SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
I have been flying my beast guts as3x'd hobbyking durafly micro slick 360 more than any of my beasts. This thing is just awesome. I even made it a bit heavier with a bunch of magnets and it seems to handle the wind even better than the beast. That being said, I love my beast These are my go to planes that I bring every time I'm out. Cant wait to try out 3s
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
I tried flaperons on my Beast 3D. Doesn't work correctly. How do I change back from dual ailerons?
TheDunk is offline Find More Posts by TheDunk
Old May 27, 2012, 08:10 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDunk View Post
I tried flaperons on my Beast 3D. Doesn't work correctly. How do I change back from dual ailerons?
Yup. As has been noted many times on these threads, AS3X doesn't support dual-channel ailerons.

See any 6400-series brick manual for single/dual channel aileron programming instructions. The manuals are available on Spektrum's website. Just pick any 6400-series brick & click on the manuals link.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old May 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
stock plane blown away in 10.5 MPH average winds.

Today I tried to fly my 100% stock Beast 3D in winds that my anemometer recorded as 10.5 MPH average with 22.9 gusts.

I got up to about 60 feet and I could not make any headway back to the field. The wind blew it about 100 yards into an adjacent field that had thick waist high grass. I cut power and gave down elevator to avoid trees at the end of that field.

I want to compare this with a historic flight that I had with the Champ. At that time the anemometer recorded 10.5 MPH with 27.6 gusts during that 7 minute flight. The wind was so high that it physically blew the anemometer off of the roof of my car. But the Champ did not get itself lost.

Both planes were stock.

I gave up trying to locate the plane after 60 minutes crisscrossing the field. With thick waist level grass, one would have to be within six feet of the plane in order to see it. I will buy a replacement Beast.

My current error may have been letting the plane get too high. My anemometer records wind at a 6 foot elevation. Thus I can rationalize that I got the Beast higher then I did the Champ and that the Beast got greater winds than did the Champ.

P.S.: I thought about the below 3.5 gram falconry telemetry, but at $1,000 for the system, I forgot about that idea.
http://marshallradio.com/en/north-am...y/75-receivers
http://marshallradio.com/en/north-am...3-transmitters
bob2fly is offline Find More Posts by bob2fly
Old May 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2fly View Post

I gave up trying to locate the plane after 60 minutes crisscrossing the field. With thick waist level grass, one would have to be within six feet of the plane in order to see it. I will buy a replacement Beast.
Makes me want to road trip to Wisconsin!! Seriously, go find it. I wouldn't quit till I did.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old May 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
688 Posts
???

Quote:
Today I tried to fly my 100% stock Beast 3D in winds that my anemometer recorded as 10.5 MPH average with 22.9 gusts.

I got up to about 60 feet and I could not make any headway back to the field. The wind blew it about 100 yards into an adjacent field that had thick waist high grass. I cut power and gave down elevator to avoid trees at the end of that field.

I want to compare this with a historic flight that I had with the Champ. At that time the anemometer recorded 10.5 MPH with 27.6 gusts during that 7 minute flight. The wind was so high that it physically blew the anemometer off of the roof of my car. But the Champ did not get itself lost.
Both planes were stock.

My current error may have been letting the plane get too high. My anemometer records wind at a 6 foot elevation. Thus I can rationalize that I got the Beast higher then I did the Champ and that the Beast got greater winds than did the Champ.

P.S.: I thought about the below 3.5 gram falconry telemetry, but at $1,000 for the system, I forgot about that idea.
im sitting here waiting to maiden my Beast but the winds are to high still. saturday i was at my bro's Ohio River Camp and decided to fly my MPX Easystar with Ailerons and Motor pack i took out of my crashed Funjet. i thought the wind had died down enough and gave her a toss and holy cow.. to much wind ! i could not get it back to until she almost complety out of site. then i just gave her full throttle and fought it like hell. all the people at the Camp were laughing and rooting for me as i managed to get it back in one piece and land it next to me.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old May 28, 2012, 05:37 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:

Both planes were stock.

Bob,

Sorry to hear about that! Top speed of a stock Beast 3D is just under 30 MPH. A 5030 prop & a high-quality battery will increase top-end by a couple MPH or so. However, the 2300Kv motor/5043 prop or 3000Kv motor/5030 prop combos provide a significant increase in speed and thrust. The top speed of a stock Champ with the stock battery in level flight is about 15 MPH, at best. With the much more powerful P-51 motor, a 5043 prop, and a high-quality battery, the Champ's top speed is in the low 20s - tops. A stock Sukhoi XP or Pole Cat can effortlessly outrun a Champ with a P-51 motor. Neither the XP nor the Pole Cat can even hit 30 MPH in level flight. It's hard to imagine that a stock Champ would be able to make headway or even hold its own in a 27 MPH headwind, as that would pretty much defy the laws of physics. The logical conclusion is that conditions must have different where the plane was.

Joel
Old May 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:

The wind speed above the tree line is probably 1.5x the speeds recorded at standing elevation so if you had gusts to 23 as soon as you get above about 50 ft I'd expect the winds to be close to 20 gusting to 34. That is just to much on a stock beast. maybe with better heavier 240mAh batteries and a 5030 prop you might have a chance but stock there wouldn't be much chance.

Which brings me to my next point. I finally had 3S success on a 3000kv with the 5030! It sounds like a hornets nest hit with a bat though. I took off all the pins on the motor harness and forced them open a little more before I put them back in the plastic clip. Now when I plug in the motor I have a nice snug connection. I hit OTP if I have sustained 3/4+ throttle for more than 4 sec, less in vertical or tumbling. But quick bursts from slow flight to full throttle didn't cause even one OCP. Flew 4 flights on 3s from a large flying field with a nice asphalt runway driveway.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old May 28, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,073 Posts
Quote:
Did you waggle the servos while you were looking? You can hear those dang things a long ways away. I've located my lost UM a couple of times doing that. Watch where it goes down, line up a landmark and walk straight toward the landmark, waggling a stick. You'll hear it.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old May 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bob,

.......... It's hard to imagine that a stock Champ would be able to make headway or even hold its own in a 27 MPH headwind, as that would pretty much defy the laws of physics. The logical conclusion is that conditions must have different where the plane was.

Joel
Or the alternative is that the 27.6 MPH max gust was very short lived, pushing to plane back during that time but letting up for long enough to allow it to make headway. I am confident in the 27.6 MPH gust number, because I have never had the anemometer blow off of the roof of my car, ever, but it happened this time, and while the Champ was in the air.

As a side light, I am not sure what the max reading really indicates. I thought that max divided by average would yield some type of “turbulence” factor, but a quick analysis did not give me anything useful. Also the max gives no indication of its duration. Obviously I want to quickly correlate the pre-flight current average and max wind to a planes historical values, to determine whether it flies or stays in the trunk.
bob2fly is offline Find More Posts by bob2fly
Old May 29, 2012, 01:12 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Quote:

Both planes were stock.

Find someone with a quadrotor and a gopro or you can try an mqx with a keychain cam pointed downwards. Either setup will give you the right perspective quickly!
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old May 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Ordered some of the 3s 180mah packs from hobbyking. Cant wait to test them out!!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old May 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Man... It's been faaaaaar too long since I've flown my Beast. I have a bad right aileron and I've had a free replacement from HH for a while just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet! Think I'll get on that this week... I've been missing the little fella. And in the meanwhile I've been praying for an announcement regarding a park flyer balsa Beast!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 29, 2012, 11:22 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Man... It's been faaaaaar too long since I've flown my Beast. I have a bad right aileron and I've had a free replacement from HH for a while just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet! Think I'll get on that this week... I've been missing the little fella. And in the meanwhile I've been praying for an announcement regarding a park flyer balsa Beast!
Turnerm,

I'm with ya all the way on that!

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; May 30, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Which brings me to my next point. I finally had 3S success on a 3000kv with the 5030! It sounds like a hornets nest hit with a bat though. I took off all the pins on the motor harness and forced them open a little more before I put them back in the plastic clip. Now when I plug in the motor I have a nice snug connection. I hit OTP if I have sustained 3/4+ throttle for more than 4 sec, less in vertical or tumbling. But quick bursts from slow flight to full throttle didn't cause even one OCP. Flew 4 flights on 3s from a large flying field with a nice asphalt runway driveway.

-Brian
Brian,

Very interesting once again.

All my large planes use bullets.
I think I'm going to throw a few of these on my next All-E order and see how small and light they are...
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-gold-...nk-p-4491.html

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member