HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:31 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post
Well, Ive had my Beast for a couple days and the tinkerer in me has already started to take over. Programmed flaperons and just some other minor tweaks. I did make some new parts to replace the ones that I think will not last long. I have a friend that has had a beast for a couple months now and we have been talking about different things to do. Here are a couple pictures of my new parts and my plane. Let me know what you think!

Travis
Awesome, but the struts act a little bit like Side Force Generator. I'm wondering if you would loose a little bit of KE capability with yours. May using some see-through covering (food wrap)? Totally cool for sure!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2009
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
A new Beast?

News to me! We've just got the AS3X V2, is there an upgrade already?
The V2 is the beast in question, everywhere I have been has said its not in stock yet
morefirejules is offline Find More Posts by morefirejules
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:18 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2007
167 Posts
Flaperons ??

Quote:
Well, Ive had my Beast for a couple days and the tinkerer in me has already started to take over. Programmed flaperons ....
Travis
Does the AS3x work correctly with the flaperons programmed in?
What about spoilerons?
bob2fly is offline Find More Posts by bob2fly
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:21 AM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Awesome, but the struts act a little bit like Side Force Generator. I'm wondering if you would loose a little bit of KE capability with yours. May using some see-through covering (food wrap)? Totally cool for sure!
^This. In the real beast, the struts were very small, they weren't huge. But on both the hanger 9 beast and this one, they are very wide, presumably for SFG's. The food wrap would add almost no weight, and you'd retain all the KE abilities.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:29 AM
uk
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefirejules View Post
Hi
Does anyone know when the UK release date is for the new beast?

Cheers

Totemhobbies have 1 left in stock i believe and have ordered my last 2 from them which has come next day both times and i done phone orders for both items.
http://www.totemhobbies.co.uk/produc...bnf-basic.aspx

Horizon uk said they have a container on its way to them and it should be there on the 8th of this month, i'm waiting for a new plane for rma so this was the info i was given on when they would have stock in teh uk again.
Clouds4brains is offline Find More Posts by Clouds4brains
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:30 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefirejules View Post
The V2 is the beast in question, everywhere I have been has said its not in stock yet
They are current stock, I hope you don't have to wait for the Carbon Cub / ASK-21 boat to get here for the re-supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2fly View Post
Does the AS3x work correctly with the flaperons programmed in?
What about spoilerons?
There are reports that AS3X doesn't like split aileron channels and will only work on one wing if split. Has anyone thought of running 2x Y leads to the wing servos? One for the ailerons and the other plugged into the flap channel...

Just a thought. Might be opening a can of worms though!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
tc1
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Mine works okay on the bench and seems to be okay when moving plane side to side. We will see when I actually get to fly it.
tc1 is offline Find More Posts by tc1
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Mine works okay on the bench and seems to be okay when moving plane side to side. We will see when I actually get to fly it.
That sounds like good news
Does it work after the system has been armed (after first throttle)? Also it needs to be checked by rolling the plane, just moving sideways might only get the rudder to respond.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
There are reports that AS3X doesn't like split aileron channels and will only work on one wing if split. Has anyone thought of running 2x Y leads to the wing servos? One for the ailerons and the other plugged into the flap channel...

Just a thought. Might be opening a can of worms though!!
You'd need an electronic mixer to combine the signals. It would be impractical.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:52 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,168 Posts
AS3X is active on only one aileron when the brick is in dual-channel aileron mode. This is because AS3X only supports one roll-axis channel.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:01 PM
tc1
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Man, I'm sure you're probably right about that, but I hope youre not. It probably will not work on both, but I wonder how it will fly if the as3x is only on one aileron. As for the side force on my struts, I was thinking of just using a piece of clear packing tape or something to cover the holes, but since I'm not really into 3d flying and all I didnt really put any more though into it, I just like the look of the carbon fiber.

Travis
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,168 Posts
Quote:
Man, I'm sure you're probably right about that, but I hope youre not. It probably will not work on both, but I wonder how it will fly if the as3x is only on one aileron. As for the side force on my struts, I was thinking of just using a piece of clear packing tape or something to cover the holes, but since I'm not really into 3d flying and all I didnt really put any more though into it, I just like the look of the carbon fiber.

Travis
Travis,

AS3X won't work on both aileron channels. This is a fact that has been stated by the engineers who designed the system, and it has already been verified by a number of people on here. Most (if not all) of those who have tried dual aileron channels on the Beast 3D went back to the stock configuration in short order. Regarding how it will fly - the roll axis gain will be 50% of what it should be. AS3X aileron authority will be 50% of what it is with two ailerons, which means that the system may run out of aileron in some situations. Using only one aileron for AS3X corrections may also introduce some adverse-yaw & some roll/pitch-coupling, which AS3X will attempt to counteract.

Other than that - flaperons will reduce the critical angle-of-attack (the angle at which the wing stalls), which typically decreases maneuverability at low speed. Spoilerons will increase the critical AoA, which typically improves maneuverability at low speed.

Also, you need to make sure that the servos are never overextended. Going past 100% travel on these linear servos will jam and/or destroy them. Flap/spoiler deflection, aileron deflection, and AS3X correction added together must never exceed 100% travel.

What is your goal with the flaperons/spoilerons? What would you like the plane to do that it can't do, and/or what would you like it to do better?

The reason I'm asking is that with the correct CG setting, the Beast can already fly slower than the Champ & it already slows down like it has a drag chute deployed when throttle is cut. It surely doesn't need flaps to slow down or to fly slowly. It already does wing-rock-free harriers at any AoA desired, it has excellent low-speed maneuverability. The Beast 3D can be easily 'driven' around in harrier mode on rudder alone at just 1-2 MPH - using throttle to control altitude, of course. So it doesn't need spoilerons either. About the only benefit of flaperons would be for performing extremely tight, elevator/flap-coupled loops. Again, the Beast already does extremely tight loops, and it can pull a 180-degree turn in a couple fuselage lengths.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:59 AM
tc1
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
I really have no goals in mind, I just like to mess with stuff, and youre right, the beast already does fly very slow when throttle is cut. I flew it last night and I have already chaged it back to factory settings. Like I said, i just enjoy messin with stuff and seeing what changes affect how things work. Anyways, thanks for your input It made me understand a little bit more of this as3x.

Travis
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
But if you guys are right why the stryker brick as3x works?
how can the as3x brick work so good on the stryker cuz we all know it needs ail and elev mixing to get it working.

if you think about it flapperons and full elevator on the stryker look the same. signal wise
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:57 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,490 Posts
AS3X does not work on the Stryker for exactly that reason!

A few people have put it into the Sbach with good results but never a Stryker...
RCG Plus Member