HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Wait im still curious can i charge the 3s 180 babbel batts with my parkzone 11.1 volt charger its a jst-xh so the balance connector should work and its a 3s charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Drewkc,

It will work. The eflite chargers are not the best at ballancing though, and you won't know how many mAh you are putting back.

All in all I wouldn't use it on any valuable batteries...
+1 yes you can, and not recommended!

how many and what kind of electric planes do you have? (mainly interested in the batteries they take) Also what are your 1-2 year plans? any larger (60"+) electric planes?

There are a lot of relatively inexpensive good chargers out there. If you reply back with this info we'll try to help you pick a good one.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:17 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,985 Posts
Joe:
Answers from the guys:
1) Are the planes still stock? If not, which motor & prop are they using?
........it's all stock and freshly purchased included motor & prop

2) Which packs are being used, and approximately how many cycles are on them?
.......2S 180mah 25C and 150mah,all new & good stuff

3) Does the problem only happen on a fresh charge, only later into the discharge or at any point during the discharge?
......both
4) Does the problem only occur when the ailerons are cycled, or does it also happen when the rudder & elevator are cycled simultaneously?
......it happened to the rudder & elevator too besides the ailerons,also occured when shaking the plane

5) Do all of the servos sound & respond similarly?
......it started nomally in the begining,than rudder stopped and then elevator
the guys finally have sent the troubled planes to the HORISON dealer as suggested and waiting for the good news now,fortunately the dealer here have good name for the market afterservice
again, many thanks for your kind help
best regards
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:52 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Got the opportunity to fire up the Beast with the Mighty Midget motor. I'm happy with the perfromance on stock 2S.

Some video of a couple off pullouts from prop hangs here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21973318

I have 100% travel on elevator and using inner most hole on ele horn but still feels lacking elevator authority.
Geoff2005 is online now Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005 View Post
Got the opportunity to fire up the Beast with the Mighty Midget motor. I'm happy with the perfromance on stock 2S.

I have 100% travel on elevator and using inner most hole on ele horn but still feels lacking elevator authority.
Nice, it looks like a little bit more punch than my 3000kv on 2S. On 3S there is still no comparison though On 3S this plane is a monster.
I agree on that if could use a bit more elevator even on the innermost hole. I think that to much more and the foam live hinge would start failing. You'd probably have to figure out some other way to hinge the elevator and then change the elevator servo which is integrated so that would mean a different brick... As you can see it becomes quite complicated quickly.

-Brian
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Anyone get their replacement board yet?? I want to fly my 3s beast
cloudflying - did yours arrive yet?
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I got my other Beast video from the other day uploaded.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14870

What a great plane. Perhaps at some point I will try 3S. Just need to fly with this configuration for a while and get proficient.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khooke View Post
Just flew my beast for the first time since replacing the board, and confirm the new board has fixed my issues with the motor cutting out during flight. Thankyou HH for the new board!

B3D flew great - mainly flew circuits round the park... waiting for the motor to cut out, but then it never did... so relieved! Flew 5 mins each on two batteries... all looks good. It's got a tendency to roll left which I can trim out. The wings/ailerons all look aligned and level by eyeballing it, but if this is my only issue then I'm pleased, I can live with that as it's not a big deal.

Had so much fun flying this morning... batteries are recharged and I'm ready for my next outing :-)
Khooke, good to hear you received your board! Mine should arrive soon I hope. Does the board come with servos on it? I'm asking because mine came with a sticking rudder servo. I managed to free it up but then it stopped working again. Did you have to remove the wings to install the board? The wings are glued on and looks like it might be a pain.
Thanks
crashnless is offline Find More Posts by crashnless
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnless View Post
Khooke, good to hear you received your board! Mine should arrive soon I hope. Does the board come with servos on it? I'm asking because mine came with a sticking rudder servo. I managed to free it up but then it stopped working again. Did you have to remove the wings to install the board? The wings are glued on and looks like it might be a pain.
Thanks
Yes, the board has the servos attached, the board is complete, with wires attached etc ready to plug in as a direct replacement for your existing board.

You don't need to take the wings off - the top half of the fuselage is taped on - remore the tape and the decals overlapping the seam then it comes clean off.

The only mistake I made was to unattach and reattach the servo pushrods while the board was glued in place... of course it makes sense now, but it would be easier to unstick the board to get the pushrods disconnected, and then reattach them to the new board before you stick the board back in. The way I tried with the board glued in it was like playing that Operation game and trying to extract the bone without going bzzzz :-) If you get my meaning :-) I bought two long forcep tweezers from Radio Shack and they helped getting the pushrods attached/unattached. If you read back through this thread there was a couple of good suggestions for doing the replacement. It wasn't that hard, but it took me a couple of hours.

Now the new board is in though, it's flying great! I'm really enjoying the plane now it's flying reliably!
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005 View Post

BTW static test with e-meter showed 4 amps and 32 watts at WOT on fresh pack.
Geoff2005 is online now Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:35 AM
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
120 Posts
Running 3S & now have Engine CO

I have been enjoying running 3S Bats from RCBabbel for awhile now but on 2 last flights with 3S I have been getting Cutout or OVP motor shutdown. (retarding throttle to zero seems to allow power up to get on ground). I flew with 2S just to see if it was in fact the 3S & I had no cutoff with the 2S. So far I have flown approx. 25 flights with 3S (batteries are fully charged & balanced) & no cutoff issues until now, it seems odd that the board would now behave that way or change ??

Any input or thoughts on what it could be ?
KF
RV4flyr is online now Find More Posts by RV4flyr
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:38 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,501 Posts
It could be over temp cutoff.

Mine will cut out if I try static testing with 3S but flies just fine
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:46 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4flyr View Post
I have been enjoying running 3S Bats from RCBabbel for awhile now but on 2 last flights with 3S I have been getting Cutout or OVP motor shutdown. (retarding throttle to zero seems to allow power up to get on ground). I flew with 2S just to see if it was in fact the 3S & I had no cutoff with the 2S. So far I have flown approx. 25 flights with 3S (batteries are fully charged & balanced) & no cutoff issues until now, it seems odd that the board would now behave that way or change ??

Any input or thoughts on what it could be ?
KF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
It could be over temp cutoff.

Mine will cut out if I try static testing with 3S but flies just fine
Agreed it is most likely OTP cutoff. Mine is the same way it will fly fine as long as it is 75* F or less and I don't have any extended hover or slow flight. Basically as long as there is air moving through the fuse. Maybe someone can rig up the 5th channel to run some cowl flaps for the B3D

-Brian
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,501 Posts
I opened up the foam behind the prop a bit to get some airflow, works great!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Still nothing.... Very disappointing was told it would be going out that day or the next, contacted them again and was told they are unsure when it will go out....
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
B3D on 3s - on-board video

Was messing around with my #16 cam, and decided to shoot some footage from the B3D on 3s. I shot from the pilot's perspective and also rearward. I did some aerobatics, including inverted flight, KE flight, a sorta-flat upright spin and even a couple of KE loops. Yes, the plane can still do a KE loop with a 17 gram camera on-board! Unfortunately, the camera battery died early into the rearward shoot, so I only got one rolling power-climb.

The camera hardly phases the plane in most situations, however landings are noticeably hotter. Interestingly, it was easier to get the spin going with the extra weight.

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - on-board video (6 min 40 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member