Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
That sounds like the end of EVERY flight of mine....... Ok, not quite, but yes, I do scare myself quite often. My beastie is gonna need some replacement wings pretty soon.....
LOL

I've replaced the B3D's wings, and done several rounds of various other repairs.

She don't pirouette quite so sweet anymore.........

So, while I still fly her (plus a bunch of other rescue birds), I daydream of the next generation of objects of desire -- which I hope will be appearing soon in our LHS!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:28 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
So, while I still fly her (plus a bunch of other rescue birds), I daydream of the next generation of objects of desire -- which I hope will be appearing soon in our LHS!

I can pick up a full scale p-51 in my LHS ?!?! SIGN ME UP!!

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,046 Posts
Which aileron servos for AS3X

For you guys who are putting your Beast AS3X bick in other planes, which aileron servos are you using?
Thanks
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post
For you guys who are putting your Beast AS3X bick in other planes, which aileron servos are you using?
Thanks
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Think you have to use the beast servos, IE, 1.9 grams w/ball bearings.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...d=SPMAS2000LBB

The 1.7grams should WORK, however, the reason that they put the 1.9's in the beast is because of the constant chattering. According to them, the regular servos would likely wear out quickly. Whether it's true or not... *shrugs* however, I'd get a pair of 1.9's to be safe.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post
Thanks
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
Think you have to use the beast servos, IE, 1.9 grams w/ball bearings.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...d=SPMAS2000LBB

The 1.7grams should WORK, however, the reason that they put the 1.9's in the beast is because of the constant chattering. According to them, the regular servos would likely wear out quickly. Whether it's true or not... *shrugs* however, I'd get a pair of 1.9's to be safe.
Yup... the HD servos went on the wings of my Sbach when the Beast 3D brick went in.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,465 Posts
Beast 3D guts into UM Stryker?

I'd like to transfer my B3D brick, motor and servos into a more durable airframe.....the UM F-27Q Stryker.

There doesn't appear to be any report of anyone doing that, so far.

Would it work, since the Stryker has an elevon setup? (My TX is the DX6i.)

Anybody actually tried it?

Dave
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to transfer my B3D brick, motor and servos into a more durable airframe.....the UM F-27Q Stryker.

There doesn't appear to be any report of anyone doing that, so far.

Would it work, since the Stryker has an elevon setup? (My TX is the DX6i.)

Anybody actually tried it?

Dave
1. You'd have to run each elevon on a separate channel and then the AS3X system would only work on one.
2. Does the DX6i have elevon mixing?
3. That brick may well not fit in the Stryker? It's pretty cramped.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
1. You'd have to run each elevon on a separate channel and then the AS3X system would only work on one.
2. Does the DX6i have elevon mixing?
3. That brick may well not fit in the Stryker? It's pretty cramped.
Thanks, Erkq!

3. So I'd dig out a little foam... not a big deal?

2. I use my DX6i for my UM Stryker and its big brother, too. The elevons work just fine on the TX's wing/tail elevon mix.

1. This is the issue that's most mysterious to me. What does this mean, in practical "AS3X for Dummies" language? What flight controls would/could I have, either with regular functioning or with AS3X doing its thing as well?

Dave
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Erkq!

3. So I'd dig out a little foam... not a big deal?

2. I use my DX6i for my UM Stryker and its big brother, too. The elevons work just fine on the TX's wing/tail elevon mix.

1. This is the issue that's most mysterious to me. What does this mean, in practical "AS3X for Dummies" language? What flight controls would/could I have, either with regular functioning or with AS3X doing its thing as well?

Dave
On second thought, I don't think this would work at all. I put my AS3X board in an Sbach and it flies great! Try that, you won't be disappointed!

It won't work because the elevator gyro is connected to only one servo output at the receiver so there's nothing you can do with mixes for that. You need the elevator gyro to act on both elevons. Just think what would happen if only a single elevon were used to correct pitch!

The ailerons have a similar problem.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,465 Posts
Quote:
On second thought, I don't think this would work at all. I put my AS3X board in an Sbach and it flies great! Try that, you won't be disappointed!.....
Drat.

I'll ponder your Sbach suggestion.

/Waiting for the newest cool stuff (Carbon Cub, UM Spitfire, MiG-15, etc.) to arrive, and looking to try something interesting in the meantime..........

Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Drat.

I'll ponder your Sbach suggestion.

/Waiting for the newest cool stuff (Carbon Cub, UM Spitfire, MiG-15, etc.) to arrive, and looking to try something interesting in the meantime..........

IMHO, the FrankenBach is very interesting. I'd do that if I were you! I love it. Wait... did I already say that?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
IMHO, the FrankenBach is very interesting. I'd do that if I were you! I love it. Wait... did I already say that?
You may have done this already but I'd be curious to see a step by step tutorial on how you did this (at least the major steps... don't need details on the pushrod construction or stuff like that unless there's more to it than I think there is!).

Actually... I bet they'll be coming out with one soon. You think?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I'm also curious as to why you like the AS3X modded Sbach moreso than you do the 3D Beast. I've always enjoyed my Sbach but I just wasn't in love with it. How does AS3X change it? Is it fair for me to assume that if I enjoyed the non-AS3X Beast a lot more than the non-AS3X Sbach that I'd feel mostly the same way about both models after the AS3X upgrade?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
You may have done this already but I'd be curious to see a step by step tutorial on how you did this (at least the major steps... don't need details on the pushrod construction or stuff like that unless there's more to it than I think there is!).

Actually... I bet they'll be coming out with one soon. You think?
I've been told they won't... that they're moving on to new products with their AS3X system and they only did the Beast because of its large following.

There really is no step-by-step. It's a very simple "out with the old, in with the new". Use the opportunity to get the CG right! Install that AS3X board back. Measure the CG with battery before you glue it in position.

And, don't forget to change out the aileron servos for the new HD servos for the Beast 3D.

But step-by-step? It starts with "cut the tape". Really... I would know how to write it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'm also curious as to why you like the AS3X modded Sbach moreso than you do the 3D Beast. I've always enjoyed my Sbach but I just wasn't in love with it. How does AS3X change it? Is it fair for me to assume that if I enjoyed the non-AS3X Beast a lot more than the non-AS3X Sbach that I'd feel mostly the same way about both models after the AS3X upgrade?
It's a different beast for sure. It cuts the wind better, less floaty, faster, more precise. It does pattern stuff really well, on rails, but not a great 3D performer. In all fairness, the SBach was never marketed as a 3D airplane. And, I'm not good enough to really evaluate it.

But the wind handling is way better. I was flying the Sbach in very strong winds and having fun. Then I put the Beast 3D up and initially thought there was something wrong with the radio! It was a dramatic difference.

I'd say your last statement is probably right.