HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Dec 2009
360 Posts
Boinked it on the nose this weekend and bent my prop shaft. It seems from reading this thread that most prefer the V1 2300kv motor over the 2500kv? Is that unanimous? Are there any downsides?

I also read somewhere (Carbon Cub thread?) that someone may be selling stronger replacement prop shafts for this. Can someone point me in the right directions?

Thanks in advance!!! Love this little plane!
Yeti1234 is offline Find More Posts by Yeti1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234 View Post
Boinked it on the nose this weekend and bent my prop shaft. It seems from reading this thread that most prefer the V1 2300kv motor over the 2500kv? Is that unanimous? Are there any downsides?

I also read somewhere (Carbon Cub thread?) that someone may be selling stronger replacement prop shafts for this. Can someone point me in the right directions?

I fly mine on the 3000kv GeeBee/Stryker motor. I'm one of the few that have tested all three motors 2300,2500,3000. With the 2300kv motor you'll have to get a gws 5043 prop. With the 3000 you can use the 5030 or stock(not recommended though as the stock prop is a little to thick to be efficient).

From this point on when I say 2300 I mean 2300kv + 5043prop and when I say 3000 I mean 3000kv + 5030prop.

Neutral points:
The power draw on both is almost identical <2mAh difference over 5 min of flight.
Both have more than enough power for easy unlimited vertical at 4+min on good packs.

Pro/Cons:
The 3000 has slightly better acceleration and hold speed in tight turns better.
The 2300 unloads more in the air resulting in slightly higher top speed

The 2300 is whisper quiet and that is offending most whispers!
The 3000 sounds like an angry hornets nest
*I personally like the sound but if you fly in a park or have sensitive neighbors it is a HUGE difference. I can use the sound of the 3000 motor for landing to know that the power setting is just right.

*Edit: I almost forgot: The 2300 will allow you to use some other more unusual props like the 6030 or the 5x3x3 three bladed prop. I have used the 5x3x3 on the 3000 but it cuts flight times to just below 5 min on a BB240 and that is to short for me Although it looks sexy on there.

Prop adapter: Well ICU's Shapeways store sells this one but I know it is slightly heavier than the stock one. I personally have only ever broke one and that was a full on crash of the plane. I've never broke a prop adapter on any landing/taxi ever.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Aug 06, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The 2300 is whisper quiet and that is offending most whispers!
Just to give an idea of how quiet... my servos make more noise!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,512 Posts
Quote:

Definitely the 2300 motor. Although its so quiet you lose the feedback you get from the sound of the motor. I find myself at WOT simply because I can't hear the darn thing to tell me to slow down.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:52 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Had my maiden over at the park just before sunset. Flew great, until the motor cut out 30 secs into it. The Beast went in from about 50' up. I seemed to have functional control surfaces and guided her in best I could. Fortunately I maidened over a football field of the softest grass that hadn't seen a mover in over a week. No damage.

Second attempt saw a nice takeoff and flew a quick circuit inside the running track I used as a runway. And again, motor cut out. Took a 40' plunge, this time breaking off the left wheel pants.

Flew a couple batts through the Trojan again, then came back to the Beast hoping to get at least a five minute flight out of it. Replaced the batt with another, then once again, the motor just abruptly quit and didn't respond to throttle input within the first minute of flight. This time as it went in, I had zero control over the control surfaces. Right side wheel pants busted in half.

So it just died on me mid-flight 3 times, all within the first minute. The ambient temp was 70 degrees(F) so I don't think OTP is to blame.

Anybody have any ideas what these symptoms suggest?
Update: I finally got it mailed out to Horizon today. They said they'll replace it.

Looks like Horizon has the Beast stocked again.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:04 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
421 Posts
I maided my 3DS several days ago. Ran 2 batteries through it on the bench to make sure the servos worked. First flight I got ESC cut off at about 2 minutes. Replaced battery got some weird wing wobbling ESC cut,off elevator quit. Nosed in from about 50' tore lower L wing off!
Called HH sent entire plane in.
Hope I get a new one with the "new" brick!
Great customer support!
Poor quality control!
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
I maided my 3DS several days ago. Ran 2 batteries through it on the bench to make sure the servos worked. First flight I got ESC cut off at about 2 minutes. Replaced battery got some weird wing wobbling ESC cut,off elevator quit. Nosed in from about 50' tore lower L wing off!
Called HH sent entire plane in.
Hope I get a new one with the "new" brick!
Great customer support!
Poor quality control!
Nintendo makes the 3DS, Horizon makes the B3D

-Brian
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,009 Posts
Quote:

-Brian
Har... nice catch... totally went by me.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Quote:

-Brian
Tony (me!) makes a B3SD
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2009
360 Posts
Thanks for all the great info on motors! I think I'll do the 2300/5030 for now.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Wait... wouldn't that be the 2300/5043?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
That would be a very ineffective combo. I'd STRONGLY recommend the 5043 with that motor.

-Brian
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2009
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Wait... wouldn't that be the 2300/5043?
Sorry, I got confused. Thanks for the correction as I almost got the wrong prop. How is the stock prop on the 2300?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I got confused. Thanks for the correction as I almost got the wrong prop. How is the stock prop on the 2300?
As Kalmon says, not great. It really comes alive with the 5043. And these props are so cheap. Why not? Just balance them before you run them. They come way off balance.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
It might fly, Given a long enough runway.

It is OK at best with a 2300 and a stock prop. Less than 1:1 power to weight ratio. Seriously limited vertical.

For $1.50 each get 3-4 of the 5043s and balance them all. Props eventually get chewed up anyways.

-Brian