HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:05 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
Deoxit

anyone know which one to get ? lubricant, grease, spray, gold, cleaner......
many products to choose from.
one with needle applicator seems best I think for applying to servo.

http://www.caig.com/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=...w=deoxit&rt=nc

According to 'Joel in the Know'...
Fader F-Series:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
Registered User
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Exciting maiden!

Well I have to say that the maiden on my Beast 3D (converted from a V1 using Carbon Cub brick) was the most exciting of any I have experienced. I took off from short grass and the plane must of done 5 or 6 rolls quicker than I could blink before it hit the ground. Fortunately the grass saved the day. I started "flying" the plane while holding it in my hands, and realized that whichever way I rolled the plane, the ax3s augmented the roll by moving the ailerons in such a manner that the wing dipping down was forced further down by the ax3s.
Well, I had used the reversing feature in my transmitter to get them moving the way I wanted which of course now I realize was a big mistake
So I am going to open it back up and see what I need to do to get them moving the right way. Merely switch the servo connectors at the brick? or use the little reversing links that came with the servos?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Well I have to say that the maiden on my Beast 3D (converted from a V1 using Carbon Cub brick) was the most exciting of any I have experienced. I took off from short grass and the plane must of done 5 or 6 rolls quicker than I could blink before it hit the ground. Fortunately the grass saved the day. I started "flying" the plane while holding it in my hands, and realized that whichever way I rolled the plane, the ax3s augmented the roll by moving the ailerons in such a manner that the wing dipping down was forced further down by the ax3s.
Well, I had used the reversing feature in my transmitter to get them moving the way I wanted which of course now I realize was a big mistake
So I am going to open it back up and see what I need to do to get them moving the right way. Merely switch the servo connectors at the brick? or use the little reversing links that came with the servos?
Yes, switching them is the easiest. WSEN, I just have to give you a bad time here. I hope you don't mind. But you've been around enough that you should have thought that one through! Ha! We all make mistakes, don't we? I'm glad you ended up OK for sure.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Well I have to say that the maiden on my Beast 3D (converted from a V1 using Carbon Cub brick) was the most exciting of any I have experienced. I took off from short grass and the plane must of done 5 or 6 rolls quicker than I could blink before it hit the ground. Fortunately the grass saved the day. I started "flying" the plane while holding it in my hands, and realized that whichever way I rolled the plane, the ax3s augmented the roll by moving the ailerons in such a manner that the wing dipping down was forced further down by the ax3s.
Well, I had used the reversing feature in my transmitter to get them moving the way I wanted which of course now I realize was a big mistake
So I am going to open it back up and see what I need to do to get them moving the right way. Merely switch the servo connectors at the brick? or use the little reversing links that came with the servos?
Either option would work, reversing the servos with the included reverser, or switching them on the brick. I remember posting about not using TX reversing as AS3X would then amplify movements.

Hope the re-maiden goes better!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
Registered User
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yes, switching them is the easiest. WSEN, I just have to give you a bad time here. I hope you don't mind. But you've been around enough that you should have thought that one through! Ha! We all make mistakes, don't we? I'm glad you ended up OK for sure.
erkq, you are right for sure! I felt pretty foolish, but did want to warn anyone else who may be tempted to mess up in the same fashion. I remember now reading the post about not reversing these servos with the TX.

The good news is I swapped the leads on the brick and re-maidened. (Is that a correct term)

WOW. You guys were not exaggerating, this thing is amazing. So different from the V1 Beast and the CC with ax3s. Wind was variable 5-10 and it was a pure delight to fly. Sure glad my messup on the original maiden didn't bust the poor girl up. Do wish I had captured it on video, Ha!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:21 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
erkq, you are right for sure! I felt pretty foolish, but did want to warn anyone else who may be tempted to mess up in the same fashion. I remember now reading the post about not reversing these servos with the TX.

The good news is I swapped the leads on the brick and re-maidened. (Is that a correct term)

WOW. You guys were not exaggerating, this thing is amazing. So different from the V1 Beast and the CC with ax3s. Wind was variable 5-10 and it was a pure delight to fly. Sure glad my messup on the original maiden didn't bust the poor girl up. Do wish I had captured it on video, Ha!
For a quadruple WOW, now you have to try 3S on her! Not guaranteed, risky... all I can say is no one has reported frying their bricks. Oh, wait... your electronics are from a Carbon Cub. Not sure about that one. People are frying their Sbachs. I don't know about the CC.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:35 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
For a quadruple WOW, now you have to try 3S on her! Not guaranteed, risky... all I can say is no one has reported frying their bricks. Oh, wait... your electronics are from a Carbon Cub. Not sure about that one. People are frying their Sbachs. I don't know about the CC.
Nothing but good news...

The Carbon Cub and Beast 3D use the same Rx.
(EFLU4864) 6 Ch UM AS3X

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Here's another vid of me flying my Beast 3D running 3S, 2300kv and 5043 with a #11 keycam. I don't think I ever hit more than 2/3 throttle.

View in 720p!

Best from Deck (2 min 8 sec)
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:41 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
For more plane poetry---

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post21825485
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
I posted a couple of days back about my 'unexpected encounter' with the ground 3 mins into my maiden with my new Beast3d. Got the wing glued and taped up and ready to fly agin.

Tonight though I've worked out what's going on - the motor is cutting out randomly. On my flight this evening, it was completely calm. On my first flight the motor cut out while it was in straight level flight after about 1 minute of flight on a fully charged battery. I know for sure the motor cutout because the wind was dead still and I was at a quiet park, so it was easy to hear the motor. I think at the time the control surfaces were still active and I was able to deadstick it onto grass. When I walked to the plane (only about 20 steps away) all the surfaces were still active and the throttle still controlled the motor as expected.

I thought it was odd, but I tried flying again, and it did exactly the same after about 30 seconds, flying straight and level, motor just stopped. This time I was about 25 feet up, so had a bit of time to glide it to the ground. I think the surfaces again were still active, but no motor response. I had time on the way down while gliding to try and blip the throttle between idle and 100% and got no response. By the time I walked to the model though, all the surfaces were still responding and the motor was responding as normal.

Before I took off again, I wondered if the motor was overheating and cutting out after a period of running, so holding onto the plane I varied the motor between idle and 100% for about 2 minutes - didn't have any issues with the motor, it responded to the throttle as expected, and I wasn't able to recreate it cutting out. I also didn't get the pulsing behavior of the LVC cutoff (at any time during these flights).

Third time (I was still within my planned 5 minutes of flight on the
same battery), exactly the same: motor stopped after about a minute,
had to deadstick the plane to the ground.

I'm pretty sure the battery or the motor were not overheating, I was just practicing flying circuits around the park, at 50% throttle. The battery was slightly warm to touch. The battery was bought new with the plane, was fully charged using a HiTec lipo charger both times. It's the e-flite 2S battery for this plane. My radio is also new - I bought it new specifically for this plane, it's a Spektrum dx6i.

I just created a support ticked with Horizon, since at this point it's obvious something is wrong with the plane, and I don't want to fly it again and risk another deadstick landing. Luckily the 3 deadsticks this evening were onto grass and I was able to bring it down as best as I could. Got a few scuffs and scratches but no extra damage.

Hopefully HH will want me to send it back to them so they can take a look. It's obviously unreliable to fly in it's current state.

Has anyone else had any similar issues with their Beast3d?
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:46 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Either option would work, reversing the servos with the included reverser, or switching them on the brick. I remember posting about not using TX reversing as AS3X would then amplify movements.

Hope the re-maiden goes better!

-Brian

just to make sure I understand---switching on brick only works if both aileron servos are both doing opposite desired. if just one is--then just that one needs to be reversed with reverser. After I messed around with the reverser on both servos thinking it was an extension in the package this could be the case for me.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:52 PM
Registered User
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
just to make sure I understand---switching on brick only works if both aileron servos are both doing opposite desired. if just one is--then just that one needs to be reversed with reverser. After I messed around with the reverser on both servos thinking it was an extension in the package this could be the case for me.
Correct.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:41 AM
Registered User
RV4flyr's Avatar
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
3S in Carbon CUB vs. Beast (sorry off topic a bit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Nothing but good news...

The Carbon Cub and Beast 3D use the same Rx.
(EFLU4864) 6 Ch UM AS3X

rc
RC,
Has anybody reported performance with Cub on 3S ?
If it is as fun as with your 3S 180's it should be another rocket !!
KF
RV4flyr is offline Find More Posts by RV4flyr
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:50 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,110 Posts
I'm planning to run mine on 3S. Not for speed though, loads of thrust!!
My Cub will not be flown round at loony speeds - I have other planes for that (3S Sbach to name just one).

It will be nice to see just how much thrust we can get for better aerotow performance


erkq,

I had good luck with my Sbach, I took a gamble and it paid off. Seems people are mostly toasting Stryker bricks which is strange, they are the same part number. Maybe the better cooling of the 'puller' prop on the Sbach helps?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:51 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
just to make sure I understand---switching on brick only works if both aileron servos are both doing opposite desired. if just one is--then just that one needs to be reversed with reverser. After I messed around with the reverser on both servos thinking it was an extension in the package this could be the case for me.
Yes, correct. To use the reverser:
plug in the servo to the reverser
plug the reverser into the brick
Plug in the battery and wait for the beeps to make sure the servos are powered
unplug the battery
unplug the reverser
unplug the servo from it
plug the servo back in to the brick
You should now be done!

before you fly verify that the AS3X is correctly moving the surfaces. Hold the plane by the fuse and rotate it like an aileron roll. the ailerons should move in the direction of travel. i.e. When the left wing is rotated down that aileron should go down.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18354 Aug 19, 2014 06:23 PM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast w/3batt and charger $120 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 06, 2011 09:40 PM
Wanted eflite UMX Beast fnlrun Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Dec 12, 2010 04:23 AM
Sold eflite UMX BEAST TERMAGATOR Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Dec 04, 2010 01:16 AM