HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Took my little 3D Beast out today for the first time in a loooong time. My batteries are getting tired and it shows - some of them could barely hold a hover! Guess it's time for me to consider going 3s? Anyway... a little video

3D Beast (5 min 34 sec)
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:45 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Took my little 3D Beast out today for the first time in a loooong time. My batteries are getting tired and it shows - some of them could barely hold a hover! Guess it's time for me to consider going 3s? Anyway... a little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS_rI...ature=youtu.be
Very Cool flying! Some of those car drivers may have been a little concerned at the end?
Shot with a hat cam??
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2011
102 Posts
Very good flying love looking at your videos , but by the sound of those cars going by you would not be here to share your videos with us !!! If you don't have your AMA and have not read the guidelines Please please follow the guidelines. They have been around for many years so we can all fun and enjoy this hobby but please be safe!!!! sorry must vent
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne on Maui View Post
Very good flying love looking at your videos , but by the sound of those cars going by you would not be here to share your videos with us !!! If you don't have your AMA and have not read the guidelines Please please follow the guidelines. They have been around for many years so we can all fun and enjoy this hobby but please be safe!!!! sorry must vent
Well, then the videos of him flying his Slick 51 at the same location would give you apoplexy!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Yea... I know you're right Wayne and I don't have a really good answer other than to say it's one of the better spots I've found. That road is usually very lightly traveled as it's really a small frontage road (it doesn't look that way because it used to be a main road but they've since reconstructed the flow there) that has two small houses at the end and a church. So yesterday morning there was a lot of church traffic but normally we can fly there for hours on end with maybe one car coming by. And typically there are a few of us out there at a time with someone calling out when there's traffic approaching.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2004
133 Posts
Quote:
and typically there are a few of us out there at a time with someone calling out when there's traffic approaching.
car!
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Aug 2004
133 Posts
Does anyone think their as3x over compensates to wind gusts? My b3d flies perfectly in zero wind, but as soon as there's the lightest wind (leaves rustling), it seems to overreact and does an odd bobbing up and down motion, like the elevator is deflecting too much and then it overcompensates to try and keep level flight? If you watch it fly across the field it looks like its flying an odd wave pattern ? It's not a regular wave, it's pretty random.

Of course it may be that this is the smallest, lightest plane I've flown, so maybe for the wind conditions this is normal as it gets caught in gusts and reacts more aggressively than what I'm used to with a larger, heavier balsa plane?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khooke View Post
car!
Car left! Car right!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:41 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone think their as3x over compensates to wind gusts? My b3d flies perfectly in zero wind, but as soon as there's the lightest wind (leaves rustling), it seems to overreact and does an odd bobbing up and down motion, like the elevator is deflecting too much and then it overcompensates to try and keep level flight? If you watch it fly across the field it looks like its flying an odd wave pattern ? It's not a regular wave, it's pretty random.

Of course it may be that this is the smallest, lightest plane I've flown, so maybe for the wind conditions this is normal as it gets caught in gusts and reacts more aggressively than what I'm used to with a larger, heavier balsa plane?
To truly appreciate it you would've had to have flown the original Beast in any sort of wind. The video that I posted above was flown in about 7-8mph winds. That would've been nearly impossible with the original Beast. Yea - sometimes it will bob and weave and little but it's truly remarkable what the gyro system actually does.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2004
133 Posts
Quote:
To truly appreciate it you would've had to have flown the original Beast in any sort of wind. The video that I posted above was flown in about 7-8mph winds. That would've been nearly impossible with the original Beast. Yea - sometimes it will bob and weave and little but it's truly remarkable what the gyro system actually does.
Got it. It would be neat if you could toggle the as3x on/off to appreciate what it's doing.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
My wheel pants didn't last long, and I don't intend to fit them to the gear again.

To those who have theirs 'pantless', what are you using as wheel retainers? Would prefer to use something threaded and not use wheel collars.

Thanks!
These wheels...
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...7.0.0.0?pp=12&

with these retainers.
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...61.5187.0.0.0?

Very light and IMO, kind of goes with the spinner. Makes it easier to land on outdoor surfaces without the nose-over.
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
Last edited by turbovector; Sep 03, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:59 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Got it. It would be neat if you could toggle the as3x on/off to appreciate what it's doing.
True!!

but be warned, I got shot down in the CC thread for wanting an on/off switch...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Quote:
True!!

but be warned, I got shot down in the CC thread for wanting an on/off switch...
Here is my take on it. It might be neat to see what it is doing, however, once you've seen you'd never ever flip the switch off again. In pretty much every aspect of flight the planes just fly better with the AS3X.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Here is my take on it. It might be neat to see what it is doing, however, once you've seen you'd never ever flip the switch off again. In pretty much every aspect of flight the planes just fly better with the AS3X.

-Brian
Absolutely 100% agree. If you want to see what it's like to fly without it then fly the V1 Beast. It's was an absolutely fantastic micro BEFORE AS3X came along. Now it just seems uncivilized to fly the V1 unless the wind is nice and calm.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely 100% agree. If you want to see what it's like to fly without it then fly the V1 Beast. It's was an absolutely fantastic micro BEFORE AS3X came along. Now it just seems uncivilized to fly the V1 unless the wind is nice and calm.
Yep!

The more I fly my 3SB3D the less I fly my 'uncivilized' V1.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member