HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Joel's testing suggests that the 2300 motor is about the same as the stock prop for actual measured static rpm. It is noticeably quieter though so if you switch now you'll get a quieter plane.

Just go to GWS Props website. You can order directly from them and it will arrive in less than a week usually. Order a few to save on shipping and to have spares on hand.

-Brian

Thanks Brian, no not really worried about the noise issue, just performance... so guess I wait.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Feb 2010
98 Posts
could someone please point to to how to fit and set cg for the hyperion 240mah packs. I just got this bird and cant get the the cg right or the pack to fit properly in there with the cowl. Did several searches but im really not finding a pic or detailed enough asnwer to this yet. thanks guys!
aquaanox is offline Find More Posts by aquaanox
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaanox View Post
could someone please point to to how to fit and set cg for the hyperion 240mah packs. I just got this bird and cant get the the cg right or the pack to fit properly in there with the cowl. Did several searches but im really not finding a pic or detailed enough asnwer to this yet. thanks guys!
One problem is the cowl's tab is too big to fit with a fatter 240 battery. I just take it off. I used to replace it with a tiny CF strip, but that really isn't necessary.

Then, to get the battery back far enough, you can glue a plastic strip to it and stick the Velcro tab on the end of the strip. Some people even use milk carton material. That way you can use the strip to place the battery as far into the Beast's body as you need while the Velcro is still out where you can easily reach it.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
98 Posts
ah thanks! ill remove the tab. So how far back does the 240 pack need to go ? im finding it sorta hard to try and balance this thing at 19mm..
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
ah thanks! ill remove the tab. So how far back does the 240 pack need to go ? im finding it sorta hard to try and balance this thing at 19mm..
That's an "it all depends" question. It's all over the place. Some stick out 1/4 of the battery, some have to be completely hidden. "It needs to go as far back as it needs to go" is the correct answer. Not trying to be difficult. That's just the variability of this airframe.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:07 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Aquaanox,

As Erkq mentioned - due to the inherent inconsistency of foam density & small variations in the amount of adhesive used in construction, it all depends. At this scale, a gram in the wrong place can make a big difference in battery placement. For a reference, here's where my 14.5g homebrew Hyp 240 pack ended up. Factory Hyp 240 UMX packs are heavier, so they'll have to be mounted further aft to achieve the same CG.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Feb 2010
98 Posts
thank you thank you. One last question. what are you all using to measure the cg.. this is my first bipe.. so if i try to just balance it with my fingers its tail heavy if i try from the top wing, and nose heavy from the bottom wing.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Has anyone tried using an as3x beast board in any other planes?? I put one in my hobbyking durafly micro slick 360 and its freaking monster lol! Trying another build of a hk plane this weekend.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:20 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
thank you thank you. One last question. what are you all using to measure the cg.. this is my first bipe.. so if i try to just balance it with my fingers its tail heavy if i try from the top wing, and nose heavy from the bottom wing.
Here are photos of my quick and easy, field-deployable Beast balancer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=342

Dave
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Has anyone tried using an as3x beast board in any other planes?? I put one in my hobbyking durafly micro slick 360 and its freaking monster lol! Trying another build of a hk plane this weekend.
Yes, I put one in a UM Sbach. It's my favorite plane now!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I'm starting to figure out torque rolls with this plane now. It's all about getting your CG back far enough and entering the first turn of the torque roll while perfectly balanced.

It's a little windy here today (about 10ish or so with some gusts up to around 15) and I had to have done one torque roll that completed about 50 or so rotations and traveled about 50 yards (due to the wind). At one point I was even holding full left aileron. It was crazy!

I'll keep practicing and get some on video soon.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Still waiting on my new prop, and running the orginal motor/prop currently. Weird too... last 20 or so flights my problem motor has not acted up in the least. I think Joel had mentioned that I could run the V1/5043 with no backing plate on the spinner because it will not fit?? Just CA the spinner on the prop?

Almost lost the B3D this past Saturday. 5 flights in and was doing/trying some 3D stuff. Completely circled the huge field in a knife-edge and then went to try another hover (have managed a couple). Read here on this forum always try things 3-4 mistakes high, and a good thing... I made 3 mistakes. Too little throttle, plane tipped and stalled backwards, reacted opposite of what I should have and then was "behind" the plane. As I realized what was happening and the plane was now headed down 1/2 throttle into the ground, reacted again... wrong again, then again wrong... happened soo fast, a combination of errors, did the opposite of all I should have, each time. Finally (and do ask me how, I still do not know) in a final panic I pulled the plane up about 20" off the ground, and watched it climb back into the sky unbelieving, while in my mind I had commited to it being smashed into bits. It would have been ugly. Now for the real weird part... talk about adreneline, total fight or flight. Heart pounding, hands shaky lol. After that felt really disconnected to the plane, and pretty much did a circuit and just landed and went home. Really freaked me out, almost to the point of thinking maybe I should not be flying these things... well almost lol.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Last edited by dragonshade; Mar 12, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Still waiting on my new prop, and running the orginal motor/prop currently. Weird too... last 20 or so flights my problem motor has not acted up in the least. I think Joel had mentioned that I could run the V1/5043 with no backing plate on the spinner because it will not fit?? Just CA the spinner on the prop?
As seen here, by somebody else, I glued a small thin disc cut from from lettuce container plastic, inside the spinner, left off the backing plate and added a 1/4" dia. plastic spacer to make up for the back plate thicknes.
Screw stays with the spinner.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Last edited by RUDDERLESS; Mar 12, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
After that felt really disconnected to the plane, and pretty much did a circuit and just landed and went home. Really freaked me out, almost to the point of thinking maybe I should not be flying these things... well almost lol.
That sounds like the end of EVERY flight of mine....... Ok, not quite, but yes, I do scare myself quite often. My beastie is gonna need some replacement wings pretty soon.....
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
After that felt really disconnected to the plane, and pretty much did a circuit and just landed and went home. Really freaked me out, almost to the point of thinking maybe I should not be flying these things... well almost lol.
Everyone that's ever flown has had that exact same feeling. You did the right thing to pack up I think. Unless I have time to regain my nerves I will usually just pack it in.

But I'm convinced that every time you go through something like that you learn a little more. An eventually... Everyone crashes. It's unavoidable and a natural part of the learning curve.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm