SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:12 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaas75 View Post
But if you guys are right why the stryker brick as3x works?
how can the as3x brick work so good on the stryker cuz we all know it needs ail and elev mixing to get it working.

if you think about it flapperons and full elevator on the stryker look the same. signal wise
As SP noted - the Stryker doesn't have AS3X, and the current AS3X bricks do not support flying wings or deltas. Nobody has successfully used an AS3X brick in the Stryker. The upcoming user-programmable brick doesn't even support deltas or flying wings. This is not an opinion. The info comes directly from the guys who design the AS3X bricks.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
569 Posts
oh ok, sry i misread the stryker specs.
jaas75 is online now Find More Posts by jaas75
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:57 PM
Righteous 87
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jun 2009
1,656 Posts
If any of you Florida gentlemen would be interested in a good time this weekend if so check this out.

Kevin puts on a heck of an event. and its a great building to fly in.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576339

Hope to see ya there.

Randidly
Randidly is offline Find More Posts by Randidly
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:42 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Lil bro passed through town the other day.
Wanted to see the giant 3S KE loops and death slides that I kept telling him about.
I heard a couple of WOWs under his breath so I think I did ok.

On the final flight, we got talking for about 5 min while my B3D was powered up on the tarmac and waiting patiently for a command. (not wise)
You could hear those servos working in the breeze.

Fun flight; timer beeped at the usual 5 min mark and I was on my final turn over the kids playground area.
Went to throttle up and my batt was done.
Plopped her right in the monkey bars.

First damage inspection was one wheel pant missing and one wing strut base unattached from the bottom wing.
Sweet!
I got off lucky.
Foam-Tac to the rescue.

Closer inspection revealed a very odd break.
The bottom 1/4" of the micro cf rudder support rod was missing.

Hey, I'll just cut some of the hinge tape and slide the rod down a bit.
Great plan except that the cf rod is molded and or glued to the leading edge of the rudder.
Talk about delicate and awarkward x-acto blade work!
Had to cut down the entire length of the rod without damaging the foam hinges.

Everything turned out great but next time I'll just buy a new tail assembly.

Fly on,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:13 AM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Mar 2009
81 Posts
Beast Aileron Wag

Howdy,

I have been having this aileron servo wag issue for 3 weeks or so and haven't been able to solve it. I thought it was the servo and cleaned it using the de-oxit method and it seemed to help a little, but I ordered a new servo expecting that to be the fix.

The new servo still has the same issue, meaning it is not the servo. If I switch the aileron servo plugs on the board, the issue switches servos, always sticking with the aileron that is affected by as3x. I also tried dynamically balancing the prop and spinner, after balancing the prop on a prop balancer, and that was to no avail.

I was unable to use the thread search to come up with much of an answer as to what this may be, using key words like "servo wag," "aileron chatter," and all sorts of combinations thereof. if anyone has any ideas of what may be going on please let me know!

Below is a video of the problem!
Beast 3d Servo Wag When Throttle is Added (0 min 35 sec)

-Kevin-
Pereth is offline Find More Posts by Pereth
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:30 AM
uk
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pereth View Post
Howdy,

I have been having this aileron servo wag issue for 3 weeks or so and haven't been able to solve it. I thought it was the servo and cleaned it using the de-oxit method and it seemed to help a little, but I ordered a new servo expecting that to be the fix.

The new servo still has the same issue, meaning it is not the servo. If I switch the aileron servo plugs on the board, the issue switches servos, always sticking with the aileron that is affected by as3x. I also tried dynamically balancing the prop and spinner, after balancing the prop on a prop balancer, and that was to no avail.

I was unable to use the thread search to come up with much of an answer as to what this may be, using key words like "servo wag," "aileron chatter," and all sorts of combinations thereof. if anyone has any ideas of what may be going on please let me know!

http://youtu.be/uPoJpmQmiVo

-Kevin-
Edit, sorry wrong info.
I had this on both ailerons due to unbalenced prop, matches your video but i had both ailerons doing the boogy, i have now fixed my twitxhing alot by balencing teh prop while on the plane with alittle tape and power up and rinse and repat untill the chattering on ailerons was almost gone, there will allways be alittle vibration and this is what is making your aileron chatter which is normal.

I do notice something, the aileron that is doing the boogy is'nt faulty, it is the other aileron as it is'nt moving ??, so if its not the aileron it must be the brick that is faulty as both ailerons should move when throttle up due the asx3 being active due to vibrations.

Other people here should be able to confirm this for me.

Owners can you please spin up your beast all teh way to full throttle while holding it, does your ailerons twitch?
Both mine do and i see this as normal, i do'nt see a none twitching aileron as normal though.
Twitching starts for me with a balenced prop at about 50-60% power but it is only a tiny twitch, at full throttle i have more twitch but nothing that i see is out the ordonary with a asx3.

If you take the prop off and power up does the chatter still happen?
It should'nt but i'm saying this as it did'nt for me , as this will take away 99% of vibration it should help you to fault find, if it does'nt then this is normal as there is no vibration the asx3 does'nt need to work.
Clouds4brains is offline Find More Posts by Clouds4brains
Last edited by Clouds4brains; Apr 06, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:32 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
Have you got rid of the Y lead on the servos? If you split them the AS3X only works on one wing so the vibration only affects one servo. You have to use the Y lead, sorry but no way round it with these units!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:53 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pereth View Post
If I switch the aileron servo plugs on the board, the issue switches servos, always sticking with the aileron that is affected by as3x. I also tried dynamically balancing the prop and spinner, after balancing the prop on a prop balancer, and that was to no avail.

http://youtu.be/uPoJpmQmiVo

-Kevin-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds4brains View Post
I had this on both ailerons due to unbalenced prop, matches your video but i had both ailerons doing the boogy, i have now fixed my twitxhing alot by balencing teh prop while on the plane with alittle tape and power up and rinse and repat untill the chattering on ailerons was almost gone, there will allways be alittle vibration and this is what is making your aileron chatter which is normal.

I do notice something, the aileron that is doing the boogy is'nt faulty, it is the other aileron as it is'nt moving ??, so if its not the aileron it must be the brick that is faulty as both ailerons should move when throttle up due the asx3 being active due to vibrations.

If you take the prop off and power up does the chatter still happen?
It should'nt but i'm saying this as it did'nt for me , as this will take away 99% of vibration it should help you to fault find, if it does'nt then this is normal as there is no vibration the asx3 does'nt need to work.
I completely agree and had the exact same problems even on a statically balanced prop. Take off the prop and run up the throttle. I'm 99% sure the wag will be gone. My aileron wag went away after a radio interference crash destroyed my prop and I had to put a different 5030 (balanced on my du-bro balancer) on, this one must have been better as the wag was all but gone.

second, I'd highly advise to leave the ailerons in the stock config and not try to use flaperons/spoilerons. The plane will be able to fly slower with AS3X on both channels than if you had flaperons. The plane will fly all around better with AS3X on both ailerons.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:11 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Lil bro passed through town the other day.
Wanted to see the giant 3S KE loops and death slides that I kept telling him about.
I heard a couple of WOWs under his breath so I think I did ok.

On the final flight, we got talking for about 5 min while my B3D was powered up on the tarmac and waiting patiently for a command. (not wise)
You could hear those servos working in the breeze.

Fun flight; timer beeped at the usual 5 min mark and I was on my final turn over the kids playground area.
Went to throttle up and my batt was done.
Plopped her right in the monkey bars.
Next time, instead of talking, give him a video camera and fly! That will teach you!

Seriously though, no matter if it's a 3S or 2S, just standing still still take a lot of juice out of a battery... Good to know as I do that every now and then, and always thought that power loss was minimal. Did you had the AS3X activated?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:53 PM
uk
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Not happy , as stated above, i thought id fixed most of the aileron chattering.
The only time i flew this beast was teh other day in too much wind, flight lasted about 1min and i was on low aileron rates.

So...
Just found that with high rates 1 aileron sticks when full stick.
Low rates fixes this.

Allso the chattering on the aileron servos made the plane rock like crazy in the air, it is another dud, 2 in a row now, 200 down.

I'm going tobe on teh phone come soon as there open again and make a piont of having a moan, nearly a month i've had a beast but noit had one, just to buy another and that is allso faulty.

I'm really not happy as days wasted is days of fun that is taken away from me

So looks like i'm losing 2x return postage to hh uk
Clouds4brains is offline Find More Posts by Clouds4brains
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Delete
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Delete
Darn!

I'll bet it was worth watchin'.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Darn!

I'll bet it was worth watchin'.

LOL! Somehow I loaded up the wrong video to YouTube. It's reloading now. I'll repost shortly
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:18 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Next time, instead of talking, give him a video camera and fly! That will teach you!

Seriously though, no matter if it's a 3S or 2S, just standing still still take a lot of juice out of a battery... Good to know as I do that every now and then, and always thought that power loss was minimal. Did you had the AS3X activated?
Hey RG,

Sorry I wasn't thinking about video.
Torye always has his smart phone on him to.

He kept egging me on for bigger and better.
On my B3D death slides; I like to start high in KE and keep her lined up right between my eyes all the way down.
Torye wanted to experience the full effect, so he stood right next to me breathing down my neck.
It's not the smartest manuver to perform as I pull out about 6 ft over my head.
Another reason why I love UMs so much.

I taxied out from my truck before we started 'chewing the fat' so Yes the AS3X system was active.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
The wind was howling all day today and it suddenly died down to nearly nothing around 7pm. So out I went for some lazy early evening low and slow around the cul-de-sac. This one might lull you to sleep. Just lots of low and slow inverted harriers, KE, upright harriers and hovers. I was practicing my transitions from one orientation to another.

Unfortunately my right servo is going bad so I'll have to replace that before I fly her again.

3D Beast - Good Friday Good Times (6 min 28 sec)