SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:04 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Well, despite the fact that it might bring about my own destruction, I have no choice. I need to get those aileron servos clean. The left one is doing a lot of chattering, and they've started to make a LOT more noise than usual. I'm assuming I have a small salt buildup inside the servo mechanics, and that needs to be cleaned. However, upon trying to disassemble the servo..... I can't. The screws that hold the mechanics onto the board is not going ANYWHERE. All 4 of them are the same way. Anyone have some ideas on how to get those things out? For obvious reasons, I hate to use force..... I'm thinking they're loc-tited in though. Not a good sign.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:12 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
I don't know if it's possible, but you might try touching a soldering iron to the screw and then trying to back it out? If it's some type of glue or loctite, that should get it free. Or destroy it in the process.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
Well, despite the fact that it might bring about my own destruction, I have no choice. I need to get those aileron servos clean. The left one is doing a lot of chattering, and they've started to make a LOT more noise than usual. I'm assuming I have a small salt buildup inside the servo mechanics, and that needs to be cleaned. However, upon trying to disassemble the servo..... I can't. The screws that hold the mechanics onto the board is not going ANYWHERE. All 4 of them are the same way. Anyone have some ideas on how to get those things out? For obvious reasons, I hate to use force..... I'm thinking they're loc-tited in though. Not a good sign.

Wish I knew, but please keep us posted on this in detail... think we will all have to deal with this sooner or later.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:22 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,885 Posts
Quote:
I love flying this plane but I am so old, fat fingered and blind that the thought of working on those teeney wheeney bits scares me!! Let us know how you go with this as stated previously many will be interested. Thx.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,959 Posts
Quote:
deoxIT - get it at Radio Shack in my area. No need to take servos off board, spray, work them back and forth until you are tired, let set for an hour or so, and do it again.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
Having problems with my ESC staring the motor at the proper time or input

hi guys i love my Beast 3d but i need to much throttle input to start the motor and thats not acceptable.
This is a brand new plane, im following the proper procedures (or at least i think lol)
1-take the throttle and trim to lowest position, start my transmitter bind it to the plane. everything goes great and all the input except the throttle works perfect. (ailerons, rudder, elevator are fully proportional and centered)
2- for me to get into flyable status i need to put transmitter throttle trim to maximum to get it work.

i made a video showing the problem, pls watch it, and tell me whats wrong and if i should return the plane.
Problem with esc on B3D (2 min 24 sec)

thxs in advance
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
Last edited by jaas75; Mar 05, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
deoxIT - get it at Radio Shack in my area. No need to take servos off board, spray, work them back and forth until you are tired, let set for an hour or so, and do it again.
That's also what I recommended a couple pages back. DeoxIT FaderLube F5

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafett1138
The screws used require a JIS screwdriver. Get the best, Moody's JIS set of four - #000, #00, #0, and #1. The Spektrum servos use either #000 or #00....sorry i don't remember which. Loc-tite is not used since the screws thread into plastic. The Philips driver your using is bottoming out at the point, and it's too narrow.

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm

http://www.instructables.com/id/When...rial-Standard/

Example JIS online retailer

http://www.clubheli.com/Hand-Tools_c_110.html

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/moody.cfm

Some LHS's carry Moody's. Especially if they sell micro helis.

You are correct, they are dirty and are making intermittent contact. Try the Deoxit, but I'd also like to suggest Contact Cleaner first. The CC will break down and remove any gummy residue, and oils - keep it away from bearings. Deoxit will dissolve oxidation (arcing being the main producer of oxidation), and minimize arcing. After applying CC, you might want to blow pressurized air into the servo. This will help the CC evaporate quicker, and it will also blow away the loosened grime. Cc below will not melt the foam.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

http://www.falconsafety.com/shopFalc...aspx?ItemId=67

I have a suspicious theory that someone at the factory is putting a few drops of lubricating machine oil into these servos. That's a bad thing if so. The oil not only attracts dust and dirt, but it creates an 'insulating' layer of lubricant - that's how oils are suppose to work. Why you should never use oil inside these Linear servos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubricant

Further reference:
http://www.connectorsupplier.com/tec...ce_1-23-07.htm
http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...-faders-219973
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 06, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
Pls guys look at my post (#1626) and help me out figuring out what is the problem with my plane or transmitter that its not giving proper input info to the ESC.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:11 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,276 Posts
Jaas, that looks fine!

If it really bugs you about the throttle trim needing to be up a bit then I believe there is a way to tell the ESC what your throttle end points are.

Not sure exactly how to do this myself, but I'm sure someone can help if you need.

btw, what Tx is that
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:14 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaas75 View Post
Pls guys look at my post (#1626) and help me out figuring out what is the problem with my plane or transmitter that its not giving proper input info to the ESC.
Hi Jaas,

Download the manual for the 6400LBL, and turn to page 9. It is the programming options for the esc, and it is the same for the AS3X board. You'll want to set item #3. Also you want to bind with the throttle trim already set to the lowest value.

Procedure is very similar to this

HobbyKing Turnigy ESC - Throttle Stick Programming (2 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 06, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:27 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaas75 View Post
hi guys i love my Beast 3d but i need to much throttle input to start the motor and thats not acceptable.
This is a brand new plane, im following the proper procedures (or at least i think lol)
1-take the throttle and trim to lowest position, start my transmitter bind it to the plane. everything goes great and all the input except the throttle works perfect. (ailerons, rudder, elevator are fully proportional and centered)
2- for me to get into flyable status i need to put transmitter throttle trim to maximum to get it work.
thxs in advance
What TX is that? FlySky TH9X - right?
Also when the TX is at 0 trim your motor starts about the same as my Beast3d, maybe very slightly later but its close. I'd look at the manual like Silverexpress mentioned if it bugs you or you're not getting full power at full throttle.

AR6400LBL Manual

Go to page 9: Change the throttle range to 1.1 - 1.9ms instead of the default 1.2 - 1.8ms. My guess is that TX is set to that range. That would explain the late throttle engagement with the trim is low. Maybe one of the pros here will also chime in.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Mar 06, 2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: More into
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
thxs guys, ill chk when ever i get home
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
after reading the manual, it makes sense why i might have this problem, but now im worried that i messed up all the settings, cuz looking back (when i binded first time) it took me a few minutes to figure out wish channel was what. (for anyone who wants to know in spektrum systems channel 1 thr 2ail 3 elev 4 rud). and mine while i was playing around i heard lots of beeps.

anyway to reset to default the ESC?? (correct settings of timing, starting rate, pwm switching (dunno was that for) ,mode specifically for the Beast 3d)

thxs again
Last edited by jaas75; Mar 06, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:08 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Everything is at the default setting for these boards.

1. Rebind the tx and rx with the throttle trim set to the lowest value
2. Power everything down
3. Powerup the tx and set the throttle stick in the highest position
4. Power up the rx.
5. Sit back and just listen to the beeps inorder to get familiar with the sequences.
6. As long as you leave the throttle stick in the highest position, no values will be changed.
7. Just let it cycle over and over thru the options till you get your ears tuned to the differences. Have page 9 in hand for reference. You can power down the rx and tx in this state and nothing will be changed. Its only when you move the throttle stick down after a set of beeps signifying an item under an option.

So listen to the beeps till you get familiar.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 06, 2012 at 12:01 PM.