Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
2500kv is grossly overrated.
On 2S we were seeing optically measured rpms in the 10k-11k range where 2500rpm/volt would yield 18500.

I'm sure the ESC is working harder on 3S but for the most part it seems to be up to the task.

-Brian
Ok - that makes a lot more sense. So in effect we're probably looking at 1875-2000kv motor instead of a 2500kv motor.

If I use 1875 or 2000 then I'm only getting 4 Amps max so we should still have plenty of headroom.

I think I heard mention that you shouldn't fully charge these batteries to 12.6 Volts but to instead keep them around 12 volts. Is that still the thinking or are people safely going all the way up to 12.6?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Fully charged every time for me!
Beast 3D and Sbach
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Ok - that makes a lot more sense. So in effect we're probably looking at 1875-2000kv motor instead of a 2500kv motor.

If I use 1875 or 2000 then I'm only getting 4 Amps max so we should still have plenty of headroom.

I think I heard mention that you shouldn't fully charge these batteries to 12.6 Volts but to instead keep them around 12 volts. Is that still the thinking or are people safely going all the way up to 12.6?
There has not been a single reported failure by plugging in a fully charged 3S pack into an AS3X brick. There have been failures on the old Sbach/Beast V1 bricks, but even that is occasional.
Bottom line: It is at your own risk, but no one has popped one yet.

Motor: The kv rating of a motor is its unloaded rpm. no prop, prop adapter, etc. The problem is as the motors get smaller they lose more trying to spin the prop. So while the 2500kv motor probably does spin at 2500rpm/volt with nothing on it. It can't even come close while spinning a 5" prop.
An interesting note is that the old 2300 V1 motor while spinning the standard 5" prop actually turns faster than the 2500! It simply has more torque.

A lot of people are switching to that motor and putting a 5043 on it.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,076 Posts
Quote:

We were sneaking up on the safe voltage in the beginning. It has now been pretty much determined that fully charged 3S is safe with the Beast 3D brick.

And, btw, a hearty agreement with 2300kv motor on 3S with a 5043 prop! Sweet combo!!!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:23 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
We were sneaking up on the safe voltage in the beginning. It has now been pretty much determined that fully charged 3S is safe with the Beast 3D brick.

And, btw, a hearty agreement with 2300kv motor on 3S with a 5043 prop! Sweet combo!!!
Yea - I went that route (but on 2s) very early on when first getting my 3D Beast and it was certainly a sweet machine. I'm fine with the stock motor and stock prop actually but I think 3s will give me exactly what I want. I just need something with more thrust so I can have more 3D fun with the plane!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
What size 3S mah battery seems to work best (and fits) in the Beast 3D and what adapter is needed to connect it to the plane?
If I go this route I would like the option of also using my 2S batteries when I feel like keeping the plane as light as possible to decrease wing load, plus I also already own 4 sets of them.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
I posted pics a while back.
Took out the foam battery tray and now the battery bay is huge! I use mainly 3S BB240s or Miniaviation 2S 300s, though I am thinking of using my 2S BB180s too for the lightweight setup
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
After reading all the good things about the Beast 3D I decided to order one last week and will be receiving it tomorrow. I downloaded the owners manual so I could have my DX6i transmitter all programmed and ready to go when it comes.
The manual recommend throws of 100% and 70% on the dual rate settings but there is no mention of expo. I personally like using a little expo in all of my planes.
My question is anyone else here using expo or is it just not needed because of the ASX3 technology that is built into this plane?
This is my first plane with ASX3.
You will LOVE the 3D Beast. It's a wonderful little guy! Glad you have one!

And you won't need expo on it. That's why there is no mention of expo in the instructions. The AS3X will take care of the "smoothing out" that expo accomplishes in other aircraft.

Actually, it's possible that the expo could confuse and even negate the AS3X and make the plane sluggish in its response. Just theory on my end. I've never tried adding expo to this plane because it isn't needed. Maybe someone else has experimented with it and can tell us for sure.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
You will LOVE the 3D Beast. It's a wonderful little guy! Glad you have one!

And you won't need expo on it. That's why there is no mention of expo in the instructions. The AS3X will take care of the "smoothing out" that expo accomplishes in other aircraft.

Actually, it's possible that the expo could confuse and even negate the AS3X and make the plane sluggish in its response. Just theory on my end. I've never tried adding expo to this plane because it isn't needed. Maybe someone else has experimented with it and can tell us for sure.

Tom
Seems to make sense to me as I did not notice any mention of anyone using expo settings to calm down over controlling thus causing twitchyness in the plane.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Last edited by flydown; Sep 05, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post

Tom
Expo does nothing to confuse AS3X, it has been tested and confirmed. As per the exact function of expo the controls will be less responsive around center. IMHO not needed on this plane in the least, however of you're normally one of those 60%+expo guys you might try around 20-30 and then dial it down to your desired feel.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Expo does nothing to confuse AS3X, it has been tested and confirmed. As per the exact function of expo the controls will be less responsive around center. IMHO not needed on this plane in the least, however of you're normally one of those 60%+expo guys you might try around 20-30 and then dial it down to your desired feel.

-Brian

Thanks, Brian! Most helpful!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:51 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
291 Posts
**new shipment update**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
received email from Brian at modelflight. It stated:

"We received a small pilot shipment ahead of our container of UMX Beast 3D so I grabbed one for you and it will be on its way today".

So, thanks to modelflight, I will be able to evaluate the new batch and post an update hopefully over the next week.
Received new Beast on Monday.
Due to work commitments had to leave it until last night to test. In fading light managed around 10 minutes flying. Flew really nice, no hint of servo probs! More testing this arvo..... Crossing fingers, Horizon may have fixed the servo jamming probs?

Love how this thing handles a little wind!! Giggling like a fool while hanging it on its tail and slowly spinning it round... dont think too many people were watching
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
OK... I was able to get my hands on a friend's 3s hyperion 180's with the JST connector on them. I already had a JST to UMX adapter so I used that to test out the Beast out on a 3s setup. I'm using the stock motor and stock prop. I was amazed for the first 20 seconds and then the motor cut out on me. I kept on testing and it continued to do this. And I was only at around 50% throttle. And when I say the motor cut out on me I mean it just completely shut off and the plane fell out of the sky. I still had servo control but absolutely no power. The motor didn't feel hot and if I waited a few seconds it would resume working.

Any clues? Is there something special I need to do?
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,076 Posts
Quote:
OK... I was able to get my hands on a friend's 3s hyperion 180's with the JST connector on them. I already had a JST to UMX adapter so I used that to test out the Beast out on a 3s setup. I'm using the stock motor and stock prop. I was amazed for the first 20 seconds and then the motor cut out on me. I kept on testing and it continued to do this. And I was only at around 50% throttle. And when I say the motor cut out on me I mean it just completely shut off and the plane fell out of the sky. I still had servo control but absolutely no power. The motor didn't feel hot and if I waited a few seconds it would resume working.

Any clues? Is there something special I need to do?
Luck of the draw, I'm afraid. You can try cutting out the black part of the battery cover that surrounds the motor to get better airflow. If that doesn't work I'd be happy to send you a few of my tiny heatsinks to put on the FETs. But if you can't even get 1/2 throttle to work I'm not sure anything is going to get you there with that brick.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Luck of the draw, I'm afraid. You can try cutting out the black part of the battery cover that surrounds the motor to get better airflow. If that doesn't work I'd be happy to send you a few of my tiny heatsinks to put on the FETs. But if you can't even get 1/2 throttle to work I'm not sure anything is going to get you there with that brick.
Yea - that's what I was afraid of. So it's the brick that's overheating then and not the motor right? I've got another brick I can try.