HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Spun it up this morning, put a piece of a nice, heavy packing tape I have on the GWS side... maybe a 1cm by 1cm piece... 2/3 of the way to the tip.... MUCH more vibration. Swapped it to the other end... better. Added a bit more right near the tip, and it is even better. At 3/4-full throttle it is smooth, but 1/3-1/2 throttle still a little vibration. Without laying another layer of tape that is all I can do. Do you think if I added some closer to the motor shaft may help even more? If I did though basically the whole length back side of that prop blade would have tape on it.

Off to try it out.. headed to the field.
What I do is make a few 1 to 1 1/2cm strips and stick them to a piece of hard plastic/glass by the edge of each strip. This way there are easy to grab quickly with one hand. Note that the farther out on the blade you go the more profound the change will be to the balance. So I usually start near the middle of the prop blade. If it is close to balancing place the tape close to hub, if its not close another piece further out. repeat until it balances.Then I mount it to the plane. Some have had great luck balancing on the plane but I have not, YMMV. If you check balance only by feel while running it you will have to make sure it is smooth at ALL throttle levels. If its off balance it could still feel smooth while held at certain throttle levels. Something to do with resonant freq, sine wave cancellations, etc, basically a lot of stuff I don't quite understand .

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
The magnetic balancer is awesome. I was surprised to learn that even after the blades balance, often the hub needs weight added or taken off one side or the other. I suppose because the hole is not perfectly centered. The good wife gave me some fingernail polish to use as added weight where needed. Amazing how quiet these micros get when the prop is nicely balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
What I do is make a few 1 to 1 1/2cm strips and stick them to a piece of hard plastic/glass by the edge of each strip. This way there are easy to grab quickly with one hand. Note that the farther out on the blade you go the more profound the change will be to the balance. So I usually start near the middle of the prop blade. If it is close to balancing place the tape close to hub, if its not close another piece further out. repeat until it balances.Then I mount it to the plane. Some have had great luck balancing on the plane but I have not, YMMV. If you check balance only by feel while running it you will have to make sure it is smooth at ALL throttle levels. If its off balance it could still feel smooth while held at certain throttle levels. Something to do with resonant freq, sine wave cancellations, etc, basically a lot of stuff I don't quite understand .

-Brian
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
The magnetic balancer is awesome. I was surprised to learn that even after the blades balance, often the hub needs weight added or taken off one side or the other. I suppose because the hole is not perfectly centered. The good wife gave me some fingernail polish to use as added weight where needed. Amazing how quiet these micros get when the prop is nicely balanced.
+1... not sure why so many think this is an optional tool when the results of using properly are dramatic... and correct!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Ok now I am completely confused. Went to the field.. put up the B3D... simply amazing.. almost silence. Now I see what you guys mean, lol and now I know I prefer a louder motor.. seems I do like to hear it. Anyway... flew 5 flights total.. started to seem a little louder 3 flights in, and by flight 5 was buzzing away like a bumblebee again, though not quite as loud as at first. Checked.. no prop damage, no looseness, and tape exactly where it was. Not sure what gives.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1 on balancing the GWS props!

In four years of flying UMs with GWS 5030 & 5043 props, I have yet to get one that was even close.
Actually, amazingly enough, I did have a 5043 balance right from the package. It was getting dark, so I just threw it on for a quick flight. Amazingly, not a single ounce of vibration at any throttle setting. On the down side, I bent that prop on my very first landing with it...
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Ok now I am completely confused. Went to the field.. put up the B3D... simply amazing.. almost silence. Now I see what you guys mean, lol and now I know I prefer a louder motor.. seems I do like to hear it. Anyway... flew 5 flights total.. started to seem a little louder 3 flights in, and by flight 5 was buzzing away like a bumblebee again, though not quite as loud as at first. Checked.. no prop damage, no looseness, and tape exactly where it was. Not sure what gives.
I had this same problem when switching to V1 and 5043. I think the spinner gets out of balance. I've left my new 3D Beastco pletely stock except for my batts and it's great. Just simpler this way.

Your issue is definitely a balance issue. It COULD be a bent shaft but if you haven't nosed it in then that's highly unlikely.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
To update...

Put on more piece of tape on the prop, seemed to be what was needed. Took off back to the field with 5 fresh Hyperions... nearly zero wind. Put up the B3D, absolutely quiet except for the sound of the prop cutting through the air. Well.. that and a lot of servo noise, likely has been there all along but could not hear it over the stock motor. No wing wiggle. After 5 flights no noise or vibration. Gotta say... officially... thank you guys who put in the research on this combo, and shared it here. THIS is what I was looking for, love the new power and speed of this plane now. Feels like about 2/3-3/4 throttle now is the same as full throttle on the stock setup. It gets small real quick lol. Just to see I did a flyby about 5' up, full throttle, pulled up straight vertical in a roll. About 200' up it slowed some, but kept climbing and rolling straight up... and keep pulling... had to be about 400'.. nothing but a black dot, and still climbing. I had to pull out and decend, because she would keep going, and had almost lost visibilty... very very nice.
Last edited by dragonshade; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Anyone have a problem with their elevator servo going out? Mine is completely frozen no matter what I do.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Anyone have a problem with their elevator servo going out? Mine is completely frozen no matter what I do.
This is the first one I've heard about. How many flights? Any crashes/previous damage? When the battery is unplugged can you roll the little servo gear by hand and does it move freely? Does the elevator move when you do this? Is it frozen centered of full deflection? Is the push rod bound up in any way?

If it is full deflection it may just be stuck, these linear servos can get stuck at the ends of their travel.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Checkout the link below.

http://www.parkflyingfun.com/ParkZone_linear_servo.html

You can use CRC electrical contact cleaner with an extension tube to spray clean the servo strips without disassembling the servo. You'll need to carefully cut away the tape that holds the top fuse in place to get to the servo. Hold the plane directly upwards as you spray into the servo.

Followup with a few drops of Deoxit. Do not spray this stuff directly in the servo. It will not evaporate like CRC contact cleaner. Use a fine tipped dropper.

You can get the CRC from Home Depot, and Deoxit from Radio Shack or online.

The following possibilities are (1) your servo is sticking because it has lost its signal - dirt, oil, glue, foam debri, an elephant.

(2) Also check the motor wires to make sure they were not pulled off by the linkages and control rods.

(3) else you might have dirt caught in the gear teeth preventing the servo from turning.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 21, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Checkout the link below.

http://www.parkflyingfun.com/ParkZone_linear_servo.html

You can use CRC electrical contact cleaner with an extension tube to spray clean the servo strips without disassembling the servo. You'll need to carefully cut away the tape that holds the top fuse in place to get to the servo. Hold the plane directly upwards as you spray into the servo.

Followup with a few drops of Deoxit. Do not spray this stuff directly in the servo. It will not evaporate like CRC contact cleaner. Use a fine tipped dropper.

You can get the CRC from Home Depot, and Deoxit from Radio Shack or online.

The following possibilities are (1) your servo is sticking because it has lost its signal - dirt, oil, glue, foam debri, an elephant.

(2) Also check the motor wires to make sure they were not pulled off by the linkages and control rods.

(3) else you might have dirt caught in the gear teeth preventing the servo from turning.

Question... I am still getting chatter out of one of my aileron servos, can I spray CRC onact cleaner right into it? Will it eat the foam.. rather not remove the servo as I'd have to cut it out, then reglue.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
This is the first one I've heard about. How many flights? Any crashes/previous damage? When the battery is unplugged can you roll the little servo gear by hand and does it move freely? Does the elevator move when you do this? Is it frozen centered of full deflection? Is the push rod bound up in any way?

If it is full deflection it may just be stuck, these linear servos can get stuck at the ends of their travel.

-Brian
20+ flights. No crashes whatsoever or previous damage. It looks to be as if the servo is quite discolored on the "bar" that runs through the length of the servo. It doesnt move freely at all, it needs some force to roll it along. It was stuck at full deflection, the push rod was moving freely.

Thanks to you and silver. It just needs to be replaced as at this point I dont even want to risk it. I had a rudder servo stick but it had some dust or dirt and was easily fixed with compressed air (this was a different as3x board than the one with the elevator issue)

This elevator issue destroyed my beautiful beast Left side wings are completely broken off and fuse is pretty bad. Sucks because 20 flights.. is still relatively new. Oh well no more beast for a while...
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,270 Posts
Quote:
20+ flights. No crashes whatsoever or previous damage. It looks to be as if the servo is quite discolored on the "bar" that runs through the length of the servo. It doesnt move freely at all, it needs some force to roll it along. It was stuck at full deflection, the push rod was moving freely.

Thanks to you and silver. It just needs to be replaced as at this point I dont even want to risk it. I had a rudder servo stick but it had some dust or dirt and was easily fixed with compressed air (this was a different as3x board than the one with the elevator issue)

This elevator issue destroyed my beautiful beast Left side wings are completely broken off and fuse is pretty bad. Sucks because 20 flights.. is still relatively new. Oh well no more beast for a while...
Have you contacted HH? They should do something about that for you. I wouldn't pay $140 for less than 40 flights then the crash that takes it down is due to stock servo failure. I'd say that's a little premature for a failure like that and they should hook you up.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Question... I am still getting chatter out of one of my aileron servos, can I spray CRC onact cleaner right into it? Will it eat the foam.. rather not remove the servo as I'd have to cut it out, then reglue.
No, it will not eat the foam. It will breakdown oils though, and if it is an oily type foam then it will dry it out eventually. Works great on Multiplex's Elopar foam. I use it to prep the stuff before painting. By yourself a can of Duster compressed air in a can to quicken CRC's evaporation. It's not needed but neat to watch. Don't forget to add a few drops of Deoxit afterwards. Use a bulb with a fine tip to place the drops in the servo - get these by the handful at your LHS. Here's an example:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB970&P=0

(Keep CRC away from your motor's bearings or any other bearings.)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Cool

Finally got to maiden my B3D, wanted to do the servo covers 1st.
Glued a disc inside the spinner, and did away with the backing plate, screw stays with the spinner.
Added .020" CF to strengthen the elev.
Plane is weird, floats around nose high, looking like its going to fall out of the sky, pretty much silent and stable, then add some throttle, and it just accelerates away.
Because of its size, it looks fast.
All stock other wise.
Got 5 minutes from the E-flite 180, about half capacity left.
I like slow, so will be ordering max 200ma batteries, to keep it light.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Last edited by RUDDERLESS; Mar 22, 2012 at 08:09 PM.