please provide a link
for a decent hat/key cam? I just received a brand new one today, in
hopes of vidding My B3d, & It does not work AT ALL. Won`t even
turn on. Highly disgusted, to say the least.
Scott
Skyepuncher is offline Find More Posts by Skyepuncher
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyepuncher View Post
I know this is a little off topic, but can someone please provide a link
for a decent hat/key cam? I just received a brand new one today, in
hopes of vidding My B3d, & It does not work AT ALL. Won`t even
turn on. Highly disgusted, to say the least.
Scott
Everything you want to know about keychains:
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

I buy mine from Elatoponline (or something like that, it's on the suggested seller list in the link above), on Ebay.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,563 Posts
Quote:
I agree Marlin!

Darren
SC,

The future of RC looks very promising.
This bird blows my mind!
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/18/d...-flight-video/

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Sep 2012
219 Posts
Thanx, but I don`t have time to read thru all that. ( I saved it) . Just
need a link to a reliable seller. The one I just got,,,,,,,,,,charge lite
comes on red when connected to USB, but won`t do anything else.
Tried the reset, & other stuff. Just plain does not work I sent a note to the
seller. We`ll see how it goes. I`ve had 2 before, identical, so I know how
to work it. This one has a diff size plug tho. It`s smaller. All else is
the same in appearance. #18 on the bottom. Thanx for all the tips.
Scott

Edit: Again, thanx for the tips/links, etc. Sending the cam back. New one enroute,
Scott. Happy Flying
Last edited by Skyepuncher; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:07 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
B3D versus "THE RAVEN" :eek:

See below, I had a mishap on my original formatting - sorry gang!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Oct 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
B3D versus "THE RAVEN"!!!

Wow!

My Beasty is getting to be a threat to all who comes near her!

Tonight, it was about 8 degrees C, and I had some wind (12-15km/h) when taking the beast for four flights. The first one was interesting, as my title mentioned... I had six elementary kids of ages 6-9 come by and watch me fly (and had the usual "can I try it?" comments).

When doing a mini airshow, I noticed a raven start to follow my plane. I made some gentle turns, a few tighter ones, too. The raven was just not giving up!
So, when it got to just within its own body length away, on the verge of trying to attack, the beast unveiled its fury!!!

A quick reversal, WOT, and the raven almost stalled in its tracks! I chased that sucker for 30s and he just couldn't hide - the beast was locked on for the kill!

Finally, I let him go, but this plane at 95% throws is just soooo manoeuverable! The Raven could not outfly this plane no matter how hard he tried. It was a fine finish to my airshow, and the kids just loved it!!!

Five superb landings, some great aerobatics, and all of them with 8.5 min/flight, with about 15-20% of the usuable battery still available. I love these TNT 260s in here...

NO ONE messes with The Beast! ...No ...one.

SC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Oct 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
219 Posts
Ha! That`s awesome. I`ve had some bird issues in the past as well.
Cool story. Wish I coulda seen it.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,627 Posts
TOO FUNNY! I often get in "dog fights" with sea gulls at the parks where I fly the little micros! They sure do SCREECH when you start to chase them back .... LOL

Glad to see the Beast is still wearing the championship belt! Happy flying!

Marlin
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Hah ha!

Yeah, it was a great time. I wish I had a video cam, because that was one great scene!

If I see the kids again, I'll have to check with them!

My Super Decathlon is an honorary segull

Seriously, about a month ago there was a congregation of over 300 of them. I was flying along at slow cruise, within the flock and had about a dozen or so follow me around the main group for about 8 minutes! It was too cool...

That raven, though, I am sure was ready to take a bite outta my beast! He sure will think twice next time...

Cheers lads! Good flying to you.

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Wow!

My Beasty is getting to be a threat to all who comes near her!

Tonight, it was about 8 degrees C, and I had some wind (12-15km/h) when taking the beast for four flights. The first one was interesting, as my title mentioned... I had six elementary kids of ages 6-9 come by and watch me fly (and had the usual "can I try it?" comments).

When doing a mini airshow, I noticed a raven start to follow my plane. I made some gentle turns, a few tighter ones, too. The raven was just not giving up!
So, when it got to just within its own body length away, on the verge of trying to attack, the beast unveiled its fury!!!

A quick reversal, WOT, and the raven almost stalled in its tracks! I chased that sucker for 30s and he just couldn't hide - the beast was locked on for the kill!

Finally, I let him go, but this plane at 95% throws is just soooo manoeuverable! The Raven could not outfly this plane no matter how hard he tried. It was a fine finish to my airshow, and the kids just loved it!!!

Five superb landings, some great aerobatics, and all of them with 8.5 min/flight, with about 15-20% of the usuable battery still available. I love these TNT 260s in here...

NO ONE messes with The Beast! ...No ...one.

SC
Damm..that is one shiny Beast plane. Even the spinner is shiny. How do you do that? I wouldn't post a picture of mine these days. This winter I"m going to overhaul and put new wings on.
About the wheels. Those look like Dubro sport wheels about 1.25 in? I just ordered some.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Hi Mike!

Yeah, those are Dubro 123s on there, and the 1/2" MTW on the rear. Better ground clearance and handling in grass and dirt, too!

Shiny plane is due to a light coat of diluted 50% white glue as a strengthening agent and drag reduction coating. ALL surfaces, except the movable hinges are coated: Wings upper lower surfaces, tail, fuselage, struts (the inter wing spacer struts and spinner).

I've been coating my micros for the past two years, and it really toughens them up without adding too much extra weight. My Beast had a mid-air a couple of weeks ago with a friend's micro champ (also coated) and neither plane had much damage at all. My plane was scuffed on the top right, and had a small sliver of a crack in the leading edge of the wing. His had a small dint in the leading edge. I am pretty certain that having not done this prior would have resulted in pretty serious compressive strain and deformation of both wings of ours, or even sheared off completely...

FYI, the Durbo 1/2" MTWs (micro tail wheels) fit on the rear perfectly, and the hubs they come with can be drilled into with a 1/16" bit and dremmel to thread onto the existing mains wires to replace the faux pants' threaded hub holders. I used tubing from air-dust spray cut to fit as inner shim/spacers for the mains wheels to keep them tracking well.

My plane is still fairly new - only about 6 weeks old, and only about 25 flights on her so far, including a skidding landing, a couple of early landing flipovers in grass/dirt, the mid-air, and ONE nose over dive at near WOT during an accidental aileron lockup during my third flight onto hard dirt. I changed out the spinner afterwards, but the only damage on that one was a dinted spinner (that split) and a small ding on the upper battery cover.

Tough little plane this is!

Cheers,

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:10 AM.