HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Hey guys after requesting Glenn over at rc-connectors make a mcpx 1s to umx beast 3s plug, he has emailed me the link to buy it cant wait for it to get here! I have a ton of the mcpx batteries laying around and at $2.75 a piece at hobbyking, the price cant be beat. Heres a link to the connector!

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=374
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:36 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,527 Posts
Just tried out fitting the Mighty Midget. Slides straight in same mount same motor tube hole. With prop the MM is 9gm, comparedt to 10g for stock motor that also has spinner and connector.

Pics show motor in place with 6 x 3 prop.
Geoff2005 is offline Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2002
49 Posts
Rudder servo not moving at all

Please help.

I have the beast 3D for about 25 to 30 flights and the rudder servo just stops working, it does not move at all at the center position. There has not been any end travel binding, no crashes. Does it happen to anyone else ?

Can I just replace the servo mechanic (SPM6832) and see ? How can I find out whether it is the servo motor or the servo electronics problem ?
GoElectric is offline Find More Posts by GoElectric
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005 View Post
Just tried out fitting the Mighty Midget. Slides straight in same mount same motor tube hole. With prop the MM is 9gm, comparedt to 10g for stock motor that also has spinner and connector.

Pics show motor in place with 6 x 3 prop.
How does it fly? I know that on the stock motor the 6x3 bogs it down. What is the kv of the Mighty Midget?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoElectric View Post
Please help.

I have the beast 3D for about 25 to 30 flights and the rudder servo just stops working, it does not move at all at the center position. There has not been any end travel binding, no crashes. Does it happen to anyone else ?

Can I just replace the servo mechanic (SPM6832) and see ? How can I find out whether it is the servo motor or the servo electronics problem ?
My elevator servo locked mid-flight on about my eighth flight. Horizon support had be ship it in. A whole new plane was dispatched about an hour or so after the old one showed delivered. Not happy I had a problem, but the service is top-notch. Perhaps their service is just as good in Canada.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:10 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
How does it fly? I know that on the stock motor the 6x3 bogs it down. What is the kv of the Mighty Midget?

-Brian
Hi Brian,
I haven't tackled the electrical connector yet, and hence no flight trials.
I would have thought putting a bigger prop on the stock motor would just result in overcurrent problems.
Mighty Midget don't put specs up for the motor kV but they do a table of prop size, amps and static thrust based 2S or 3S. I am using the slower wind 8gm.
http://www.microbrushless.com/productsG3.htm

BTW what are the sort of currents is the Beasts speed controller is happy with? On my outdoor flight I got what I thought was a LVC while trying out a prop hang. I was using the recommended Eflite 180 2S and when I recharged it took less then 80mAhr to full. I've just got same size batts (Nano-Tech) from HK.
Geoff2005 is offline Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:27 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Hi Brian,
I haven't tackled the electrical connector yet, and hence no flight trials.
I would have thought putting a bigger prop on the stock motor would just result in overcurrent problems.
Mighty Midget don't put specs up for the motor kV but they do a table of prop size, amps and static thrust based 2S or 3S. I am using the slower wind 8gm.
http://www.microbrushless.com/productsG3.htm

BTW what are the sort of currents is the Beasts speed controller is happy with? On my outdoor flight I got what I thought was a LVC while trying out a prop hang. I was using the recommended Eflite 180 2S and when I recharged it took less then 80mAhr to full. I've just got same size batts (Nano-Tech) from HK.
I don't have a way of testing amps on this scale, however the brick is completely happy with quite a bit of draw. The LVC you got was almost certainly from poor quality eflite 180. Those batteries have REALLY BAD V-drop under load even when new. With a Hyperion240mAh I flew my stock 2500kv motor with a 5"x3" three bladed prop and didn't have a single over-current issue. Same while testing with a 6x3. That said the 2500kv motor is probably the weakest in the BL180 line. The 2300kv and 3000kv both outperform it. I just came in from flying my B3D, Fully charged 3S 12.6v packs on a 3000kv motor with a 5030 prop. Not a single current problem.
Sorry I don't have hard numbers but I hope that helps.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
......BTW what are the sort of currents is the Beasts speed controller is happy with?.....
Geoff,

The Beast 3D's ESC is rated for 4.9A continuous & 5.8A peak. It also has an over-temp shutdown. Not sure what the temp threshold is, however.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 06, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Honestly though changing to the 2300kv motor, while kinda pricey,

I think 2300 is cheap.....

2300kv for almost free --$1

buy new 2300 for $18 shipped

sell your used 2500 in classifieds for $20 shipped (spend $3 on shipping and paypal fees)

I've done the above 3 times.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parkzone-BL1...item3f16410d41
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoElectric View Post
Please help.

similar thing has occured to a number of us on the elevator servo. the mechanic fix might work....and seems worth a try since mechanics are less than $5 and probably easier to replace mechanics then replace the whole servo and have to solder. also since this is the rudder--much less risky---if it doesn't fix it then you won't crash unlike my elevator servo dying.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
She Rises: Ode to a Beast

Warbird-
Not she, though valor and glory are hers

A wounded existence—true
Let not your Foam-Tac wing by liquefied by the sun
Icarus is not your name

Rise again,

Turn once more 5043
Spin forevermore on the 2300

Hyperion- Let your electrons dance
Let loose the fury within

Rise up,

She has the markings of the beast-
Is this the apocalypse ?
Be you a fallen angel ?

Rise once more-
Gravity has no right to you

All shall know this being,
Submit whilst you raise your eyes

She rises
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:27 PM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
flyrtim - I love your poem! Are you riffing on another, similar poem? Sorry, poetry is not my forte ...

GoElectric: same thing has happened to me, just last week. I just sent my B3D back to Horizon for warranty evaluation. My problem is exactly as you described - except that mine only took 4 or 5 flights to develop this issue!

If you look at the UMX Carbon Cub thread, there is a big discussion of essentially atmospheric corrosion (in China, where the components are manufactured and assembled) that has affected, seemingly, large batches of HH components. Notably their linear servos. Some of the Carbon Cub guys are proactively using some kind of cleaner or solvent or something to try to remove the corrosion before it becomes a fatal issue. I guess it's called "Deoxit"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...umx+carbon+cub

I am not stating that this is what lies at the heart of this issue with the Beast 3D; I am only making an observation based on reading way too many RCGroups threads and posts, comparing symptoms reported by different users of the same company's products, and drawing my own conclusions.

I will say, for the HH employees who will undoubtedly read this, that I am a huge HH fan otherwise and currently 80% of my fleet is either Horizon (Champ), Parkzone (UM T-28 and PZ T-28) or E-flight (Beast 3D).

I was in my local hobby store yesterday after work (looking wistfully at the Beast 3D), and I remain impressed by the breadth of their offering.
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Enjoying my Beast 3D.
It is though starting to look beaten up and needs a replacement wing set. I presume they are........however can anyone confirm that the original Beast and 3D Beast have same wings set??

Thanks Bonnie
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Flyrtim,

I also enjoyed the poem. Well-done!

Bonnie,

The only difference between V1 & 3D wings is the graphics.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Deoxit

anyone know which one to get ? lubricant, grease, spray, gold, cleaner......
many products to choose from.
one with needle applicator seems best I think for applying to servo.

http://www.caig.com/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=...w=deoxit&rt=nc