HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Just a short hatcam clip of the B3D on 3s in the yard. Had to try out my new #16 keychain cam. Be sure to watch in 720p!

Joel
Very nice video... I can never get anybody to video me... hence the interest in the #16, the 720 was pretty good, do you have to practice moving your head smooth?? Anyway, I ordered on from the site turbo suggested.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Great flying Joel.

Will the #16 or #11 camera fit under the top wing between the cabane and canopy? That would be right about on the CG and would give a nice FPV video I'd think.

-Brian
I'm not Joel, but, yeah... it fits there really well. Only problem is you get the prop disk. I Velcro it to the bottom of the fuse right at CG facing rearward and let YouTube flip the video right-side-up.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Quote:
Great flying Joel.

Will the #16 or #11 camera fit under the top wing between the cabane and canopy? That would be right about on the CG and would give a nice FPV video I'd think.

-Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Very nice video... I can never get anybody to video me... hence the interest in the #16, the 720 was pretty good, do you have to practice moving your head smooth?? Anyway, I ordered on from the site turbo suggested.
cdee
Thanks, guys!

BTW - you can program the #16 to flip the video during the recording.

I don't practice moving my head smoothly, but I've noticed that I glance away from my plane more often than I thought I did!

Regarding mounting it forward on the B3D - CMOS sensors really hate props. The rolling shutter problem will drive most people nuts. For an example, check out this on-board video that I shot from my PA Extra 260:

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 - on-board video - 4th flight (8 min 19 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,282 Posts
Quote:

BTW - you can program the #16 to flip the video during the recording.

Joel
Daaang... yet another advantage over the #11. Now that feature I'd like!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Daaang... yet another advantage over the #11. Now that feature I'd like!
Yes, it comes in real handy when shooting on-board video. Another feature I think you'd like is no more dropped frames!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Just a short hatcam clip of the B3D on 3s in the yard. Had to try out my new #16 keychain cam. Be sure to watch in 720p!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeD2O_v06k

Joel

Joel,

The HD was sweet.

Many seem to fear 3S power.
Your vid was an excellent example of how flyable the B3D is on 3S!
Thanks.

I uncorked a giant KE loop today that was a thing of beauty.
My 3B3D was a little spec at the top.
She was only about 20' off the deck at the bottom.
3S power makes it all possible.

These UMs are so 'grab-n-go' convenient.
In all my years of RC, I've never got so much stick time.

Happily addicted in Twin,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,282 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it comes in real handy when shooting on-board video. Another feature I think you'd like is no more dropped frames!

Joel
Actually I'm using a nice class 10 card with my #11 and dropped frames aren't visible to me, though I have to admit I don't look too hard. I haven't measured for them though. Did you see them on my YouTube videos?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
I am about to just rig up a few servos a receiver and an esc and make my b3d a v1 beast... Getting tired of not flying it makes me sad horizon (but thank you for sending replacement board regardless of how long it takes!)
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
I'm not Joel, but, yeah... it fits there really well. Only problem is you get the prop disk. I Velcro it to the bottom of the fuse right at CG facing rearward and let YouTube flip the video right-side-up.
Thanks, Yeah I've seen a few of your videos I think.

Quote:
Thanks, guys!

Regarding mounting it forward on the B3D - CMOS sensors really hate props. The rolling shutter problem will drive most people nuts. For an example, check out this on-board video that I shot from my PA Extra 260:

Joel
hmmm... CCD sensors don't have this issue do they? I wonder if there is a small scale CCD camera, I'm not to concerned with HD as even 480 is technically DVD quality.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:01 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Joel,

The HD was sweet.

Many seem to fear 3S power.
Your vid was an excellent example of how flyable the B3D is on 3S!
Thanks.

I uncorked a giant KE loop today that was a thing of beauty.
My 3B3D was a little spec at the top.
She was only about 20' off the deck at the bottom.
3S power makes it all possible.

These UMs are so 'grab-n-go' convenient.
In all my years of RC, I've never got so much stick time.

Happily addicted in Twin,

rc
Quote:
Actually I'm using a nice class 10 card with my #11 and dropped frames aren't visible to me, though I have to admit I don't look too hard. I haven't measured for them though. Did you see them on my YouTube videos?
RC,

Thanks!

On 3s, the Beast 3D is about as close possible to being the perfect aircraft! A flight-envelope so broad that it nearly defies common sense. A plane that's just as happy flying along at 5 MPH as it is screaming across the sky at 50 MPH. A 2-oz plane that can fly so smoothly that it looks nearly full-scale - yet can also do maneuvers so abrupt & so extreme that they nearly defy the rules of flight. A plane that is equally at home at the gym, in the backyard, or at the club field. A plane that is an absolute dream to fly in calm conditions, yet has the ability to make her pilot laugh out loud in a 25 MPH wind. A plane that feels like an extension of thought - much like how a well-built hand-tool "disappears" from hand & becomes an extension of one's thoughts. One does not think about flying the Beast 3D. It just happens. Much like walking.

This is the plane that nearly every RC pilot dreams about - although they may not know her face, or her name.

In my 28+ years of flying RC, I have yet to fly anything in any scale that even comes close!

Erkq,

I haven't noticed any dropped frames in your videos. I was referring to comments I've read on the keychain cam threads regarding the differences between the #11 & #16. They say that a C4 card is good enough for the #16. The videos I've shot so far were with a 4 gig C4 card. I'm going to pick up a 16 gig card for it, though. Probably a C6. There are some issues with using certain C10 cards in the #16, and the general consensus is that a decent C6 card is more than fast enough.

Well...at least I got in a few minutes of stick-time last evening. We're back in the wind-tunnel, so it looks like that'll be about it until Friday.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Yeah I've seen a few of your videos I think.

hmmm... CCD sensors don't have this issue do they? I wonder if there is a small scale CCD camera, I'm not to concerned with HD as even 480 is technically DVD quality.

-Brian
Brian,

Correct. A decent CCD camera will not have rolling-shutter problems. They are available in HD - but the problem is finding one that's small & light enough for a UM - even at 480i. I have yet to find a CCD cam + DVR in the size & weight range of these keychain cams. If you find anything, let me know. My primary interest in on-board video is shooting from the pilot's perspective, and this usually requires shooting through the prop.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,282 Posts
Quote:
RC,

Thanks!

On 3s, the Beast 3D is about as close possible to being the perfect aircraft! A flight-envelope so broad that it nearly defies common sense. A plane that's just as happy flying along at 5 MPH as it is screaming across the sky at 50 MPH. A 2-oz plane that can fly so smoothly that it looks nearly full-scale - yet can also do maneuvers so abrupt & so extreme that they nearly defy the rules of flight. A plane that is equally at home at the gym, in the backyard, or at the club field. A plane that is an absolute dream to fly in calm conditions, yet has the ability to make her pilot laugh out loud in a 25 MPH wind. A plane that feels like an extension of thought - much like how a well-built hand-tool "disappears" from hand & becomes an extension of one's thoughts. One does not think about flying the Beast 3D. It just happens. Much like walking.

Your write about your passions very well. + about a billion...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
ok, got a weird one here.

My beast has been grounded..... oh, 3 months now? maybe 2? anyway, I finally have replaced the wings on it. I popped the battery into her today to check which way the aileron servos travel, so I don't have issues with the as3x. Well, they work fine. My issue is the the rudder/elevator servos retracted as far as they can go, and I can't even get a PEEP out of them. No movement, not even As3X chatter. Anyone experience this? The only thing I can think of is that she's been in the basement for a while, but in a dry area.... so I'm not really sure. Ideas?
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
DEOXIT APPLICATION

RCBABBEL, turboparker, or anyone else that may know--

okay I have some Deoxit fader F series...
suggest using as prevention or only intervention for sticky servo ?
Where exactly apply ? I fear I will use too much.

BobaFett1138 ---
I wonder if you are having the sticky servo issue that I and others are having...
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
3S made easy ?

the passionate talk of amazing 3s has got my attention this time--and I shall now consider the possibility of 3s for my 3d beast and as3x sbach.

any decent 3s batts available that use the umx connector and not the minijst that are reasonably priced like the 2s hyperion 240 which is $11 shipped ?

I rather not solder on new connectors on the planes or on my 2s hyperions--though
perhaps Glenn makes an adapter....
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim