HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
I gotta ask...

3 Days since I could fly (bad winds). Last time I put up the B3D was 11 flights in light winds (3-6 mph). Since then I installed a single 1mm, 3" CF rod under the elevator, then a small piece of tape. I had figured maybe this would increase a touch of weight to the tail and perhaps I'd have to add a click down elevator to compensate. I put the battery in the same place as last flights and put up in a dead calm sunset. No level flight at all... pretty much get off the sticks and it's close to a 45 degree angle to the ground. I know winds add lots of lift, and lol have not had a calm sky in weeks, but seemed more than noticeable when I was expecting the opposite. Took another 2cm back on the battery and 4-5 clicks up elevator to get level. When I look down the plane from the prop, yes I see the CF rods and they do increase drag I guess on the bottom of the elevators. Do you guys see a huge difference with calm vs small winds with this draggy airframe, or have you noticed a change after adding CF? Btw.. the surfaces do look normal, checked em.

Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:44 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Do you guys see a huge difference with calm vs small winds with this draggy airframe, or have you noticed a change after adding CF?

Ray
I don't see much difference between windy and calm other than the expected crab in a crosswind. Actually the one thing I can notice is that when its calm I get more wing waggle from AS3X servo corrections, probably cause I fly it faster when its calm.

I noticed no change with my CF elevator mod, or with the wing repairs. Did you add the CF aft of the servo horn? is it possible that you glued it in such a way that you pulled/angled the horn back some? This would pull the elevator down so that you'd get a nose down. This would not be unique to calm conditions though.

Check control surface alignment and if possible post a pic here so we can see what we're dealing with.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Interesting. Yes, right behind the horn, actually CA'd to the very back of the horn, and then across the length of the elevator. After 4-5 clicks of trim the elevator is up a touch (as I'd expect) from level... to get level flight.

And no this was the maiden after the CF mod... just happened to be perfectly calm after the plane had been trimmed in 3-6 mph wind last few flights.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. Yes, right behind the horn, actually CA'd to the very back of the horn, and then across the length of the elevator. After 4-5 clicks of trim the elevator is up a touch (as I'd expect) from level... to get level flight.

And no this was the maiden after the CF mod... just happened to be perfectly calm after the plane had been trimmed in 3-6 mph wind last few flights.
DS,

I suggest that you first mechanically trim the plane for level flight to get rid of the tx trim, then do the inverted flight CG check & the KE flight CG check & see what happens.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
DS,

I suggest that you first mechanically trim the plane for level flight to get rid of the tx trim, then do the inverted flight CG check & the KE flight CG check & see what happens.

Joel

Have not heard of either Joel. Hate to ask but can you explain how to do that. BTW... inverted flight is no prob, knife edges have done a couple, but I am a 3D noob for sure.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:09 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Have not heard of either Joel. Hate to ask but can you explain how to do that. BTW... inverted flight is no prob, knife edges have done a couple, but I am a 3D noob for sure.
Here is a link to a trimming guide click here.

-Brian
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:07 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
DS,

To supplement the guide that Brian posted, see my blog thread on flight-trimming aerobatic planes. For those who are new to the hobby, I put together a non-technical explanation of what's going on. There is also a downloadable flight-trimming & troubleshooting guide, courtesy of the NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2012
93 Posts
So I can use the controller I got with my mSRx or mCX2 to control the Beast 3D?
MileHighTakeOff is offline Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,488 Posts
Yes, it will bind and work.

Depending on the model type of the Tx though, the resolution or feel of control may not be as good as a DX** type. Range may also be reduced...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:37 AM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
They should bind as far as I can tell, as they're DSM2. Problem is, I don't know if they're configured specifically for heli use. (I know nothing about heli's, except that they're ugly. I keed, I keed.) The other issue is range. Those little black transmitters are for close-in work. The Beast can cover quite a bit of real-estate in a hurry. So you should be able to do it, but it's probably not the wisest choice....
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
93 Posts
Thanks guys. I know what you mean about the range. I got a little to adventerous with my Champ...
MileHighTakeOff is offline Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,488 Posts
The mSRx and mCX2 are fixed pitch helis so the Tx should not have any mixing to worry about
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighTakeOff View Post
Thanks guys. I know what you mean about the range. I got a little to adventerous with my Champ...
Yep... I got impatient to fly my AS3X equipped SBach while my DX6i was out for repair and my DX8 hadn't arrived yet. Used the black transmitter and lost radio contact out a ways. Fortunately it went down in tall grass with no damage. But I won't do that again!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Ready to choke my LHS guy... V1 motor is in, spinner... but the idiot never ordered my 5043 prop even though he assured me he did. Wondering if there is any point to even put in the V1 motor as I only have the stock B3D prop. Is it even worth it for now, or will it even work? anyone know.

Extra nice because I have the next 3 days off and great weather

BTW... does anyone have a good part # for the GWS 5043 prop in black?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Wondering if there is any point to even put in the V1 motor as I only have the stock B3D prop. Is it even worth it for now, or will it even work? anyone know.
Joel's testing suggests that the 2300 motor is about the same as the stock prop for actual measured static rpm. It is noticeably quieter though so if you switch now you'll get a quieter plane.

Quote:
BTW... does anyone have a good part # for the GWS 5043 prop in black?
Just go to GWS Props website. You can order directly from them and it will arrive in less than a week usually. Order a few to save on shipping and to have spares on hand.

-Brian