HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Brian.
With the power off i can wind the motor up and down with no problems and with the power on there is slight resistance from the motor so im guessing everthing is fine there..Is this problem with the elevator common or am i the lucky person have it hehe..
eddiekenny is offline Find More Posts by eddiekenny
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekenny View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Brian.
With the power off i can wind the motor up and down with no problems and with the power on there is slight resistance from the motor so im guessing everthing is fine there..Is this problem with the elevator common or am i the lucky person have it hehe..
Slight resistance? With the power on you should not be able to roll the gear more than one turn before it tries to recenter.

There was one batch of questionable boards problems with servos locking up and bricks overheating. Check all the solder connections, My guess is they used to much and connected the motor wire to the resistor that is < 1mm away from the pad.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I received 2 Beasts from the bad batch. 1st one board was a total mess... kept hitting OCP and then the servos started sticking.

2nd one worked flawlessly for 4 flights. Then the elevator and rudder servos went south. Would stick in various deflections and Deoxit would not fix them. I even tried the alcohol and compressd air method that the techs at horizon use to clean the servos. No change which means it was electronic and not mechanical issue.

I received my 3rd Beast from HH and it ground tested okay, but bad weather has kept me from my maiden.

In the mean time I bought a BNIB Beast off the classifieds here that was one of the earlier batches and that one has been flawless.

I also picked up a MiG from HH that arrived with a bad aileron servo My replacement arrived and it ground tests fine, but still waiting on weather.

After my recent experience I highly recommend everyone spend extra time ground testing their UMX aircraft. Spending that extra couple minutes working the servos is what saved my MiG from flying with the sticky aileron and possibly becoming a pile of foam. Which made it an easy process for sending it in for a replacement.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,570 Posts
Just listed a V1 Beast motor in the classifieds if anyone needs one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1738957
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:17 AM
Wherever you go there you are
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
I dusted off my V1 Beast today, and was flying in the cul de sac after work. Got two flights in before the sun went down.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I dusted off my V1 Beast today, and was flying in the cul de sac after work. Got two flights in before the sun went down.
Man - are you following me around or something? LOL! You keep showing up in every thread I visit!

Time to upgrade to the 3D Beast. If you like the V1 you'll love the 3D Beast.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
I didn't even realize you were in this thread...

I don't particularly like the Beast, it's getting beat up, but it's better than nothing with the sun going down so quickly and not enough time to get to the field.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I didn't even realize you were in this thread...

I don't particularly like the Beast, it's getting beat up, but it's better than nothing with the sun going down so quickly and not enough time to get to the field.
Now you're just hurting my feelings!! The Beast is a classic for me. But I spent many of my early days learning RC with the Beast so that has something to do with it.

You should try to find a good deal on the 3D Beast. I think you'd fall in love with it. It's like the V1 Beast on steroids - especially if you can get it to run on 3s.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It's like the V1 Beast on steroids - especially if you can get it to run on 3s.
And don't forget the 2300kv motor with the 5043 prop!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
I'm debating it. My v1 beast has some dings, and tape, and doesn't have unlimited climb out. If it did, I'd be happier.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
And don't forget the 2300kv motor with the 5043 prop!
I swapped out my V1 motor to my AS3X and what a difference. Can hardly hear the motor and it does have a bit more power.
Great (easy!) mod
vrex is online now Find More Posts by vrex
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,342 Posts
Quote:
I'm debating it. My v1 beast has some dings, and tape, and doesn't have unlimited climb out. If it did, I'd be happier.
Easy mods give it unlimited vertical. Batteries are a big part. You're not running E-flight batteries are you? They are seriously mushy in the power department. I just flew my brother-in-law's stock B3D on E-flights and it felt terrible... felt like it was struggling just to maintain straight and level.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Put a 5043 prop on there and get your some decent hyperion batteries and you'll see unlimited vertical.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Easy mods give it unlimited vertical. Batteries are a big part. You're not running E-flight batteries are you? They are seriously mushy in the power department. I just flew my brother-in-law's stock B3D on E-flights and it felt terrible... felt like it was struggling just to maintain straight and level.
This is my first electric - I got the eflite battery but on recommendation on here got a Hyperion and couldn't believe the difference. With no other changes it's night and day difference. I wouldn't recommend the eflite battery to anyone. In comparison to the Hyperion it's barely got any power.
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
I think I have 6 180 mah e-flite batteries, from when we first started the hobby, and before we learned about rcg.