SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
Here's my experience with the newer Beast. Not the best vid, it was shot with a keychain camera taped to a bike helmet. Light wind from the north (right) but the plane doesn't feel it. Chalk up another victory for AS3X.

UMX Beast 3D in the road (5 min 52 sec)
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
Got my first 6 flights with my new 3d beast, so far not impressed , less power and speed then the org beast, eats batterys faster , was getting 6 to 7 mins on org ,getting about 5 mins on new beast, dont understand how they can say its 3d does not even have enough power,
On the good side it looks great, handles wind better
One more bad thing, i had to rebind her 3 times , dont understand why she will not stay bound?
xlrDALLAS is online now Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old May 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I got one (3S) Stryker 4040 flight in a few months ago.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3583
WOW was she fast!
Flight attempt #2 cost me my brick.

For some strange reason, the AR6400NBL Rx in my Sbach doesn't mind 3S power.

rc
RC,

My Sbach also seems to be fine on 3s. But after the popped brick reports, I went back to 2s. I plan to go back to 3s after I install the AS5410NBL brick.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
Got my first 6 flights with my new 3d beast, so far not impressed , less power and speed then the org beast, eats batterys faster , was getting 6 to 7 mins on org ,getting about 5 mins on new beast, dont understand how they can say its 3d does not even have enough power,
One more bad thing, i had to rebind her 3 times , dont understand why she will not stay bound?
The Eflite packs still suck. Get some decent packs (such as the Hyperion 240 2s packs), switch to the GWS 5030 prop, and you'll see a 20-30% increase in thrust - along with longer flight-times. Regarding flight-times - AS3X moves the servos many times per second. Also, AS3X planes use special HD servos that have much larger motors than the non-AS3X servos. Of course, both of the above increase the current load. Plus, the B3D is a few grams heavier than the old Beast. Also, they used the 2500Kv motor, which is a bit hungrier than the 2300Kv motor in the V1 Beast. The 2500Kv also seems to be less efficient - at least with commonly-available props. Regarding 3D - there are a number of videos around of people doing 3D with the plane. The Beast 3D is not a 3D trainer, nor is it advertised as one. Rather, it is a 3D plane for experienced 3D pilots. (I am definitely not in that category!)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 10:33 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
I agree with Joel completely. If you do nothing else switch the prop to a gws5030 (balance it!!!) and get some decent batteries. RCBabbel's 240s are the best bet. With that alone you'll get unlimited vertical and about 6min flights.

If you really want a big performance increase as well as a little noise reduction put a 2300kv motor in it and put a gws5043 prop on.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old May 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
I'm running hyperions already I'll try the 5030 prop thanks
xlrDALLAS is online now Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old May 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
Now Where Did That Plane Go?
Columbus, GA. Area
Joined Sep 2007
426 Posts
Let us know how that works out for you.
Crash One is offline Find More Posts by Crash One
Old May 18, 2012, 09:25 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Just received my 3S batteries from RC! Where are people placing the 3S battery for the proper CG in relation to the 2S batteries? 1/4 forward/backward, same position, etc?

Also, how much run time difference should I expect? 1 minute less, 2 minutes less? I'll be running the stock motor and stock prop.

Thanks,

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old May 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer View Post
Just received my 3S batteries from RC! Where are people placing the 3S battery for the proper CG in relation to the 2S batteries? 1/4 forward/backward, same position, etc?

Also, how much run time difference should I expect? 1 minute less, 2 minutes less? I'll be running the stock motor and stock prop.

Thanks,

Alan
RC's battery placement, I use about the same placement too now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14611

Run time should be really close to your stock times. At the higher voltage you draw less amps for the same power. The caveat is that with 3S power available its hard not to abuse the throttle

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old May 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Brian,

Thanks! Looks like the front edge is aligned with the first strut.. I'll start there. And I'll resist abusing full throttle

Alan
Old May 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
If you really want a big performance increase as well as a little noise reduction put a 2300kv motor in it and put a gws5043 prop on.

-Brian
At first I wasn't impressed with beast3d either.
Then I found the 2300 5043 combination is amazing! I mistakenly thought the 5043 was louder than the 5030---nope mine was just way out balance. I thought nah why balance such a little prop--yep I was really wrong. Even balancing on the end of screwdriver makes a huge difference. The 2300 is very quiet. My servos are much louder than my motor even @ WOT.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old May 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
My servos are much louder than my motor even @ WOT.
Yes! It's amazing.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old May 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Yeah, the 2300/5043 is also my favorite combo on 2s and 3s. It seems to be the sweet-spot for the best combination of thrust, speed, and flight-times.

Wind is up to 16-32 MPH today, and it's supposed to be 17-26 MPH tomorrow. We're supposed to have our club spring fly-in today, and our spring fun-fly tomorrow. Bet there won't be much flying. I'm thinking about bringing the Beast 3D & doing my 'stationary aerobatics' & my 'sit on the runway in winds up to 4x your stall-speed' demos.

EDIT: Just got back from the field. There were a lot of guys from other clubs there - many of whom I didn't know. Surprisingly, some of the guys had been flying, despite the high winds. When I arrived, the wind was 17-37 MPH, and nobody was flying. I brought out the B3D, popped in a 3s 180 pack & headed to the runway. Most of the guys in our club have seen me fly in 20-25 MPH winds, and are used to this. But the looks I got from some of the others were priceless! The wind was rapidly switching from S to SW, so I had trouble finding a position on the runway that would allow me to walk back to the flight-line without the wind trying to tip it over. I picked the difference, sat it down, planted it with some up-elevator, and gave it just enough throttle to sit still while I walked back to my position. Surprisingly, the plane stayed planted. I relaxed the elevator & put the balls to the wall. Nearly instantaneously, the plane leapt from the ground & snapped violently to vertical. The forces were so extreme, I could see the wings bow heavily under the extreme G-load. The plane was now rocketing straight up at over 300W/pound. I went to full left stick & did a vertical 'drill-bit' to about 300' AGL. Chopped the throttle, pointed into the wind, firewalled it, and came screaming back down toward the spectator area into the wind. Got over the runway, transitioned into a stationary KE, and brought the plane closer for some more stationary flying. I firewalled it again, pulled up, and executed a 250' monster loop, came screaming back down into the wind @ WOT, transitioned into an elevator, and spot-anded crossways on the taxiway. Nailed the throttle, went vertical with zero rollout, then transitioned into a hover - with the plane drifting away rapidly in the wind. Powered out vertically & came back into the wind for a zero-groundspeed landing. Sat there planted on the runway for a bit, then hammered the throttle & did a rolling takeoff into a 35+ MPH headwind. Flew a couple circuits, then came around for another crossways spot-landing on the taxiway. Kept the throttle on while I walked over & picked it up. As I walked back to the pits with the plane in-hand, the looks I got were priceless. A group of pilots walked over to see what the heck was going on with this tiny plane that had no problem screaming right through a 35+ MPH headwind. I number of 'em remarked that they thought I was nuts when they saw me walking out to the runway with such a small plane. When the plane actually got airborne, they figured that it would be the last time they saw the thing. When I pulled vertical, corkscrewed into the sky, and came around for a WOT pass into the wind, they admitted that they could hardly believe their eyes. A number of them wanted to know who makes it & the cost. When I told them that it's only $130 - less than the cost of a decent rudder servo on many large-scale planes - they wanted to know where to get one.

Mission accomplished! Another group of large/giant-scale guys have now witnessed the seemingly impossible: AS3X's uncanny ability to make a 2.5oz foamie fly with impunity in a 35+ MPH wind!

Definitely a much higher wind & much more turbulence than I'd ever flown in with the plane. It was sometimes challenging to stay on course - even with AS3X helping. At times, I needed nearly 70% throttle just to make headway. Not sure if I want to try a 40 MPH wind. As it is, 37 MPH w/heavy turbulence was definitely challenging for AS3X & the airframe. Nevertheless, the post-flight inspection revealed that everything was still in order. I fully expected to find at least one set of loose wire sets and maybe a torn control surface hinge or two after seeing how much the wings flexed. The peak G-loads must have been in the twenties at times. Man, this is one unbelievably strong airframe in flight!! It is fully capable of supporting a 100% increase in power, and can handle the stresses of flying @ 200% power in winds that are 5-6 times the plane's stall-speed!

It is absolutely amazing what this airframe can handle!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 19, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer View Post
Brian,

Thanks! Looks like the front edge is aligned with the first strut.. I'll start there. And I'll resist abusing full throttle

Alan
Alan,

Good luck with that!

Looking forward to your 3S flight report.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
RC's 3S 180's on the stock motor and prop were AMAZING! Take offs were measured in inches, verticle thrust was "Wow!", KE flight w/o losing altitude was much better, and flight times were better than expected. The only issue is that I kept hitting over-current cutoff - a lot. Some times I could go 8 seconds full throttle up without cuttoff, followed by cut off at straight-n-level. The good news is that throttle would come back after 4-5 seconds so I only used full throttle at altitude. I tried setting the throttle endpoint to 80%, but was still getting cut offs. Any one else have this issue with the stock motor and prop?

I have a GWS 5030 that I need to try, hopefully tomorrow.

Alan