HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Ca challenged

HI
How does one apply a real small amount of CA.
Also, how do I remove the wheel pants.

Thanks, RUD.
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:09 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
Think you have to use the beast servos, IE, 1.9 grams w/ball bearings.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...d=SPMAS2000LBB

The 1.7grams should WORK, however, the reason that they put the 1.9's in the beast is because of the constant chattering. According to them, the regular servos would likely wear out quickly. Whether it's true or not... *shrugs* however, I'd get a pair of 1.9's to be safe.
That is wrong according to HH employees. I think you have the right idea but the wrong servos. You need to use the 2.3g servos SA2030L. The others WILL fail sooner rather than later for the reasons you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post
HI
How does one apply a real small amount of CA.

Thanks, RUD.
don't squeeze the bottle as hard?

Seriously if I need to apply a small amount of CA I squeeze some onto a toothpick and use that to apply it to where it goes. I know they make neat little nozzles that you can buy, but I'm all for the free method.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post
Just land in some grass, they will remove themselves
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpilot View Post
just land in some grass, they will remove themselves
:d :d!!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpilot View Post
just land in some grass, they will remove themselves
Good one!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,084 Posts
Mine sure did!

Not a fan of them anyway, they're not propper spats just decorative...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I've been told they won't... that they're moving on to new products with their AS3X system and they only did the Beast because of its large following.

There really is no step-by-step. It's a very simple "out with the old, in with the new". Use the opportunity to get the CG right! Install that AS3X board back. Measure the CG with battery before you glue it in position.

And, don't forget to change out the aileron servos for the new HD servos for the Beast 3D.

But step-by-step? It starts with "cut the tape". Really... I would know how to write it.
Ok. About how I thought it would go! I might have to do this. It's a good little project and it will give me a good reason to fly the Sbach again.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Not a fan of them anyway, they're not propper spats just decorative

Just land in some grass, they will remove themselves

Mine sure did!

:d :d!!! ...
Um, thanks guys, ..........I think.

FAST
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
So....the indoor B3D now has 1.25" Dubro 'tundra-tires', a V1 motor, and for now, a 5030. The outdoor B3D now has a V1 motor & 5043.
Joel
Joel, I just tried to put dubro wheels on my beast. How did you secure the tires? I tired the stock wheelpants clip and it is either to tight(wheel will not turn) or to loose (rotates by itself/ wheelpants point down in flight). This is just with 1 rotation of the wheelpants from too tight to too loose. For obvious reasons I can't leave it anywhere in between.

Could I use this?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Joel, I just tried to put dubro wheels on my beast. How did you secure the tires?
-Brian
After much abuse, my B3D's wheel pants were retired a few weeks ago, and the tiny stock wheels upsized -- for increased rolling pleasure and fewer tipovers on grass. Also, I like the Bush Beast look of the oversize tires, and the Art Deco look of the hubs reminds me of the biplane era.

The new wheels are held in place by pierced-ear backs, which wifey gets from Joann's Fabrics. Up against the inboard face of each wheel, slipped over the LG wire, is a sleeve of small-diameter heat shrink tube to reduce wheel-wobble.

Despite the larger wheels, the Beast still fits in its carry-box.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Joel, I just tried to put dubro wheels on my beast. How did you secure the tires? I tired the stock wheelpants clip and it is either to tight(wheel will not turn) or to loose (rotates by itself/ wheelpants point down in flight). This is just with 1 rotation of the wheelpants from too tight to too loose. For obvious reasons I can't leave it anywhere in between.

Could I use this?

-Brian
Brian,

I use the stock clips. When I'm flying without the pants, the orientation of the clips doesn't matter, so I just tighten the clips appropriately. With the pants on, I use a drop of ca to keep them from rotating. The plastic threadlocker aught to work just fine.

Remember that the plane will be nose-heavy with the 'tundra tires'. Check the CG before flying. The pack will likely end up about as far back as you can get it. I went against my rule of not adding dead-weight to performance planes & ended up sticking a couple of T-pins in the tail so I could get the CG back to the sweet-spot with my homebrew Hyp 240 packs.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,084 Posts
Joel, are you serious that oversized tyres about 1" fwd of CG needed some pins in the tail to balance?

The u/c should be close enough to CG to make next to no difference. I know with my Sbach and Sukhoi XP that flying with or without u/c makes no difference to the handling.

Sorry if I seem rude Joel, it is a genuine question - I have been taking notice of your good input and advice since I started on this forum
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Joel, are you serious that oversized tyres about 1" fwd of CG needed some pins in the tail to balance?

The u/c should be close enough to CG to make next to no difference. I know with my Sbach and Sukhoi XP that flying with or without u/c makes no difference to the handling.

Sorry if I seem rude Joel, it is a genuine question - I have been taking notice of your good input and advice since I started on this forum
SP,

I don't think you're being rude at all. And thanks for the kind words!

It depends on one's flying style. For pattern/precision flying, a 1-2mm shift in CG on these planes can make the difference between a nice uncoupled KE pass & one that requires elevator input to prevent pulling to the canopy or tucking to the belly. When flying 3D, a 1-2mm shift can make the difference between a killer hover & one that falls off within a few seconds, a shaky harrier & one with zero wing-rock, or a nose-down spin & a nice flat-spin.

Yes, the larger wheels are very noticeable on the Beast and Sbach. At just over 1g each, they're a lot heavier than the stock wheels. I only use the large wheels for flying off the AstroTurf at our indoor spot. I prefer to fly my indoor Beast 3D with an aft CG - around 20-21mm. With my Hyp 240s, I couldn't get there without tail ballast. Both of my Sbachs were slightly nose-heavy out-of-the-box. Adding the heavier wheels to my indoor Sbach only made things worse. So, it got a couple of T-pins as well. I need to get around to extending the Sbach's battery compartment so I can get rid of the ballast.

When I flew the XP sans gear, I found that the battery needed to be moved forward about 1cm to maintain uncoupled KE performance, as the lack of gear made it just a bit tail-heavy.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post
For you guys who are putting your Beast AS3X bick in other planes, which aileron servos are you using?
Thanks
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
I used the newer 2.3g servos made for the AS3x system. $13 at wholesaletrains.com
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I'd like to transfer my B3D brick, motor and servos into a more durable airframe.....the UM F-27Q Stryker.

There doesn't appear to be any report of anyone doing that, so far.

Would it work, since the Stryker has an elevon setup? (My TX is the DX6i.)

Anybody actually tried it?

Dave
The orientation of the board must be the same as the Beast 3D. So you'd have to cut the foam or the cover. You can stand it's side, but then the elevator and rudder gyros would be in the wrong orientation.

I don't think elevon mixing from the TX will be interpreted correctly by the gyros, but I haven't tried it yet.

One setup that I know will work....canards. Anyhow, If you get the elevons working, you'll have one awesome windy day flyer. Goodluck.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM.